Low Poly WIP and a question

I am working on my first low poly character.

The issue I am having is that when I go to select an edge loop it does not select the whole thing. It only goes about half way then stops. If I export the model as a b3d file into the Esenthel engine the places where this issue occurs do not appear. I guessed that I had not built or connected something correctly in the affected area. So I deleted the areas and rebuilt them. It made no difference. I flipped the normals… still no change.

Any advice would be appreciated. I attached the blend file and a screenshot of one of the areas. The others are on the hat mainly above the eyes.

Thank you for all of your help. I have been reading the forums for a while and have learned a lot so far.

Attachments

ST_Wastelander_Male17.blend (177 KB)

Yeah that happens alot with me too :frowning: . I think that blender has some sort of arbitrary unit of roundness used to gauge if something is round enough to qualify for an edge loop, thus you have to move each of your vertices around(which is a pain) until it is round enough, unless you have a better way of doing it, then I’d welcome your suggestion immensely.

the reason the edge loop stops is because it hit a pole (a vert with more or less than 4 edges attached to it). blender doesn’t know which way to go and just stops. you can see in the image you posted it stopped at a vert with 5 edges

Actually there are 4 verts/edges. It did appear to have 5 in the original. I took another screen shot so it is easier to see.
I do apologize for the bad original screenie.

Attachments

your loop hit an E pole, jhultgre is right. There are five edges connected to that vert.

Attachments

Thank you very much. Now I understand.

Sorry about that.

No problem. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you’ve been through this thread already:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93651

But it is a very good read when it comes to understand loops and poles.