LW>>B: the old "move the mesh thru the bones trick", Blender style? / deformations

In Lightwave various deformation animations were most easily accomplished via morphing the mesh thru space while the bones stayed put. Off the top of my head are “squeezing thru a keyhole” and “unrolling a ‘carpet’” type animations.

Is this a logical approach to similar tasks in Blender, or are there better, simpler ways to approach it?

Tnx.

Wasn’t that just another workaround for LW’s limited toolset? I think you can use the curve modifier for most of the morph bone tasks.

Right now I’m wanting to get a bone chain to roll up (in B), and it won’t obey it’s own UI by respecting individual origins.

So, “limited toolset” seems a bit pejorative, even if true.

Morphed bones in LW only makes bones affect the object after morphing instead of default before. That’s why it was used to make extrusions along bone chains as LW didn’t have any spline tools or extrude tools. In blender you can use the curve tool or the curve modifier to extrude along a path. To roll an object or unroll with bones there is no need for morphed bones. Just go to pose mode select all bones and choose induvidual origins and hit r and rotate to get a rollup effect. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks, Ztreem. You’ve given me some good Search terms to, errrr, search. :slight_smile:

One question: when you say " the curve tool or the curve modifier", are you referring to 2 different things, or just rephrasing?

Sorry, with curve tool I ment curve object.
If you could be more specific of what you want to achieve it will be easier to help.

I’m not attempting anything specific, just trying to get my mind around different workflows.

Decaling (as a Material, not a shrinkwrap) is currently kicking my *ss. Unlearning LW methodologies is the biggest challenge, although I see many folk also struggle w/it, so I’m not uniquely dense.

Then it’s hard to give any specific solutions as there are many ways to do extrudes or unrolls.

As for decals, what’s the problem? Isn’t it very much the same as in LW?