(pasted from Polycount)
I’ve been messing about in Blender, off and on, for the last year and finally decided it was time to take a relatively complex asset through the full pipe without resorting back to Max. The last personal weapon I modeled(tactical shotgun) I used to get the basics of Blender 2.80, but I ended up getting frustrated and went back to my comfort zone in 3ds Max. This time around I had more experience in Blender so it’s 100% done there: modeling/unwrapping/baking/final renders - texturing done in Substance Painter. Target was around 100K on-card verts or triangles. I wanted close up folio shots so I went 4K maps with around 7 texture sheets.
I’ll post a breakdown and more renders over the next few days as I haven’t done one for a while and I’d like to share my thoughts on the process in Blender, particularly, as I baked the bevel shader with no high polys involved at all. I still have some tweaks to do on the texturing(don’t we always ), but I also set a 3 week time limit so I still have a few days left for final tweaks.
More renders to follow.