Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

I believe the way it works is that if you’re using the machine for simple things that aren’t too processor intensive, like watching a video, or browsing the web, you’ll fall back to the efficiency cores to save on battery power. Once you kick things up a notch, the performance cores take center stage, relegating the efficiency cores to the side.

1 Like

There are rather differences in Cinebench R23 due to different power systems. Note that one of Alienware with that CPU gets to 14000
Edit: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-x17-R1-RTX-3080-laptop-review-A-new-beginning.563108.0.html

Yes I thinks so too.

Alos pro motion should help a bit on these new machines as it goes from 24 to 120 hz.

1 Like

Yes but more the cooling in this case as it is the same intel chip with the same TDP

and here? isn’t this the complete TDP? cpu and gpu combined?

anyway, who here enjoys working on a notebook that uses much more than 15w? i find with more than that it gets really annoying noise-wise and heat-wise. also on previous apple notebooks i have tried…

I think we would all agree that previous apple notebook were um horrible at least when it came to heat, fan noise and battery life. The m1 air is better than all if those.

1 Like

This looks very cool: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-m1-max-catches-up-to-rx-6800m-geforce-rtx-3080-mobile-gfxbench-5

4 Likes

I think M1 MAX GPU indeed will be monster in rasterisation (e.g. Eevee or Apple Motion). I don’t expect miracles in computation - maybe a bit faster than iMac Pro :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That we’re discussing the M1 Max on roughly the same grounds as a 3080M is something of a miracle in and of itself.

3 Likes

Pretty nice to see those early estimates.

The internet keeps replying with, “but games…”
I just want to grab Apple’s “Pro” machine and do “Pro” work, couldn’t careless about games running well on it. If game studios don’t make Native MacOS games for the MacBooks through to Mac Pro it won’t matter. You know why? Cause the developers that Apple is trying to attract back are already moving back, and that’s the DCC developers.

2D, 3D, Audio, Film, Etc. are the studios that Apple is trying to win back, and it looks like they are doing an incredible job at it.

6 Likes

If I wanted a machine to play games, the last thing I’d do is choose is an Apple. They may have the GPU power now, but the price is too overkill for them to ever take a portion of that particular market.

No, my MBP will be primarily for design. Maybe also email. For games, I’m getting a Steam Deck!

4 Likes

Yup, I have my Stadia subscription now and it has been perfect for how I game, which isn’t much. As I’ve gotten older the desire to game isn’t there as much. The desire to create something that’s in a game though is through the roof.

3 Likes

Not sure but according to this
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/3557857

It is about as fast as the AMD RX 5700 Xt desktop card, which I think is quite ok.

Question is is that the 24 core GPU?

2 Likes

Somehow the metal scores don’t reveal the core count but according to the other results which are OpenCL these are all fully specced machines with 32 cores.
Compared with the M1 which is roughly at 19000 OCL and 21000 Metal it looks like the M1 Max graphics don’t scale linear as expected (should be 85000 Metal) but somewhat worse like 3x only.

You can configure a M1 Max with 24 cores.

So it is either good scaling and the 4 times memory bandwidth.

Or it is 32 and bad scaling.

M1 has 60 or 100 GB/s the Max 400 GB/s.

Either way it still would be a nice improvement over the 5600m in the old 16” Macbooks.

1 Like

We’ll know when more results come up.
But M1 benchmarks are consistent between Metal and OCL.
Now when the OCL results show only 3x the power for the 32-core, I’m sceptical about Metal scoring better. I’m suspecting 90W vs 30W thermals posing a problem here.

1 Like

yeah cant wait for next weeks to see some reviews.

1 Like

When Apple decides to add hardware raytracing support to the M2 Max instead of another ProRes accelerator they could challenge Optix RTX I’m sure.
But the M1 generation is probably not quite there yet, maybe at the CUDA level of a 3070.
We’ll know when Blender 3.1 Metal becomes accessible.

2 Likes

Spotted an M1 Pro (16 cores).
So for GeekBench OpenCL (Metal) compute results we have:
M1 (8 cores): 19000 (21000)
M1 Pro (16c): 38000 (41000)
M1 Max (32c):59000 (67000)
:thinking:

edit: added Metal scores

1 Like

yes that is what a lot of people pointed out (in another forum).

Geekbench detecting the hardware wrong?

and 32 is actually 24?

8 to 16 scales perfect and 32 would that bad?