Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Hey everyone, I am one of those Apple users, who is still rocking an iMac 2017 base confic (i5-7500 + R570) and Macbook Pro 2015 (i7-4870HQ + R370), both working fine for my daily tasks. However, a year ago I’ve discovered Blender, and after Apple had already killed CUDA, OpenCL/GL, 32bit while still ignoring Vulan and the BF, I have considered to ditch the platform entirely as people said “Mac is dead for 3D users”. However, the similar XPS 9500 suffers from mediocre QC and fans/heat, while desktop GPUs became really expensive. And Win10 still kinda annoys me. In the recent weeks I’ve been reading more and more about the sensational M1 performance-per-Watt magic and that great Macbooks with useful keyboards and ports are about to return soon.

So… what would you recommend me? Shall I remain patient a bit and wait? I understood correctly, that albeit the lack of full native support incl. Metal, overall performance on the M1 machinses seems to be more than decent already, right? So native support + M1X/M2 will make things even (much) better?

I am not using Cycles, only Eevee (love it). I prefer keeping it activated all the time in my viewport and on my 150k polycount character (50k with all subdiv mods disabled) performance so far is solid, but the MBP gets noisy quickly and my future scenes will become more complex for sure. I’d like to stay on MacOS as its still a great system for daily work, Photoshop and Music/DJing and not having to buy an extra Win10 device just for Blender. This thread keeps me optimistic… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes