Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

TBF there’s been plenty of anger and hate over the years at MS/dX too.

true - I was more responding towards the apple being anti open source bashing here.

it’s just a matter of opportunity and interest.
I don’t think Apple is not interested in 3D,
3D will be more and more pervasive in the future, this is quite predictable…
let’s say Apple is not interested in a 3D standard shared with others. (at least in this historical moment)

1 Like

it’s interesting how the roles have reversed, Microsoft is now collaborating with opensource projects to bring directx more and more open…

2 Likes

Maybe at one point Microsoft Windows will just get a Desktop Environment on Linux :slight_smile:

Similar for Apple, going for Services.
Apple could offer Metal to Linux.
(Not sure if that would be a good idea for Linux in any way)
If someone calculates that spreading Metal standard would help more
than Hackintoshes or Linux PCs may be bad for Mac Sales.

Except for the fact that third-party vendors (like Nvidia and AMD) are not even allowed to provide drivers for their own hardware whenever they are used in a MacOS rig. I do not recall a time when Microsoft told the various hardware vendors that they will take over on driver development.

Not only that, but despite Apple mentioning FOSS in their announcements, there’s still reason to believe that FOSS is in danger of being banned on MacOS altogether, as Apple is in the process of burying the option that allows users to download software that did not go through Apple’s review process. The proprietary silicon is another indication of MacOS slowly becoming like iOS, where you can’t even download anything not found in the app. store.

1 Like

I agree completely.

iOS-ification could happen and this is what I expected for the future.

But in that case there would not have a been a need to explicitly
promise that Macs are different and you will allways be able to
install any Software from the internet on Macs.

On the contrary the purpose of WSL is to make windows competitive with linux to minimize risk to windows. Basically a “hey, why run linux when you can run a compatibility layer and all your linux software on windows!”. This is basically the wine equivalent for windows.

Yeah why Apple did decide to make it themselves who knows but AMD drivers for windows are known for having serious issues here and there. I hardly see that with macOS.

Think about that here for a moment.

Also regarding Apples security approach look try to find the security issues Android and Androids app store has.

Yes you cannot side load an app - big deal. Just get it from the iOS app store.

Apple will not force all developers only use the macOS app-store but they have gate keep to try to secure the OS increasingly.

Thats again rather in todays time with hacking and bots rather a good than bad thing.

I also think, that soon Windows will become a desktop enviorment over Linux, for the simple reason that the role of the operating system, and the opportunities to profit on it will become less and less relevant, they will optimize their energies in other much more strategic related and profitable resources.
I believe that Microsoft has learned a great lesson about its past, and that it has decided to gradually become from an enemy of open source, to the most important company (in the future) in favor of open source … they have learned from competition like Google and similar examples.
Microsoft has understood that one of the most important things is maintaining a good reputation in this ages where impressions and opinions fly and spread quickly.

Both.

On one hand, today they let you run Windows without a serial,
have a sympathetic CEO and “support” OSS.

On the other hand still charge lunatic prices for Windows.
Or there is still so much old school Gates/Ballmer staff in there
that tells you to not use dangerous free Linux but Linux on MS
under anti malware umbrella.

As for Apple iOS, I also never understood why friends wanted to
jail brake their iPhones and I never felt very fenced in Apple’s
semi-walled OS X garden in the past. I never missed anything
from 2006-2012.
From 2012-2020 I missed mainly hardware.
Today I still profit more by a bit more of privacy, security, usability
and efficiency over less restricting operating systems.

That’s very true. Yes you cannot customize iOS as much as Android. But isn’t that more cosmetic?
iOS has no issue of Apps to offer.

I fully agree with hardware specifically more with NVIDIA GPUs.
For me this will be the biggest concern for Apple with the SoC to catch up to.

I think non-mac users are rather concerned in theory than mac users in practical reality.

That AMD is seemingly unable to provide rock solid drivers for their GPU’s is their problem. I do not think Microsoft is purposely trying to have Windows screw with the code on purpose as ‘punishment’ for supporting non Microsoft API’s (as such a reality would already be all over the internet if true).

Besides that, Apple’s computing solutions getting more and more locked down has been the prevailing trend as more and more of the underlying tech. moves to in-house designs. Apple might promise users they can use non-Apple approved apps, but such promises will oftentimes last maybe a year at most before changes are made (as we have seen with Autodesk promising more development resources for XSI, or with Adobe promising continued perpetual licensing for the Substance programs).

I for example was Apple user for decade. Because I am 3d artists and how all this evolved with Apple and important 3D techs (CUDA, OpenGL, OpenCL, drivers … ) I had to invest into Windows/Linux workstation, just to be in line with rest of industry (GPU renders etc). In period of less than 2 years I left Apple ecosystem entirely. So for me was really practical… What I like with M1 is competition. But I doubt, as 3d artist, that I will have reason to switch back to Macs in next couple of years. Also I get fond of Ubuntu, a lot :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I feel ya - writing this in chrome in win10 on a macPro with NVIDIA cards.

I could see that for game asset creation - motion graphics the Mx macs could catch you again.

For rendering? Sure if you use an engine that supports Metal.

C4D Redshift yep
Maya AMD RPR yep
Blender Cyles nope

I know thus Apple being smart making the driver on their own and not relying on the GPU maker.

I think you are a little pessimistic and paranoid here. Apple joins iOS and macOS on their own SoC.
To make that move requires also some practical decisions.

To me this lock-down fear is blown out of proportions.

Lol sadly where we are arrived. I need to keep in mind this.

Really very kind…

Shouldn’t in theory a remote access will work fine?

Interesting will be how this should be addressed for intel and apple’s SoC now.

I don’t think anyone was implying that, and yes AMDs driver issues have everything to do with themselves. Namely the fact that their software engineering department is significantly smaller in comparison to say nvidias or intels.

And no wonder, just a few years back they were on the verge of bankruptcy. They need time to grow on that front now that they hopefully have more funds for this.

1 Like

It can, if Gnome did not have extensions (I choose Gnome to use as an example, as the developers want/ed firm control over the look and feel), standard Gnome would irk me, however, I can install extensions with the features for my desktop I want (dock, desktop icons, tiling, Bing daily wallpapers) developed externally from the core desktop…

As to sideloading, I would love the test my stuff iOS/macOS (what’s the point of cross platform development tools?) but cannot afford or want to buy a phone, a Mac and a developer subscription/licence, at prices which are equivalent to several years wages in developing country…