Mac: M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max and Blender

I’m no expert, but I also think there is a lot of mis-information regarding what actually constitutes an RT core or not. I also think a lot of the misinformation has likely been welcome by the likes of Nvidia since it adds to the somewhat mysterious nature of such technology and strengthens the public’s perception that Nvidia has somewhat of an exclusive of the technology.

Fundamentally data processing can be achieved in many different ways, and there are a lot of similarities between RT processing and Machine Learning processing. I look at it like accessing power from a room full of batteries of various voltage, amperage and capacity – while it’s ideal to use the battery that is specifically designed to fit one machine, it doesn’t mean that the other batteries can’t work – and in some cases just as effectively.

1 Like

yeah marketing sells.

My guess is it is some optimized instruction chips, like apple pro res if I want to compare it to that.

I did try a raytracing demo once on the 1080, I think it was, it ran just a lot slower.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this on an M1 https://uvpackmaster.com/

I suppose it will only work on CPU as we dont have CUDA.

Mmh actually might not work on OSX at all :frowning:

UVPackmaster 3 is currently supported on the Windows 64-bit platform only (Windows 10 or later).

“Support for Linux and MacOS is to be added soon.”

2 Likes

yeah I saw that later too question is what means soon as it has been released for 1 year.

Will try to message him and see…

1 Like

Don’t 3rd party add-ons that don’t support the full Blender user base violate the BF agreement?

Good question I don’t know, but this is a 2nd one I see where I go ooh might be nice to try but it only list Windows as supported.

Unless there was s a loophole with the “coming soon” even if soon ends up being 2 years later?

While maybe a bit ot

It is interesting how they implement a pathracer now

I always thighs eeVee cycles is a super combo

If blender would only have a live link to sketchup

1 Like

RT cores will make ray tracing faster, but are not required for ray tracing. Metal already supports ray tracing. It remains to be seen if Apple goes the accelerated ray tracing route.

Rt cores Are similar to the media engine that specializes on video work in the m1

While Apple users Rt shaders I don’t think this is similar to a dedicated RT core

As I said, M1s don’t have hardware accelerated rt cores.

I got a reply from him so I guess we will see:

“ We are going to add support for Mac as soon as possible. Unfortunately I cannot provide an estimate for now.

Of course the Mac edition will support Apple Silicon.”

1 Like

As long as it is not as unusable as enabling the bilinear filter in Tomb Raider without a Voodoo 3dfx card :wink:

Maybe an explanation of why Nvidia is fast with Optix

But we can go into a little more detail than that! RT cores aren’t actually doing the full-fat job of ray tracing. Nvidia has found a less computationally intense way of quickly calculating light ray bounces around the scene.

Scene geometry is organized into a data structure known as a BVH (Bounding Volume Hierarchy). It’s a representation in 3D space of how objects in a scene are organized.

The RT cores actually look for ray intersections within this BVH structure. Whether rays intersect according to tests within the BVH influences the value of the relevant pixel shaders.This is a relatively simple test, but the RT cores can do them in massive volume and at incredible speed.

This approach is however fairly low-fidelity and results in a grainy image.Which is where the Tensor cores come in, applying a machine-learning denoiser in real time to clean up the picture.

https://www.titancomputers.com/What-Are-RT-Cores-in-Nvidia-GPUs-s/1208.htm

3 Likes

sure looks like it runs decent

I just hope it is more stable than it was when I tried to use it last time on a windows machine.

edit: should have watched the full thing seems there are some issues and not stable :frowning:

Perhaps it will try it one day out of curiosity again as there is a non commercial free version.

Pathtracer has been a while in unreal engine, but it is DXR pathtracer so you need rtx gpu. So we need to wait until epic supports metal. It’s pretty much the last thing that holds me back from going to mac. And maybe the performance in gpu rendering also needs a generation or two before it is where I’d like it to be sadly.

RT is not GPU only, Intel uses Embre much longer and there is a similar technology on M1. I only know that some developers spoke about a tool converting Embre commands to Metal. Only Apple knows how this differs from RTX. But I guess performance will tell anyway.
So once M1 beats a RTX3090, who cares about RT at all… well but thats not happening soon.

The windows version offers a pathtracer option now also on gtx cards. Not in the Mac version.

But the mac version runs decently well.

I think this is only a matter of time. The gaming market for iPhone iPad is big.

1 Like

Yeah that the nice part also about apples SoC - they can add hardware accelerators if needed and implement a very good software / driver connection

I’d honestly take a 2080 like performance with nice amount of ram if just unreal 5 would support mac with all the neat features of the engine.

I had to double check and you’re right.

Anyways, sorry for the off topic.

1 Like