Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

This really explains where most of Apples advantage comes from, any processor is a combination of Power vs Performance vs Area (silicon used) and Apple have basically said fuck-it and spent $$$ on Area so they have the best power vs performance, while using the latest node to assist and absorb the cost into the products price.

You could literally produce 5 of AMD’s 58XX/59XX mobile APUS (10.7b transistors) for less silicon than a single M1 Max (57b transistors). Or a Ryzen 5950X (19.5b) and nVidia RTX 3080 Ti (28.3b) for less transistors. It’s unlikely much further expansion can be done on a monolithic die as well.

As a consumer, this is an excellent product, with incredibly tight integration. If the same number of transistors and process node were used by Apple’s competition, I would a significant proportion of the performance and power advantage Apple has would disappear.

2 Likes

Do you think metal cycle will support hybrid rendering? Or the XPU thing? Somehow utilisingboth cpu and gpu? I guess that would perform very well with the 10 core cpu

1 Like

That would be ideal. In my PC laptop the faster setup is Optix with CPU and GPU selected.

First GeekBench OCL score of M1 Max: 60 167
Metal should be better, but no entry yet.

I think this is way more relevant than opencl which is a thing of the past anyway.
Metal scores will count :wink:

mmh apparently the link does not work…

I guess some youtubers are preparing reviews

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=Apple+M1+Max

1 Like

Those single core numbers are all in the same ballpark as i9s and Ryzen 5900’s. That’s incredible.

Yup an multi core beats the 12 core MacPro 2019 :wink: I think that is amazing for a notebook.

Also considering the 12 core Mac Pro with the after burner card is like 4 k more expensive than the M1 Max at similar config.

2 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

i hope an alpha build of 3.1 with metal support pops up in the next month or so. i don’t want to make any purchase decisions based on future promises (got burned with apple promoting vr support and then letting it drop a year later)… but my goodness this laptop feels like everything i’ve wanted

1 Like

Yes so for it looks like it might be a great mobile workstation.

So it looks like it did double in multi score. If I remember correctly the M1 8core scored 7400?
4x4 8core vs the new 8x2 10core.

Sweet!

1 Like

yes I am waiting for official results but so far it seems nice.

Could not find much in terms if GPU yet.

Like some Cinema 4D redshift or so would be nice to see to get a better idea.

Then again Blender is what I really wold like to know, give use that 3.1 alpha :wink:

1 Like

If the rumors for the chip in the Mac Pro are true, that thing is going to be a beast!

2 Likes

Do not seem that great result in Cinebench R23 multi, i got 13200 with my Ryzen 5800 and my 17.3" laptop was 1100 euro.

For Blender i think only with 3.1 and Metal there will be good feedback.

2 Likes

Are those Intel and AMD cpus destktop class right?
Because then this continues to be beyond mind-blowing… here’s a 8-core high performance section of the M1 Pro/Max having practically the same scores as some older 10-core and current gen 8-core CPUs with 2x or 3x or whoknowsX the power draw.

I do emphasize the cores and how close they are, because:

1. 14970 v ~15000 is just 0.2% difference
  2. I see these machines as 8-core with extra help: the 2 extra efficiency cores are really just that, efficiency, they pack some punch but they are there to take care of whatever could hog the system with minor annoying things that add up: copying files, the installd doing it’s thing, maybe time machine backup, who knows what else.
1 Like

Ok, hadn’t seen this one. This is an important remark… not quite far away then for quite affordable laptops on the CPU side.

It’s still the rest too though, the screen (except if the notch is a no go for some), easy connectivity with anything apple (iPads, AirPods, keyboards/mice, etc), the battery life and as you mention, to be determined but optimistic, whatever the metal scores are going to show

Mmh interesting still waiting for reviews to confirm those values.

Also AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H is listed as 45 W TDP

M1 Max according to the Keynote Graph should be 30w.

That would be 13% faster at 15 Watt less for what is is worth.

no! pro is 30w, max is 60w.

1 Like

that is the gpu not cpu… cpu is the same

So full machine is probably 60 W for the Pro a d 90 W for the Max

So as I was just talking cpu it is still 15 W less.

Also if I compare that to the razor blade 17.

Wowo that is 290 W combined.
That gets 12316 in cinebench R23

1 Like