M$ *ordered to* cough up $521 million

it seems really hopeless, timothy is right … :slight_smile:

you cant talk about “one linux” that boots fast or not …
it depends so much on what tools, what windowmaker, what sort of desktop you use …
… and how new your win installation is :> - windows grows slower every day …

but generally blender runs much faster unter X than under win 98, at least on my computer …
and lrendering with the raytracer lightflow is double as fast under a debian system, says the developper … :slight_smile:

It’s all the extra application that sucks up hard drive space, such video, sounds, games, windows X, office application, termernals, etc. etc. MS Windows can include all these in one CD and 10 MB of hard disk space. I wonder how Linux uses the lower and upper memory on the hard drive.

You mean the GUI takes longer, right?

Martin[/quote]

Oh, yea, maybe there should be just a GUI version of Linux, like Windows 9X.[/quote]

Maybe I should fill you in…

There ARE GUIs for linux. There are even GUIs for Linux that makes it look like Windows. Jeez, i don’t even have linux and i know that %|

especially the x-box. The x-box isn’t all that bad, and it’s got some good features. I wish people would stop being unnessisarily predjudice against microsoft without good reason.

Er, i have to agree with Enos Shenk, controller sucks, and the only good game is Halo.

You can’t blame them for having a better product. That’d be like blaming some company that makes a really good candy bar for the reason that others taste like crap.

Why would you NEED windows XP for a school? We just have 98 on the computers and it works fine. Just get that.

So what? Look at all those “copies” of cereal. They’re pretty much teh same, and cheaper. There’s nothing wrong with a copy, and MSN has some features that are a lot better than ICQ.

I really don’t think 1 second more of loading time counts…

Sorry, but your points are stupid. Microsoft’s just another company that makes software. Just because Bill Gates makes like 4.7 million an hour doesn’t mean that their stuff is bad.

Pooba

[/quote]

ok talking about microsoft ripping off things ever noticed how there xbox pad is very similar to the dreamcast one? no wait didnt sega have a say in that! the fact is even blender has “borowed” ideas its called insperation.

i use windows xp cos its HASSLE FREE linux is way to much effort but amazing considering its free.

bill gates did a lot for computers he helped write dos i think which lets face it brought computers to the home it unified technologies.

JEEEEEEZZZZZ the point of this thread was NOT to launch into a linux vs windows debate. we all know those go nowhere.%|

Well that is true, but on this kinda forum anything about windows will burn into a linux vs windows debate. But regardless take anything i have said, or will say in an unserious way.
:smiley:

hmmm in fact dos is effectively a huge mass of code that microsoft stole from IBM and bill gates did very little work on it.
%|
8)

i thought dos was created before microsoft even existed! i dont know my geek history to well so i’ll shut up.

anyway … what was the topic again?

I thinks what I’m trying to say is that the GUI should be built into Linux instead of having the GUI run on top of Linux, like how windows 3.1 ran on top of DOS and Windows is a GUI OS that can eluminate DOS.

i thought dos was created before microsoft even existed! i dont know my geek history to well so i’ll shut up.

anyway … what was the topic again?

Dos came from CP/M Centrial Processes Micro computers or something like, I believe IBM incorperate it into a DOS and renamed it DOS or was it bill gates ? Also Windows NT came from PS/2 OS that bill gates and IBM worked on together, later bill gates release it as NT and then came 95, 98, 2000, ME and XP which came from the NT OS.

What does NT stand for? Not Terrific? :-?

And didn’t MS buy DOS, i don’t think they could “steal” it.

Pooba

http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/Cpm/

Can’t recall.

I don’t think you understand how OS works.

Martin

OK, how do they work ?

yeah pooba, your school has probably make-fire-without-firestone-classes.
you have to know, that my school has to make me ready for the life afterwards - we have even cg-classes. and my future lies deffinetively not in win 95 at 233 mhz …

you probably dont know any other browser, when you say, ie is the best lol
just because it is the most popular, it is not the best, maybe you should try one one with some innovative features or you are a “simple” surfer :slight_smile:

tell my a feature, that msn has and icq not …
i am going to tell u one icq has and msn not - and at least for the ppl in education i know, is it the most usefull: icq 2 go :stuck_out_tongue:

Internet Exployer is a major virus Freenet warn people who try searching the gateway with IE, they suggest either Netscape, Mozillia or K-melon.

With Linux-BIOS you can get to single user mode in about three seconds. That’s also after they added in a timeout in order to let the hard-drives spin up from power-on.

Mention more about this Linux Bios, where can I find it ?