LuxCoreRender 2.0

(English is not my native language) #41

Apparently that’s the problem, I had a Warning message in Render Layers tab. I have disabled Tonemapper on camera tab. Now default “1” Gain value of Sky in World Tab seems to be very high for my scene, but solve it by simply choosing a value of for example 0.0005. By the way, after entering 0.0005 in Gain field, the field shows 0.001 value, but when you click on the field, it shows 0.0005 again.
Thanks, I will continue experimenting.

(zeauro) #42

I did not find a way to pause render and then to resume it in BlendLuxCore.
Do you plan to add it in future release ?

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #43

The sun and sky are very bright light sources. Try to find a lamp that creates a noticeable illumination on a road when used in broad daylight - you will find that it needs to be very bright to be visible.
I am aware that problems with light brightness are very common among first-time Lux users because most other engines have artist-friendly, unrealistic brightness presets for sun and sky lights. I’m not sure which way is the best way, but I am just an exporter developer, so I will respect the decision of the core developers here who implemented the light sources with realistic default settings.

This is just Blender behaviour, I can’t do anything about it.

I did not find a way to pause render and then to resume it in BlendLuxCore.
Do you plan to add it in future release ?

Yes, it is supported by LuxCore but not by the addon. We will add it in the future.

(sharlybg) #44

The sun and sky are very bright light sources. Try to find a lamp that creates a noticeable illumination on a road when used in broad daylight - you will find that it needs to be very bright to be visible.
I am aware that problems with light brightness are very common among first-time Lux users because most other engines have artist-friendly, unrealistic brightness presets for sun and sky lights. I’m not sure which way is the best way, but I am just an exporter developer, so I will respect the decision of the core developers here who implemented the light sources with realistic default settings.

Just take some time to think differently when you come from another planet but always lead to more realism !

(Roken) #45

I want this to work, but on Arch Linux, blender 2.79b, even with a very simple scene, I get a silent exit when trying to render :frowning:

(Lsscpp) #46

i must be doing something wrong: when I set halt condition to noise threshold (default 5) render reaches pixel convergence at 100%, but it goes on forever and doesn’t stop

(Lsscpp) #47

Blender rounds the number. Iirc you can set the amount of decimals in the preferences. maybe

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #48

Have a look into the console, usually there are some noisy pixels left.

(Ace Dragon) #49

In general, Luxrender has always been about the accurate simulation of light without the use of shortcuts (when possible).

However, if you can get 95 percent of the look with only a fraction of the work (and in scenes where such bias is nearly unnoticeable), then the Lux team should consider it (especially if they want the engine to see widespread use).

As for the comparison image done yesterday, the major differences in light intensity and the sharpness of the ball reflection suggests some work would be needed to properly translate a scene (taking into account the shading models, tonemapping, the way light intensity is mapped, ect…).

(Charbel Nicolas) #50

The blender implementation is fantastic and it is very very fast!

I do have some questions though… Are there plans to support blender’s autosmooth? Having to do the split edge modifier for all objects isn’t that much work but it would be nice to be able to skip it. And, while being on the material viewport shading style, are there plans to support the display of procedural textures? (the material viewport shading style is kind of quirky under Luxcore at the moment)

And as others have said, if we could have a Principled shader similar to the one in cycles it would be great :slight_smile:

(Dade) #51

You are seeing the problem from a specific point of application. We have users that are doing even “hard-core” simulations, not just artistic renderings (and a lot of people in between).

So our first choose is the most accurate (and reasonable complex) solution. The first natural choose for Lux was volume rendering (I think it has been recently implemented in Cycles under the name of random walk SSS). It was what the majority of our user base expected.

This doesn’t mean we can not have optional features for specific field of application (like 100% artistic renderings) but they are just not our first choose.

At the end of the day, what is the point on having a Cycles duplicate for Blender users ?

(Ace Dragon) #52

Random Walk has two major differences from true volumetric rendering.

One, rays still don’t leave the mesh and illuminate nearby surfaces.
Second, the scattering/scattering color properties can be controlled by textures mapped to the surface of the mesh (as opposed to having the model the insides of your creature models as well as the outside, which can be a lot more work).

I know that you don’t intend to do a Cycles duplicate, but SSS unfortunately seems to be a major sticking point among the notable FOSS engines outside of Cycles and Appleseed (the Yafaray devs. don’t have SSS among their priorities either). In a sense, this would be the only case where Lux would actually have shortcuts and approximations (now I know you have the layer shader, but it’s not always a suitable replacement last I heard).

Look at the community, how many realistic creature rendering on par with what you find on sites like Art Station can you find (hint, you won’t find much).

(burnin) #53

It’s like right click, left click… :spin: ha :eyebrowlift2:

IMO, I also prefer authors choice and respect it. Plus, it’s me who got the gift, thus my turn to show appreciation.
I also don’t think there will be wide spread use anytime soon. For once, everybody already sticks to their apps & assets. Translating whole archives for the sake of what? Doesn’t sound profitable for business. Unless app isn’t @ the EOL… nobody does it.

(Kologe) #54

Seriously, Ace? Hope you’re not really trying to blame whatever percieved lack (?) of artistically controllable SSS-solutions for this. I mean, it’s clearly not like BA was flooded with people desperatley trying to do just that, but failing at delivering the same quality due to rendering-issues.
Seems rather like nobody over here would care much (about creature-work) to begin with. So what? Why should anybody, anyway? It’s not like the creature-work at artstation, cgsociety, what-have-you wasn’t kinda redundant and self-similar…

greetings, Kologe

(Magogg) #55

For me is the same problem…
I will try the version without OPENCL.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #56

Maybe you forgot to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (they are linked on the download page)?
https://luxcorerender.org/download/

The extension “.pyd” is correct, it is a special Python DLL.

By the way BlendLuxCore does not work with buildbot builds because they use a different Python version.
Only official 2.79a and 2.79b are supported.

(Magogg) #57

I tried, I have version 2.79b. Visual C already present … but I could not solve.

(<== Lost? Click Me) #58

2.79a with non OpenCL build worked for me where 2.79b with or without OpenCL would not (Win7 x64 iGPU). Worth a shot.

(Floki) #59

I have a problem here with linux. Syntax error in texture name

Syntax error in texture name: 0.4 0.4 0.4

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #60

Please provide a testscene that shows the error.