Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

@ulf3000
It’s 32 core GPU and 12 to 16 core CPU; two separate core counts. You gotta remember Apple is doing it a “little different” with the whole SOC design.

The 32 core CPU is projected to have a 128 core GPU paired with it. And that thing may just be in a league of its own.

The M1’s 8 core GPU separate from its 8 core CPU is already putting up impressive numbers for an iGPU.
So I guess we can only wait and have a little fun with the rumor predictions. It not something to get butt hurt over. :grin:

You do have to take in the fact that the M1 is rendering that scene on its 4x4 core CPU VS a Nvidia GPU.
M1 Macs can’t render Cycles scenes on its GPU.

So basically you’re comparing a low core CPU to a higher end last gen GPU. Which doesn’t look to shabby. :grin:

I know. I hope we get the metal version of Blender, then the scene will render twice as fast. :slight_smile:

I know this because AMD ProRenderer uses Metal under Blender.

1 Like

Although those new mac offerings are very tempting, I am still not ready yet to abandon windows versatility in term of software/hardware choices.

If I did graphics design only, new macs are a nobrainer, but being a generalist that rely heavily on blender it is not time yet for me to switch.

You can also create anything in 3D with macOS. Cinema 4D is pretty good. But if you’re working with Blender, Linux/Windows PC are the best machines for that because that’s where the development happens. Otherwise you can do everything with macOS plus HardCore-UNIX :smiley:

You can make real money with macOS.

I’m in the same boat with software choices for 3D. I have to have a second machine running Windows now that the M1s don’t have a Boot Camp option anymore.
I tried a trial of Paralles but some apps wouldn’t even boot up.
The whole Apple ARM app compatibility and workflow is just to immature at the moment.

I’m sure a year or two from now things are going to be different.

1 Like

Development on M1 is much faster than from PPC to Intel. :slight_smile: or from 68000 to PPC :smiley:

1 Like

It definitely seems to be coming at a faster pace. Let’s hope it keeps up.

1 Like

I assume Apple previous experience with a switch helps them this time switching to ARM. To my understanding the work to make X86 code run on SoC is less work than it was for PPC to X86.

One Rain 5900x RTX 3070. It seems animation in the rain scene does use a single core for something. Seems about right in line with cinebench single core which says 5900x is slightly faster than M1 single core.

Vertex Color on 42.53 fps

Viewport Shading 27.22 fps

Object Color on 44.07 fps

Eevee 27.16 fps

9 sec render Cycles 64 samples Optix denoise

Original pics from M1 post above

Vertex Shading 42.08 fps

Viewport Shading 26.06 fps

It is interesting the M1 Viewport Shading is missing some things like depth of field, shadows, and shading where the PC Viewport Shading looks almost like Eevee. Eevee does seem to be almost as fast as Viewport though. I like using Eevee when animating characters as it feels so cool seeing almost the final product quality in real time as I move the character around. It makes it more fun.

A nice summary of WWDC.

Cycles X in Blender 3.0 is also supposed to have a good CPU speed up for all those that can’t use Nvidia. So big plus there for mac users.

3 Likes

Thanks for running these and posting the screen shots. I do appreciate you taking the time. :metal:t2:

I’ll add that I didn’t expect that Eevee fps to be that high :open_mouth:. That 3070 is putting out some major pixels!

its just that today everything is more standardized. All the libraries, ides, structuring , cross compatibility etc. pp. is much fleshed out for the base libraries, the os`s, and the programs themselfs.

seems like eevee will get a major overhaul with tesselation , vertex shaders , gamelike shader evaluation(much faster) , proper grease pencil integration etc.

3 Likes

thanx for posting!

ABOUT FREAKIN TIME! :smiley:

dude i mean geometry shaders and maybe a bridge to gpu accelerated skinning and stuff like that haha

Geometry shaders are exactly what I want. It’s something that’s been sorely missing in Blender, and has only been halfway addressable through geometry nodes.

1 Like

Yeah, Signed Distance Fields are also shader-based geometry, and I love 'em.

3 Likes

Not really blender but while we are on the subjects of SDF…

I am amazed.

2 Likes

also hoping we will make a MacOS version of that, guess I will have to turn on my PC :wink:

For both it seems Magic Voxel does not work on the M1 :frowning:

1 Like