Lounge filmic

And this is all post work done in GIMP, which does, to me, seem better. I’ve probably not helped myself by making this my first go with the denoising build, and I should problably up the samples and reduce the denoising. This is at 1000 samples, compared with the original which was around 3,200 samples.

EDIT: My problem with this is the whiskey is washed out too much. I guess I could fix that in post, too, with more effort.

EDIT 2: This was a very quick and dirty correction.

Note to self. Don’t do final compositing in Blender, and fix what doesn’t composite well.

Attachments

Thank you. You have me looking at my post work in a completely new way. I think I’m done rendering, and starting on refining post for this image.

This thread hurt my eyes.
Not to read. Love readING.
But my eyes are watering what with all the adjusting to blurry images, not blurry images…and then images that are twice as blurry as the blurry ones…back to not blurry.
Not a moderator, but WIP’s have a section.
If we’re going with the last image as “finished”, the floor seems to morph, just past the door, from wood to glass.
Reflections on furniture seem…muted. I know the paintings on the wall are not the focal point, but my eye keeps going back to them, as if to tell my brain that I am not far enough away for them to be this blurry.

@outlaw11091 you had me worried then. I thought I was playing in a final images thread for a minute.

I don’t see the blurriness on the paintings, but maybe that’s my ageing eyes. Easily fixed with higher res image maps, though it could also be the canvas texture that’s causing it.

I kinda take the point re the floor, though it may simply be that the HDRI used for reflections is too strong, and could be toned down a bit.

I don’s see the point regarding furniture reflections. The only furniture where I would expect to see stronger reflections is the coffee table, though that has a dust map which would mute the reflections anyway. Perhaps I’ve gone too strong with that?

Actually, that was a phrasing issue on my part.
Had to edit post for typos before now have to correct wording…shouldn’t do this when I’m tired.

I said, “Reflections on furniture seem…muted”
What I meant to say: COLORS on furniture seem…muted.
I was thinking about the reflections of the floor, but typing about the furniture…

Since I’m here; I can extrapolate on what I meant about your floor: The reflection for the background is fine. I don’t expect to see details that far away, but like with the paintings, the floor directly in front of me should be clear.

The muted colors on the furniture could be caused by a map. It’s hard to say specifically what the cause is, but it could even be the lighting.

I quoted below the image where I think the furniture color screams “this is CGI” the least. Though both chairs seem to have a wax coating…

OK, a couple of texture tweaks, and less aggressive post work. This is 3 pass, regular cycles pass for the image, a yafaray pass fro focused caustics, and a mask pass for compositing. Colour correction done on the composited image at the end, and tweaked the levels rather than fudging it with brightness/contrast tweaks.

Attachments

I like that last one a lot ^^ I think don’t you can improve it much.

Thank you. There has been more effort in post than in render (a couple of tweaks to the render, but very little).

The comments here have forced me to look at post work more, and I am so grateful for the crits. They have forced me to focus.

I can, myself, still see an aspect that needs work (just a correction thing), but until someone else sees it, I’m leaving it alone.

I also like what you’ve done with the place.

Only thing I can really see that isn’t quite right is the reflections for the door: They start at the bottom of the door, but in order to do so, the door would have to made of glass (if the lighting is exterior).

And it doesn’t really “bother” me. It’s not a glaringly obvious flaw. Just a slight violation of logic with which the world is full of…and as I was looking at the ceiling I see a dark patch toward the back that seems off…something is wrong with the shadows, but I’m not a lighting guy.

Example:

Attachments

white wallpaper texture brightness need to be reduced -maximum white (ceiling,wall etc) must be rgb-(0.8,0.8,0.8).and general exposure should be increased.

the one by JV seems perfect, except one thing: the light is coming from two direction: left and right. Make one source. If you don’t understand, look at the rays coming from the windows on the left. Then look at the door on the right.

@outlaw11091. I hadn’t actually noticed the odd alignment of light by the door, and I’m not so sure what’s causing it at the moment. I’ll have to investigate further. Well spotted. See later re the shadows.

@Remade. There is actually no white part of the wallpaper texture. It’s a pale pastel blue and a pale pastel lilac. There is reflectivity, though, which is possibly the cause of the white look.

@usernew. The light is, in fact, coming from two directions. At the far end of the hall to the right (hidden by the wall) is another glass panelled door. The light from that is all indirect, being picked up from the HDRI. The only direct light is the sun from the left. Nevertheless, that is the cause of the apparent odd shadow on the ceiling, too.

On reflection, the light through the (out of sight) door is possibly too strong, and I should perhaps figure out a way to tone it down on that side without compromising the HDR light on the left.

OK, taking on board your comments, this is the latest render. I identified the problematic highlight on the door to the right in the corridor, this being an issue with Archviz booles cutting a hole in the floor and letting light through. A floor under the floor fixed it.

I’m still not sure about the light from the outside door. I do know that the cause is the HDRI and not the sun, but I have no idea why it’s bleeding all the way to the door. I tried wrapping the floor under the floor up and around on the outside, but it makes no difference.

There is another glass panelled door at the end of the corridor, out of sight, and it’s clear that the HDRI lighting outside is causing the darker shadow over the dining table. As far as I’m concerned now, that’s a natural effect of the light.

It’s still a 3 pass render (main, mask and caustics) though in post to get the effect I want, I duplicated and processed each duplicate layer independently, using the mask to block out duplication of objects. It’s entirely lighting and correction in post, no adding or removing of objects.

How am I getting on?

Attachments