Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

It’s not the laptop but the Mini and it’s the 16GB model. But yeah, still it’s pretty sweet.

I would wait at this point for the new models laptops or Mini.

1 Like

Yeah, I should. Thing is, I’m chomping at the bit to upgrade, and yesterday’s lack of hardware updates at WWDC hasn’t made things any easier for me. We all know the better machines are coming, but when?

On top of that, we’ve got Windows supposedly seeing a massive, much needed update here in the not too distant future, which now has me hanging on it as a potential decision maker.

…being a computer nerd shouldn’t be this difficult!

2 Likes

Considering the last decade experience from a “Pro” user
and missing hardware support from Apple during most of
that time. Devastating even bought a M1 Mini to have
anything Update from Trash Can,
I get a little bit nervous that, still from here, it may again need
at least another wasted year before we get some serious
hardware.
Since 2012, I still had always interims machines from Apple
that I never really wanted until now.
If they really, as rumors say, need the whole 3rd quarter to
announce any MacBook Pros and a larger iMac will need
at least until the end of the year …
I would be at least a bit pissed.

I meant whole Apple has a great pr department the stories about the Apple soc are pretty sound

1 Like

Ah, yes very true. I remember you saying you got a Mini to test drive. How are you liking it?

I like it a lot. But one has to be aware of that I can only compare it to a macPro 2012 with 12 core 3 GHz Xeon chips and two GTX 1070Ti - the other mac has an AMD RX 5600 XT.

Sofar what I like about the Mac mini is simply the operational speed, responsiveness, and plain noise free working.

As long as the app is supported for the M1 all is fine.

I bought some Wave audio VSTs (they were on sale) but they are not yet ready for M1 so they dont work.

Agisoft Metashape does not work with openCL on the M1 and thus cannot make use of the GPU.

Video and image editing is a blast on that Mac mini.

Blender actually performs really well.
It has some odd openGL issues when using the viewport clipping.
But otherwise it is fine. EeVee shader compilation is actually faster on the M1.
Pure CPU rendering on the macMini is also faster than on the macPros which is impressive.
Well the CPU is also 10 years old now. But still it is a 12 core 3 GHz Xeon system.

So I have to say for 699 the Mac mini is not a toy computer.

That’s why I said while Apple has a fantastic PR department I think the switch to their own silicon will work out well and soon we wont really miss intel chips at all.

Only GPU is truly they only sole concern for me and how they will deal with the fact that dedicated GPUs logically outperform the M1 mac GPU hands down.

If the Apple ARM macPro gets extension GPU cards then some of the data access speed is being lost because of the PCI port connection. But maybe that will also be fine.

1 Like

Great insight!
I feel the same way with mine.
The view port clipping issues have been an annoyance, but nothing more than that.

Perhaps it would be less difficult if these companies would not let the rumor mill spiral out of control (because they like the way it generates hype). A lot of the hype stories for most vendors tend to come from anonymous sources or from sketchy Chinese websites (which even some reputable hardware journalists choose not to vet because it generates clicks).

So far, the company that seems to quash rumors more than anyone else (so people won’t get emotionally burned) is AMD, simply because of their recent move to tell people to not believe the stories of their upcoming XT chips being a serious performance boost over the regular 5xxx chips.

1 Like

Device rumors are fun, nothing more. I wouldn’t let it get you too down.
Well maybe not if you’re an investor, but the smart ones don’t invest off rumors. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah this rumor and secret leaks and all the noise around it amplified by YouTube nerds is really annoying

I unsubscribed feel people because it turned into a sad silly self promotion show

Worst then guy started to copy each other in their shows.

Really looking forward to the high core count iGPU that may be coming in the new MacBook Pro.
Only rumored calculations but if the 32 core SOC iGPU is projected to perform like a 3070/3080 paired with SOC 64GB RAM then the rendering GPU world is in for a (possible) shake up.

“How much RAM does your GPU have?”

“64GB”

“What? How?”

“It’s an iGPU”

“Oh, it can’t be very fast then, right”

“It performs like a 3080 but with 64GB”

:flushed:

3 Likes

It’s shared memory, so minus space reserved for OS, minus space for Blender and minus whatever other apps also running and minus the space for loaded .blend files, so the more complicated your model, the less ram for iGPU?

But yes, if development of SOC goes as promised and not coupled to remaining just ahead enough to stay competitive, kudos to Apple! As a staunch Linux/open source advocate, I will be very sad if my OS of choice is gimped on Apple silicon, as otherwise the hardware will surely end up in my cart.

1 Like

Agreed, I hope, if they can even, that Apple doesn’t try to stay just at the crest of performance.

I haven’t used Linux but from listening to Linux on M1 chats the Linux community has a working Alpha and making good progress on having a fully functioning M series Mac running a fully functional Linux build.

From what I remember of past Linux users, a lot of them love working on Mac hardware with a Linux OS.

They have managed to get Linux running, but reverse engineering drivers for dedicated video/network/memory management and all other hardware acceleration modules included on the SOC will be very difficult without a lot of help from Apple, which the Linux kernel needs to run apps at speeds matching MacOS. The Nouveau drivers for Nvidia hardware is case in point…

Reading developments with a veritable Gordian knot of phalanges…

1 Like

hes using the mac mini , not the laptop. still impressive , ipc is just as high as or slightly better than ryzen5000 cpus and just a tad slower than the newest intel11 series.

1 Like

thats a little optimistic , not ? 32 core refers to cpu cores imo… shader units in gpus are not counted in cores , the more cpu cores you add to an soc the less place is for other stuff.

the only thing they could get away with is when the chip only supports “opengl es” feature set and not the full programmable shaders you find in graphics cards and save on silicon a bit there…

i still remember these overpowered rumors from the time i was into into console gaming , every time a new playstation or zxbox is rumored , fans go nuts and claim the next one will be a supercomputer

Well, no powerful 30 inch Apple Silicon iMac has been introduced during WWDC. It seems that I’m stuck with a Windows PC for probably at least another half a year. :neutral_face:

1 Like

So that you have a comparison.

1. M1 - Blender scene. Render time about 3 minutes for one image. With the M1 version of Blender.

2. Intel i7 with RTX 2080. Render time approx. 45 seconds.

:slight_smile:

we wait …

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, until more powerful iMacs arrive I can live with an NVIDIA GPU for rendering. :wink:

some more news about the photogrammetry…

https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/09/hands-on-macos-12-brings-new-object-capture-api-for-creating-3d-models-using-iphone-camera/

I think that will be good