Mac: M1 and Blender

PC shit + Nvidia multi-GPU

The render times between different engines do change depending on the scene. Here is a good video that talks about it all. With the simpler scenes he did see a speed up with e cycles. With the more complex scenes e cycles was slower than cycles x by a little but faster than regular cycles. If you use linux the render speeds are also supposed to be faster than windows. It’s a shame he didn’t test k cycles.

Unfortunately all these tests suck because they can’t speed up my renders nor get rid of rendering errors in E-Cycles. I think we should stop this off topic bullshit.

3 Likes

Why do you guys prefer getting apps through the App Store? I find the App Store interface and download speeds terrible, and they strongly oppose open source apps.

I can use homebrew for installing and updating apps, and with homebrew I have a much larger selection of open source apps and formula.

Unfortunately all these tests suck because they can’t speed up my renders nor get rid of rendering errors in E-Cycles

Unfortunately that doesn’t seem like an issue with E-Cycles. Every test shows an improvement over the stock cycles, if you have an issue or regression from cycles, I’m sure the dev would be happy to take care of it.

I’m good either way with my Mac. As for download speeds from the App Store mine have always been literally fast, but it may be a region or country thing (I’m in the USA with Fiber). Also don’t confuse the “installing” process that is tied with the download indicator when downloading an App from the App Store; meaning, download, uncompress, and install are one process.

Side quibble, me worrying about the differences in download speeds of apps I’ll use for thousands of hours is similar to me worrying about a slower machines 5 minute render differences for a project I just spent 3 weeks working on. lol

I find the App Store interface great and download speed incredibly fast. If you have an issue with download speed I’m sure your internet provider would be happy to take care of it.

1 Like

Now this is interesting and encouraging

One thing I hear is Mac laptops are not repairable because they have to be to be so thin. The chips are soldered on the new M1 air because it has to be thin. It’s a trade off the engineers have to make. Here is a laptop that completely blows that theory out of the water. I bet it could be done with phones as well and only add like 1mm. Which I would actually like better because my phone is so thin I put a case on it to make it comfortable to hold.

There will be no drivers for it, so it’s a bit pointless. On the other hand my HP laptop is working 100% on Linux Mint which is pretty awesome. If you got all the drivers and most of them open source, which at least partial manufacturer support, it’s a lot better machine than Windows 10 (outside of legacy and application support, ease of deploying binaries).

No, things like RAM aren’t soldered onto the board, they are integrated into the CPU and are part of the SOC. This is actually an advantage and is a big reason for the M1’s insane efficiency. Adding upgradable inserts is a giant leap backwards for performance as Apple is literally proving with the SOC design.

I knew the push back from the DIY content creators was coming, and I feel for the ones that make their money off explaining the multitude of upgrades and all drivers needed for PC systems, on their Youtube channel; some are really informative (Gamer Nexus), but man-o-man I cannot wait for the devices (iPad like) that you plop down on your desk anywhere and it syncs with a nearby monitor, able to handle whatever you throw at it silently and cool.
We are getting really close with the Apple M series laptops and the industry knows it, hence EVVVVVRYONE making a push for ARM based SOCs for their own products.
I giggle seeing the push for “right to to repair” seemingly quadruple, and getting mentioned constantly by these CCs since the release of the M1 SO. :slight_smile:

These things combined with (better/future) cloud computing may be the end of the outdated old guard desktop computer era. YEAH!!!

3 Likes

Just to clarify, right to repair extends to 3rd parties. The point being that if anything is wrong with your machine your only recourse is Apple is absurd and shouldn’t be the case.

The unfortunate downside with everything integrated (and this is not only true for Apple as other manufacturers of thinbooks all use same soldered-on components) is the relatively fast obsoletion of computers which then become fodder for landfills. The current trends are not ecologically sound, there has to be a better way.

1 Like

This isn’t M1 related, but possibly of interest to the Apple user community. It appears Intel isn’t quite dead as far as Apple is concerned (which IMHO implies that they can’t quite get ARM to compete with higher end workstation processing quite yet):

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is just Apple following through with their promise of “we’ll continue to release Intel based Macs for years to come” that Tim Cook said at WWDC two years ago when announcing the M1.

1 Like

I realize :grin: it’s just some of these bigger CCs have a side shop that does PC builds and repairs.

Hopefully better/faster/easier cloud computing will put an end to throwing out devices so quickly. :grin:

Sure, but this also tells me that an ARM substitute for the Mac Pro isn’t even close to being ready yet. If it was, they would just delay the update announcement for another 6 months or so and release it mid-2022. This makes me think that a true ARM Mac Pro might not come to be for at least another year or more.

2 Likes

I think you’re right on the timeline. I’m not expecting the MacPro until late next year.

1 Like

Unless…they’re possibly thinking that the Mac Pro in its current incarnation, dies with this last update, and then the ARM “pro” machine is some sort of smaller form computer closer in size to a Mac Mini.

1 Like

M1 " The high-performance cores have an unusually large,[8] 192 KB of L1 instruction cache and 128 KB of L1 data cache and share a 12 MB L2 cache; the energy-efficient cores however, only have a 128 KB L1 instruction cache, 64 KB L1 data cache, and a shared 4 MB L2 cache."
“The M1 uses 4266 MT/s LPDDR4X SDRAM[11] in a unified memory configuration”
so
high-performance cores
L1 192K+128K / 4 = 80K per core
L2 12MB / ? shared

energy efficient cores
L1 128K+64K / 4 = 48K per core
L2 4MB / ? shared

5900x
Cache L1: 64K (per core) x 12 = 768K
Cache L2: 512K (per core) x 12 = 6,144K
Cache L3: 64MB

Good on Apple for putting a lot of L2 cache and making the unified RAM 4266. They need it though as they have no L3 cache. If they did have L3 cache they would not need the RAM right next to the CPU to get good speeds. Though they probably could use the Unified Memory Architecture as L3 cache and have even more ram anywhere on the board if they wanted. I doubt they will do this because Apple is not well know for making upgradable devices.

I’m also wondering if having ram almost as hot as the cpu is a good thing. The L1,2,3 has to be and is special made to do so, but it looks like the m1 ram is regular DDR 4 RAM. I’m thinking if the temp gets too hot your system will brick or will brick after about 5 years because it doesn’t like temperatures that high for that long.

Has anyone tried to install Renderman 24.1 on an M1 machine ?

I can’t seem to get the Blender addon to work :frowning:

I’ve been wondering about Mac or PC lately given that M1 is quite capable and the GPU prices are quite incapable. One might start to think it is wiser to invest in a Mac now instead of building your own, especially with news of Metal development and also Valve pushing Vulkan. I’m still using a 2012 iMac and starting to think about upgrading. I am 50/50 on which way I am going still. I know I’ll always prefer MacOS.

2 Likes