Low Polygon Cartoon Hippo?

yeah…
i’m thinking about making a game based off of this drawing i did some time ago:

yeah…
i know, weird, but, i think it would be interesting.
my problem: how do i actually start? i mean, i know to model him, i have to draw a side and front view of him, but i seriously doubt i could do much with it. i mean, i suck at doing that. is it possible to hire someone to do that for you?.. like, draw out a front and side view of him…

i dunno, anyways, anything?

and, also, if i do get the model made, how would i be able to perfectly rig him? cause everytime i try to rig a model, its all messed up…

ok…
i skipped the whole drawings. i just modeled it. looks terrible, i know, but i messed up on the head…

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x166/zymn1/spencer_render.jpg

Is that sub surfed? You can’t haev sub surf. looks good tough.

what do you mean i can’t have it?
why?
its only like 1200 polys.

:open_mouth:

subsurf kills the game engine, and 1200 polys for a low poly hippo is a lot.

oh…
um…
how do i remove subsurf? is it possible?

you can remove subsurf if you haven´t applyed the modifier: press F9 and in the Modifiers panel should appear the Subsurf Modifier Settings window; press the x button located over the “apply” button and you are done.

wow.
uhh…
big bump…
but, i gave up on this a long time ago…
and, i had already applied it.

1200 polys is fine for any sort of modern computers. The people who are saying “ZOMG THT IZ 2 BIG” are people who are running 1.7ghz celeron processors with 256 mb of ram and some 10-year old integrated graphics chip. If you have any sort of computer made in the last 3 years 1200 is fine.

Blender has made some amazing strides in performance, and while 1200 may have been a lot awhile back (honestly I ran 1200 poly characters in the game engine back on my geforce 2 on blender 2.25, so it’s not that big of a deal) it’s not really that bad for current builds. I wouldn’t go any higher though.