Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

It’s not going into the MBPs but the MacPro instead. The 32 cores is expected to be at RTX3060-3070 level of power.

I think the question is how much slower is the M1 than the RTX solution. Note that M1 was never aimed for work like blender and the original MBP13 uses intel iGPU.
Apple is definitely coming out with MUCH better gpu solution for the higher end macs. We need to know how much the difference is the raytracing feature in M1 vs RTX is to realistically speculate how the next will perform. It would be great if you could tell how much weaker it is.

Support for metal I have asked on the CycleX release, they kind of avoid it. They just say that when Cycle X is stable, Intel and AMD gpu is supported, porting metal and other could be done “quite easily”

1 Like

What is this? A competition for the stupidest conclusion? So maybe Cycles is essentially the Cycles renderer with Blender as a fancy GUI? Or Cinema4D is just a fancy GUI for the Redshift?

Metal version of Cycles/Eevee would not require entire Blender Metal version.
OctaneX + Octane Server combo is just a way to get around Blender’s pain in the ass license restrictions.

1 Like

Here’s a good explanation of why the next chips may very well be M1X and not M2. M2 could possibly be the start of the new ARM V9 instruction protocols just released, unlike the V8 that the M1 uses.
I’m super content with my M1 machine at the moment and could defiantly wait until next year to splurge on the more mature M series.

4 Likes

Interesting so everything they might announce end of the year will probably still be based on v8 :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m curious about that myself. Or they (Apple) is working in tandem with the ARM group and have something ready for late this year.

1 Like

yes it might depend if they gave v9 to apple even before announcing it, how knows :wink:

1 Like

Cycles integrates well with blender, and is the included renderer with Blender, as is EEVEE. Everything, including the cycles render, is bundled with the blender app. On the other hand, OctaneX and its client/server structure splits up the two, and octaneX uses its own proprietary filetypes that it converts between internally, hence why I consider it just “strapped on”

Cycles is not meant to be used as a standalone renderer, while OctaneX is.

Cinema4D is just a fancy GUI for the Redshift?

I consider it as one. It isn’t integrated with redshift as blender is with cycles, you can use any of the major renderers out there.

Because the M2 may come with a new architecture and the 3nm
process that will start/release at the end of this year the earliest.

But they can bring larger SoCs with more cores and current
M1 architecture at any time (WWDC hint hint)
As they didn’t, they may have waited to bring M1x with the interims
4 nm which may start (for Apple) in a few weeks or months.
Little smaller SoCs may be cheaper for Apple.

I think V8/V9 is totally irrelevant for Apple.
It is for standard licensees like Samsung that use standard ARM licensees
and use ARMs feature set.
Apple designs its own chips on the ARM base, so it is very likely that
their chips use different architecture since a few years and are already better
for their special purposes than ARM’s V8 offer. They are independent from
ARM’s Vx development.

Haha, the way you edited my quote made it look like a question :grin: I wasn’t asking; it was a statement that the video I linked addresses.
But yes the answer you give is what they’re talking about in the video. :wink:

We know Apple designs their own ARM based chips, but they are licensing the Arm instruction sets, this is what the license is for; and they are currently using the V8 version.

Because the M2 may come with a new architecture and the 3nm
process that will start/release at the end of this year the earliest.

Well apple doesn’t control the process, the density of the chip is in the hands of TSMC. TSMC expects 4/3nm chips around 2022, but even in the past transistor density is irrelevant to versioning
(number) = generation, (letter) = grade. the M1X is the M1 with more cores, while the M2 will be the successor to the m1. I.e the m1x goes in higher end laptops, while the M2 will go in the replacement for the lower end 13 inch pro/air’s

It is for standard licensees like Samsung that use standard ARM licensees
and use ARMs feature set.

Apple liscensces the instruction set as well. They have an unconventional design, but its the same instruction set at the base. V9/V8 matters though.

Yeah, I’m curious about that myself. Or they (Apple) is working in tandem with the ARM group and have something ready for late this year.

I doubt apple is working in tandem with the ARM group to develop the chip itself, but major companies (huawai I believe had an agreement with the arm group as well) have access to the architecture beforehand

1 Like

AFAIK the interims 4 nm process does not need (much?) design changes,
it will be just smaller and though maybe cheaper because of yield.
While the 3 nm will need larger design changes.
And I thought that I read that 4 nm at TSMC is soon available.

My assumption is that, even Apple is using V8 or soon V9 instructions,
that Apple isn’t that directly dependent as others and therefore may
also not profit that much from the promised gains of the switch by,
was it 40% improvement (?) or such.
I assume/hope we will see the standard Apple single core and architecture
improvements with their next generations.

Considering this was brought up earlier in this thread, I’ll post this here, and consider it “related news.”

Windows 11 build 21996 has leaked with new desktop UI and more | Windows Central

For the most part, it’s Windows 10x: Desktop Edition. Going by the video, there does still seem to be a lot of old Windows lurking around behind the scenes, though that may change as the beta rolls on. Overall, I’d say it’s pretty alright. Not a massive change, but a nice little UI/UX update to Win10.

What i find annoying about win10 is all the old stuff that is still there

I really hoped for win11 to finally offer something like the finder in terms of visually clarity

The win11 explorer is again reminding me of my Amiga OS time …

1 Like

Given that this is already out of date leaked beta, I’m not quite ready to complain just yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me too much if they don’t go full tilt on the necessary changes.

A lot of people gripe about how Apple can just nix entire parts of their OS on a whim, but it’s really their greatest strength. It allows them to keep everything fresh, speedy, and modern. MS doesn’t have that luxury, being so beholden with their enterprise users who expect a stable platform for decades on end. Sure, it’s nice having an OS that’s still compatible with software released at the turn of the century, but it comes at the cost of, well, Windows 10, which feels like a badly mixed hodgepodge of 3 different OSes slapped together.

That is pretty true - Apple has a freedom of development MS does not.

Specifically from a ease of use concept windows however was never about that but more maximum options.

Look at how many ways windows offers developing for high res displays

That’s one of the reason not all apps are Converter to HiDPI.

MacOS preference panel also shows some old stuff but for again and again setting up simple file sharing access is where you can see how easy this could be when using MacOS vs windows.

1 Like

no , the new stuff is the annoying one , dumbed down menues , hidden menues and all that shit

Look at how many ways windows offers developing for high res displays, That’s one of the reason not all apps are Converter to HiDPI.

I’ve never had a problem with HiDPI displays on windows 10. I have two 4k displays that both scale beautifully on all the apps I use.