LuxCoreRender 2.0

(BigBlend) #101

Nope. I have AMD r9 390x. Even a cube takes a minute in blender.

(Dade) #102

Well, in this case, you may have a problem, can you open the Blender console, do a rendering and post the console output (here or in our forums).

(burnin) #103

On Windows 7 after transformation it turns to white. I think some issues are known.
Check here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues

(NewVisitor) #104

Hi B.Y.O.B.,

apparently the Luxcore UV-Pass and the Blender(Cycles) UV-Pass differ fundamentally.
How can I use it if it does not work with the Map-UV-Node?

The Blend:
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=49350

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #105

apparently the Luxcore UV-Pass and the Blender(Cycles) UV-Pass differ fundamentally.
How can I use it if it does not work with the Map-UV-Node?

To be frank I did not even know that the “Map UV” node existed until you told me.
So far I have only exposed the UV pass in LuxCore to Blender. You are probably the first user who tries to use it in praxis.
It would be great if you could open a dedicated thread for this issue on our forums so we make this feature usable for end-users.

(BigBlend) #106

I seem to miss something in the communication here :smiley:

I assume you are talking about Luxrender because your post history seem to be about luxrender and that you said “our forums”. Are you one of the devs for luxrender?

If it is so as I previous stated that you are talking about Luxrender then there is no slowness. I was saying that Blender Cycles is really slow and that Luxrender is super fast. I was stating why Cycles is 20-30 times slower than Luxrender and why Cycles can’t compile that fast.

If you are talking about Cycles then it’s a known problem that first time cycles is loading the stuff on first rendering is crazy slow on AMD opencl. Here is for the default cube. I’m using a daily build blender-2.79.0-git.d2e1a14-windows64:

Compiling OpenCL program split
Kernel compilation of split finished in 12.31s.

Compiling OpenCL program base
Kernel compilation of base finished in 8.83s.

(NewVisitor) #107

Done

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #108

@BigBlend: Dade is our project coordinator and the LuxCore lead developer.
The misunderstandig happened because we assumed that you mean our Blender addon when you wrote “Blender opencl compilation time is 90 seconds”. Due to the context it was not clear that you were referring to Blender Cycles :wink:

(Martynas Žiemys) #109

I think if you just invert the colors that will work. Well, I suppose it would be nice if it was fixed to work the same way as Cycles does if current users of Lux are not used to it working this way yet.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #110

No, Cycles seems to add 1.0 in the third channel where a UV layout exists (or maybe on another condition, I have to search the Blender documentation for details).
See the issue NewVisitor linked above.

(Martynas Žiemys) #111

Yep, you are right. Adding RGB(0,0,1) with a mix node seems to work. I don’t even know now how I came up with inverting it when I was playing with it in my test scene. :smiley: My head is not working today.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #112

The problem is that the Map UV node seems to use the third channel as a mask for where to apply the mapped image.
When the mask is 0 everywhere, nothing shows up.

(Dade) #113

Yup.

Ahhh, I was thinking to a difference in compilation time between LuxMark and LuxCoreRender.

Cycles still use some huge OpenCL kernel, even after the work of AMD to split the BIG monolithic kernel in smaller parts. LuxCoreRender uses a larger number of smaller kernels than Cycles, this can easily explain the compilation time difference.

(priyankar) #114

Great to see the results . I went through the website also. Can anyone tell how it works on the animated scenes? Any test render will be great.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #115

Release Candidate 1 is out: https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=3317#p3317

You can render animations with it.
Would be great if you could test it and report any bugs, not many users so far have done animations with it.

(English is not my native language) #116

Hi. While Rendered viewport preview is active, if in an object you add a new non existing material (assuming that the object did not previously have a material), that material is not updated in the rendered preview until you move the object or something. I do not know if that should be like that.
Also I do not remember if just “Matte” material existed in presets in previous version? Or always there was only “Matte Translucent”?

In Linux, with OpenCL version.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #117

While Rendered viewport preview is active, if in an object you add a new non existing material (assuming that the object did not previously have a material), that material is not updated in the rendered preview until you move the object or something. I do not know if that should be like that.

This bug is in since I began to write the addon. Unfortunately it is very hard (or impossible) to solve, I did not yet find a solution.

Also I do not remember if just “Matte” material existed in presets in previous version? Or always there was only “Matte Translucent”?

Matte is the default material, that’s why it is not in the presets (if you add a new material or click “use nodes” in an existing material, you get matte).
However I stumbled about this myself a few times :slight_smile: so I will probably add it to the presets.

(English is not my native language) #118

Ok.
Apparently changes in World tab also are not automatically refreshed while rendered preview enabled. But they are minimal things, I really like the preview speed in v2.
Another thing that I have noticed is sudden changes of brightness/lighting depending on the view in viewport when you orbit view if “Auto Brightness” in Tonemapper is enabled. Is it something to be expected?
And I hope you find the way to workaround to minimize Terminator problem:
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=119&hilit=terminator&start=10

Thanks guys, v2 looks really cool!

(oaschwab) #119

Yeah this is a good suggestion. I too found it awkward but understood that the default is Matte. I think for the purpose of continuity it should be included. Plus it makes it easy when just switching back and forth between materials to try something out.

(Remade) #120

just a suggestion,it is better to have “none” as default in world(annoying to change it every time).for light it should be Gain or Lumens -many will miss the idea of setting power and efficacy to zero to get Gain.-if lumens is changed Gain will update and viceversa.(Gain for artistic,lumens for real units)