Luxrender Deep Sea

Hi everyone ! me again with a new project. this time just want to cover a submarin environment. rendered on GPU.

Render ENGINE : Luxcore 1.7
Render Device : R9 390 + HD 7970
Render Time : 45 mn

The crystals could use some hardening of their forms (as there’s not enough contrast within them right now and the solid red glow makes them appear somewhat like plastic).

We don’t see too much in the way of Luxrender work nowadays, use of that engine has decreased as Cycles got better and the development has really slowed down in the past 6 months or so (partially being the effect of Jeanphi’s departure).

about the crystal you’re totally right.But it just a 6hr project i didn’t have enought time. so i let it at a correct level.

We don’t see too much in the way of Luxrender work nowadays, use of that engine has decreased as Cycles got better and the development has really slowed down in the past 6 months or so (partially being the effect of Jeanphi’s departure)

Can’t tell too much now, But this are going to change a lot . You will see some very good news from “Lux” soon. :rolleyes:

I know you said you were finished with this but I thought I’d chime in with what changes I’d make. Maybe they’ll give food for thought in your next project.

The red crystals in the bottom left corner are distracting and pull the viewer’s eye down there for no reason (too prominent).

I like the yellow material used in the hero crystal cluster. I’d be tempted to use that one yellow material in all the hero crystal cluster and then add a strong yellow glow emanating from the hero cluster.

Make the other two diminished crystal clusters (middle left and top right of image) all darkish red to let the hero crystals pop out.

I’d then move the submarine lights further into the centre and angled more like they are looking almost directly at the viewer.

All these changes I think add to the potential back story of the image. “Sub finally finds rare golden crystals” is more exciting than “sub happens upon field of multi-coloured crystals”.

Good luck on the next project!

Just wondering.

Did you take control of the project (including the website)?

I checked the forum there and the activity is just about dead (the last several months saw very few posts). One thread even hints at the site itself dying, I hope you have some big surprises in store to bring back both regular development and the community.

the coral looks not very real…

All these changes I think add to the potential back story of the image. “Sub finally finds rare golden crystals” is more exciting than “sub happens upon field of multi-coloured crystals”.

the coral looks not very real…

will maybe find time to put hand on it ! i’ve also some nice idea in mind. thanks for your good advice.

I checked the forum there and the activity is just about dead (the last several months saw very few posts). One thread even hints at the site itself dying, I hope you have some big surprises in store to bring back both regular development and the community.

I’m not joking ! i’vn’t also the right to tell more.But can said when you will see what you will see about “Lux” we will be glad to see support from you. I think opensource CGI artists community need more quality alternativ tools than what we currently have. cycles is almost the only one arround and this isn’t an healthy situation.

Well, I did use Luxrender for a few images before (back when it was the only good solution for renders using GI). That all changed when Cycles came on board though.

I hope when the engine returns, it will have some long awaited features like SSS (not Lux’s current approach which is physical, but more difficult to use). I also do not know right now, but I also hope it allows the use of vertex color channels as masks for materials/material properties as well (including the creation of them from the R, G, and B channels).