Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Yeah I agree that it would not be wise but I suppose the semiconductor shortage delayed them.

Them not supporting Nvida cards was a big mistake too if you ask me.

I probably will get the m1x 16” should be fine for my use (if it has min 32 Gb of Ram).

I hope they will bring back eGPU support and not just for Apple cards but AMD and Nvidia…

I get people that switch to PC so many Apps are more Nvidia optimized than AMD.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly.

One other drawback (next to a number of Mac advantages I’m looking forward to) that still makes me slightly hesitant about a return to macOS is the software availability. For example, I love fiddling with open source AI / ML tools like ESRGAN, and the accessible GUI-based tools for that are Windows-only.

Apple is probably never going to work with Nvidia again so don’t hold your breath on that one.

4 Likes

Agree. They say “never say never” but I’d say “forget Nvidia on a Mac” (natively).

1 Like

Yes, Apple and Nvidia would never….mind.

4 Likes

It’s great that Nvidia is working with Pixar and Apple to develop USD. Does this have anything to do with the CUDA and Optix on the Mac? I highly doubt it.

They just did.

Look, what you really want isn’t Nvidia chips in a apple computer.

It doesn’t matter what chip is on there. AMD, Intel, Apple, Nvidia or a potato. What you want is a fast GPU at a low price that doesn’t consume power like a space heater. Who cares what label is printed on it, they all are made in the same factory anyway.

It also doesn’t matter if it runs CUDA, OpenCL or COBOL. As long as you get Redshift, Arnold and Cycles to use it.

Asking for a specific brand of GPU is putting the cart before the horse. You want the best, the fastest, the most value for your money, and it is irrelevant what company made it.

7 Likes

They’re like a divorced couple that work in the same industry. Every once in a while they might be forced to collaborate on a project because of the nature of their industry, but will they ever get re-married? Nope!

3 Likes

That is only history repeating itself.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ati-suffers-wrath-of-jobs/

We’ve seen “hell freezing over” with Apple so many times. Apple working with Microsoft to include IE with MacOS. Apple using IBM CPUs. Apple using Intel CPUs. Should they decide tomorrow that an RTX 8000 is the best GPU for their next Mac Pro, you bet it’ll be in it. I mean, Nvidia already has ARM drivers for it…

3 Likes

Agreed. The only reason to care for NVIDIA for Mac is the extensive specific support for CUDA and Optix in renderers like Cycles, Octane, LuxCoreRender, Keyshot and more.

But yeah, I’d also be very surprised if Apple would return to NVIDIA, and that is not a problem if support for Apple 3D libraries grows. Right now I’m already an Octane user, so that will allow for an easy transition to the Metal-optimized version of Octane.

I will eat my hat if a modern Nvidia GPU will ever be usable on a Mac of any type. I think there is too much animosity there, much more than with AMD back when.

Also, remember how shoddy Nvidia support was for MacOS? Their drivers were absolute crap (not that their drivers for Windows are much better).

4 Likes

Apple is just a control freak.

They always wanted to control the GPU Drivers and it was
long ago speculated they would also like to have their own
GPU hardware.
Later it was speculated they want their own CPU Hardware.
Now we have it.

In the past they had a dispute with Nvidia about the faulty
dying GPU experience and compensation, decided to use
only AMD GPU from then.
(AMD may (have) be(en) easier to control too)

If that would not have happened, maybe they would have
supported CUDA, or not, depending on their marketing and
needs.
But at the time they thought about Metal, that would have been
obsolete anyway.

Global Companies are just pragmatic at an unemotional human
level. If they think they would profit from Nvidia, they will produce
a keynote video with Jensen.
Apple has no problem to fight with other Companies while buying
their products. And other Companies have no problem to do so
either.

As Metal being in concurrence to CUDA or Vulkan, we won’t see it
on Mac. If there will be any reasons in the future they could profit
from these, they would announce to support it like they never did
anything else before.

1 Like

Got news for you…they all are!

What I said

Apple and PIXAR have really good relationship for obvious reasons and PIXAR has no real choice but to work with Nvidia since they are the only ones who do what they do. Apple works with Nvidia all the time (they are part of the Khronos group after all). Apple will probably never “work” with Nvidia directly again for the foreseeable future, especially when it comes to hardware.

The last thing Apple wants is people using CUDA over Metal and the minute Apple lets Nvidia back on the platform that’s what people will ask for.

1 Like

Everything is about profit for the company, or they won’t be as big as they are now. As a consumer just choose what you can afford and what suits you. Or just what you like

1 Like

Was hoping BF wasn’t going the MoltenVK route and was working on a true Metal version but that doesn’t look to be the case.

1 Like

I am not surprised. They keep talking about Blender interface and Eevee. It’s better than nothing.
Worse if it was about Cycles…

1 Like

I didn’t think about that. Maybe this is just a layer for Eevee based stuff since Eevee is going to be connected to Vulcan in the future.
Yes I agree, it’s better than nothing. :grin:

The goal is to replace OpenGL old junk with Vulkan.
I am still living in a dream land where the letter ‘X’ after Cycles means Metal version for the best OS in the whole world.

4 Likes