LuxCoreRender v2.2

Luxcore is doing some absolutely amazing things. In my opinion it’s surpassing cycles in a lot of areas. Can’t wait for it to be ported to 2.8.

2 Likes

Luxcore can now render pathtracing on gpu and lighttracing on cpu so you get hybrid rendering with super fast caustics. There is still SDS path missing. But solution is in the works

3 Likes

Where can i see luxcore roadmap ?

There is a user-managed trello board: https://trello.com/b/SelXNgqf/luxcorerender
(created by @lacilaci86)

For v2.3 there is a thread here where we collect ideas from the users: https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1080
At some point we will probably make a poll about these feature requests, so we can prioritize the most requested, like we did for v2.1/v2.2.

The status of the 2.8 port of our addon can be checked here:

3 Likes

You guys are doing an incredible job, thanks for all the efforts. :smiley:

1 Like

Can you add feature like cycles image rendering system where Luxcore keeps on rendering.

Can you rephrase that? I’m not sure what you mean.

I think he means how you can set the samples to zero and it will just keep rendering until you stop it.

That is the default in LuxCore. Just leave all halt conditions disabled (render properties).

1 Like

In cycles if i render default cube scene it takes 8 sec and render will finish in certain amount of time according to samples set also see render progress bar in fills in cycles.but in luxcore the same scene keeps rendering and progress bar stays zero.

In render settings there is a “halt condition” tab check it out.

2 Likes

Thankyou it’s working.

I am uploading a HDRI image in the ‘world’ tab but nothing appears to be happen. Is there a need for activating some other thing in some other tab somewhere in Blender?

Also: how do we regulate the light intensity in HDRIs’ in Luxcore? I am not finding something related in the ‘world’ tab.

And furthermore: I do see all those so fast rendered caustics scenes here in the thread… I do not find the way to achieve such things in the renderer (and in such short rendering times). Why not making a very simple video tutorial showing the way of achieving such results? It would be very helpful to many people.

Luxcore is a great renderer but it needs much more easy to follow video tutorials. It is very important to have such tutorials in making much more people want to use it.

1 Like

No, but maybe you have other very bright light sources in the scene (e.g. a sun) and the tonemapper is adapting to those? The HDRI light intensity can be controlled by the “gain” property in the world tab. Try to use a higher gain (e.g. 100,000).
Maybe our FAQ could help in this case: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLuxCore_FAQ#Why_is_my_HDRI_environment_black_and_not_showing_up.3F

About tutorials: It would be great to have more, but we need volunteers to make them.
Maybe these resources help you:

The enhanced caustic rendering techniques shown here are very new (introduced about one week ago) and not yet part of any official release (not even a beta), only available through daily builds. They need to be tested and refined more before it makes sense to create tutorials about them (for example, the UI has changed in the last days).

Thank you for your feedback, I hope I could help.

I did try to see what happens when all the other light sources in the scene are deactivated but it was in vain, the resulting render was totally black. I will try, however, to experiment again with the HDRI files. Thank you very much for the answer. Will give you feedback after making more tries.

You could also upload the .blend file with packed textures and I take a look (a stripped down version that still shows the problem is enough).

Short status update on the 2.8 port:

What works

• Viewport render
  • Node editor/materials
  • Michael has ported most of the UI panels
  • Lights/World
  • Objects (including particles and all other kinds of instances)

Todo

• Final render
  • View layers
  • Motion Blur
  • Hair
  • Material preview
  • … and a lot of polishing and probably tons of minor bugs that will pop up

For more details, see https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/166
Thanks to all the donors for their support! I appreciate it a lot.

23 Likes

At last I did find what was happening with the HDRI issue: In Luxcore HDRI files have to be uploaded with a Hemi light and its settings have to be regulated from the tab of this light source kind. But I still am wondering if it is so why there is a HDRI upload option in the ‘world’ tab options too.

Anyway, HDRIs are working. Now I did meet a problem with the glass material. In some scenes is not appearing at all. I will look at it again and will see.

It doesn’t matter if you use the world or a hemi light to set a HDRI.
Without a scene or some error messages I can’t guess what could be wrong in your specific case.

If you upload a .blend file, I can take a look.

Here is a very simple scene: the smaller cube on the ground has glass material on it. It is not rendering. There only appears some strange shape on the ground suggesting its base.

Luxcore_glass problem.blend (959.7 KB)