M134

First time ever finishing a model. But as i look through this site, it seems like my gun is missing something important. I would appreciate if you guys would critique the render. I realize my lighting is pretty dull but I was going for more of the modeling practice on this. Fire away (no pun intended)

Attachments

what miss from your model (except texture) i think is the detail, i think the barrel should be extruded inward little bit to add more thickness and in place where barrels join to the machine (i don’t know what its called) and cylinders (i also don’t know what its called) seem to simple.

btw nice start!

It looks like you don’t have shadows rendered in that image. Turn those on in the scene panel and maybe turn on ambient occlusion in the World tab, and it’d look a lot better. It’s a great model, though!

Thanks Alexander! The ambient occlusion helped a ton. It now takes 15 times longer to render but the colors look a lot softer. Its worth it. Do you know exactly what the occlusion did though? And to the guy before, i see what you mean by extruding the barrels inward, it will just take time to do that to 6 barrels though, so that comes later.

Here’s version 2 with the added shadows and occlusions.

And heres also the reference photo i used.

Attachments

bump

Anyone have any ideas for either added realism on the gun or how to fix the sort of bland environment?

thats good, but ugh that sux because i’m makin 1 too. now i’ll just seem like a copy cat

Hi D

Ambient occlusion stops the light getting right into the corners of objects. In the 3d world, ambient light (which is a sort of global light that you set in the world controls) lights up the whole world uniformly. In the real world this doesn’t happen. In the real world light bounces around flat surfaces but often doesn’t get into the corners of objects. Ambiet occlusion simulates this effect. You can get a similar, in fact more accurate, effect by using radiosity rendering. but that takes a lot longer to do. Ambient occlusion is a nice bodge!

As for your scene.
I would light the gun with multiple lamps.

It looks like you are using a sun type lamp. I would switch this to a spotlight so you can aim it directly at the gun. this will darken the background and bring the gun into more prominence.

Put a subtle reflection map on the material. You’ll be amazed how much this can add to an object.

Oh and repeat/tile the floor texture. That woodgrain is way too big.

You know you can use F3 to save your render. That way you don’t have to do a screenshot.

Well I tried to do everything tmc said but I couldnt quite figure out what a reflection map was or how to put it in? I looked all over the interweb and no one really explains what a reflection map is?

I did tile the textures though, and I beveled the edges on some of the boxy looking things.

Attachments

reflection map. Easy.

Its just like putting on any texture map except, in the ‘map input’ panel, instead of choosing ‘UV’ or orcco, choose ‘refl’. Then in ‘map to’ choose ‘col’ So, this will use reflection co ordinates to map that image to the colour of the object. This makes it look as if the object is reflecting the image. So…

Its important what image you use. Commonly people use a desert landscape or cloudscape as that gives a sort of classic look. Go to 2texture.com and search for reflection maps

Now that probably made no sense but give it a go and you’ll see what I mean.

Ps altering the colour value in the ‘map to’ panel alters the intensity of the reflection.

I think you should turn on Autosmooth for the perpendicular cylinders.

@ tcm, I still dont understand how a “desert scene” would look good on a massive gattling gun? Why use that for the texture?

You dont have to use that, but the reason people use it is because it has a horizon and a gradient above and beneath and if you were drawing a reflection by hand, thats what you draw. In other words its just an old artistic technique.

As an alternative you might want to use an image that looks like the inside of the room your gun is in. But you should look at the desert first. I’ll attach an example for you to see.

The first image is the reflection map I used.

The second is the face rendered without any reflection. It looks ok, but it lacks a bit of detail and realism.

The third image (ignore the book in the background) is rendered with the reflection map. You can’t see a desert in his face. But the reflection adds contour and depth to the material.

Its up to you what you do, its your artwork. I’m just letting you know what the standard techniques are.:smiley:

Attachments

Oh yeah look at the bottle and the ink bottle on the table. They both use desert reflection maps

i tried using the exact desert scene you put up, but i tried it and it textured the gun w/ that purplish hue of the picture. I have Refl on in the “Map Input” and Col on in the “Map To tab.” My question is how do you tell it to apply the picture as a reflection map instead of as a normal texture?

Looking at the picture probably explains my problem better: the reflection map was tested out on the cylinders perpendicular to the barrels.

Attachments

Thats what the map input does. It looks to me like you’ve done it to the wrong material. The reflection is on the lighter material that connects the barrels. You can’t really see it though because you havent smoothed the objects.

which material were you thinking the reflection map should be applied to? because i really do want to understand this.

you probably want to add some specularity as well. (in the shader panel)

“which material were you thinking the reflection map should be applied to? because i really do want to understand this”

Actually all of them. But subtle. Low “col” value in the “map to” panel

Look on the reference image you supplied. On the barrel there is a black line running down its length and its light on the top of the barrel and lightish on the underside of the barrel. That is the reflection map. The black line is the horizon and the light bits are the sky and ground.