Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

No, definitely not, you don’t get the difference between meaningless synthetic benchmarks that model no real world workload and real benchmarks that show real world usage. YOU are buying into the marketing bullshit, nothing more.

I never said anything about geekbench. I ran ACTUAL games…not sure how you think those are synthetic benchmarks. …you are threatened and scared and lashing out in a mac thread about something you shouldnt even care about. Why are you so concerned that Apple tricked us all…let us be stupid sheep then. why do you care so much? do you work for intel?

3 Likes

I can’t think of a single situation where a machine scored well on benchmarks, yet fell behind considerably in other real world tasks.

2 Likes

That’s funny because Geekbench isn’t even showing the actual maximum score the M1 Max is capable of getting

1 Like

Can we leave geekbench behind us ?

I mean if you need put yourself onto a spankbench and test that performance

1 Like

I’m afraid this person isn’t actually reading the messages or interpreting results properly, besides nitpicking situations or company “conspiracies”. I tried to put a reasonable (albeit monologue length) perspective but went to deaf ears.

I think it’s safe to say that we should just ignore and move on, wait for those Blender tests.

On that note, if some of you got hardware to test at some point when it’s all good and dandy, to try from loading a scene, hitting render and having the final image on a somewhat heavy scene between an M1 to any other.

1 Like

Curiosity got the best of me and I will try to compile Blender with the patch if I can figure out how.

Cloning the blender source from git.blender.org is a bit slow however.

3 Likes

Great - I am really curious to test it !

Do it!!! Gelert said it wasn’t too tricky to add the patches. I’ve compiled once and only while reading carefully and following the BF guide. I don’t even have X Code on my machine anymore.

I have a feeling the first official version will be out next week sometime.

2 Likes

Speaking as someone who’s complied a program twice…

…no matter how easy they claim it is to do, it’s still a giant pain in the ass.

5 Likes

I get it to compile. Then tried applying the patches but I must be missing something as I can’t seem to get it to render on the GPU.

Decided to empty the build folder and trying again with the patches applied.

1 Like

I’m sure you read this comment, but if not this may help

"The only slightly difficult bit was getting the new patch added, which I did like this:
patch -p1 < ~/Developer/D13423.diff [downloaded the RAW file from the Dev site]"

Yes but I keep getting errors :frowning:

Blender works even with the errors but it definitely does not want to render on the GPU.

Poke the guys over on the dev site, maybe they have some tips. It seems like some of those guys are eggar to answer and solve problems like this. Maybe even ask Gelert. If he’s already sharing tips he may not mind walking you through it.

my friend attempted to compile it but ran into problems with the patch part. maybe youll have success…

Looks like Gelert did compile the x86 version… not sure if that makes a difference.
Said he could not compile the Arm one?

I am trying one more thing first aster “make debug” did not help either.
Perhaps the make update after the patch will help will see.

This is why I gave up on linux when I tried it 20 years ago, compiling was sometimes a mess.

1 Like

It’s a lot easier these days. I only have to punch my computer once a month to get it working right.

2 Likes

Yes I heard so perhaps I will try it one day again.
It still can be weird to get things to work depending on distro it seems.

I think that mostly depends upon how lucky you are. I’ve never had much trouble installing my various drivers and other bits and bobs. Most of it is usually installed and ready to go by the first boot for me, with only the proprietary Nvidia drivers taking a bit of extra effort.

…but some people, some unfortunate few, will install a Linux distro on their machines, then watch their computers immediately catch on fire.

I think the experience you get out of it might all depend upon your astrology sign.

1 Like

I think there is a issue with the patch at the moment.
Finally got the Xcode project to work (there was a strange issue with Cmake).

Looks to me like the patch is not done and some variables or so are not defined correctly ?

I don’t get it… will try to build an x86 versions and see.

2 Likes