Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

It’s not just you. Downloading from Blender.org, especially from the experimental branches, usually takes me about 10-15 minutes as well.

Contrast this to what happens when I download one of 0451’s SSGI builds off Google Drive, which finishes almost the moment after I hit the Save As button.

Well if you can choose between expensive and expensive it is still not really a choice.

A city like where you are is different than the rest of the US where larger companies can even force local government to rule against the creation of cheaper local internet options.

Work from home for normal office will be fine speed wise. Conferencing services mike zoom etc do scale down limit webcams to stream HD anyway.

For media based work we saw that at school internet isn’t really that usable to transfer GB of video files for After Effects - but that’s also based on what students had access at home.

For true remote work fiber will be more must and also data caps are a concern to me.

1 Like

Apple’s new MacBook Pro chips may be called the M1 Pro and M1 Max | Engadget

If true, then it is good for those who waiting for something a bit more substantial than “the iPad pro in a different form factor”, but not as good for those hoping the mystical M2 chip will come and blow the doors off anything provided by Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

Then there’s still the uncertainty over the amount of memory in the new models. For detailed scenes you want at least 32 gigs available to hold render data, and for heavy sims it is recommended to have at least 64 gigs. Staying at 16 gigs mean you have plenty of computing power, but just the minimum to make decent CG work.

1 Like

Just reading this paragraph made my wallet scream.

2 Likes

I just downloaded the current Blender alpha in 3-4min. I am in Europe.

What’s wrong with the iPadPro in a different form when it delivers power very sufficient for me to work as an industrial designer and photoshoper ???

Tomorrow will be about the MacBook pro

Not the macpro

That machine will come later

Apple just recently ups graded the GPU for the Intel macpro

After an awesome advertising campaign, Intel is softening the message a bit (Intel CEO):
“Apple decided they could do a better chip themselves than we could. And, you know, they did a pretty good job. "
He promises to try to get back to Macs. They have plenty of time for this. I think about 10-15 years.

1 Like

My first online experience was using a 1200 baud modem connected to an analog telephone line. :older_man: I remember the connection being so slow that you could watch the plain text characters appear on screen in a sequential manner.

The sequential appearance of text characters on a computer screen remained that way in films until at least the late 1990s. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve got a slight bit of hope that a more powerful iMac (maybe an Apple Silicon iMac Pro) will be announced as well today, but I’m expecting that announcement to follow early next year. :neutral_face:

I think hell will freeze over before that happens again.

Pretty sure they will sneak in the M1x Mini and perhaps the iMac

2 Likes

I don’t think they will do the iMac but I think the mini for sure.

1 Like

yeah there was s a good chance that they will keep that for the spring event with the new Macbook Air.

3 hours til.

I’m tingly with anticipation!

2 Likes

yeah cant wait to get off work and watch it at home.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I am a bit thorn but I think I will probably go for the macbook :wink:

what I am not sure about is 14 or 16”.

However is the 16” is the only one that gets 32 Gpu cores then the choice is easy.

1 Like

I’m still hoping for a Mac Mini with those specs.

3 Likes

45 minutes later…,”oh I can see a boob!” :joy:

4 Likes

I think 14" will also get 32-core GPU as option.

1 Like