Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

I’m Gen X and I like my power bills low! :wink:

4 Likes

I’m not even supposed to be here today!

1 Like

When it comes to NURBS / solids modeling, I’m still a fan of MoI 3D. The elegance of its UI / UX is unsurpassed, and it still has the best mesher.

1 Like

I always forget that one, never tried it.

1 Like

MOI is pretty fantastic but lacks decent blend tools.
Also solid modeling is pointless if the software does not offer decent direct modeling abilities.

Shapr3d for example defeats Fusion hands down. Rhino ? What a joke …
I am not saying Fusion is much better. They kinda all suck in some areas to mind blowing degrees.

I could write pages about it :wink:

The only app that for its intent is seriously perfect is Alias for car design.

I dont think it is offtopic - the power efficiency is seriously important.
Less wasted heat, less power wasted, less impact on the nation.

BUT NO FREE ROOM HEATER ANYMORE arg …

2 Likes

As for me, my concern with power consumption and heat is not because I want a feel-good eco-box, but rather because such high-powered hardware pushed to the brink is more likely to fail within a few years (which means a lot of money down the drain).

As for whether or not one should be compelled to get such a box and slash their productivity ‘for the planet’, I would urge all of you to not just believe something because the person who said it has a college degree and wears the moniker of ‘scientist’. The world of science these days is just as prone to falsehood as the average social media site.

2 Likes

Let’s please leave your personal politic out of this discussion.

4 Likes

But some internet rando on a CG software forum knows better? Okay.

1 Like

that would increase the already ridiculous resale value of macs even more.
Three of my macs (MBP NVIDIA iMac AMD) had their GPUs fried at one point.
But like with NVIDIA that was actually because NVIDIA produced bad chips.

I just mainly hear it from Gamers who seriously stress test their gear and cheap components in graphic cards.

1 Like

I think the main problem is not the world of science, is that many YouTubers profess to speak as educated scientists whereas they are nothing more than uninformed idiots.

1 Like

Looks like I will get my 16” one day before the Blender 3 release :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, MoI lacks in some areas, particularly the fillets are very unforgiving. But the UI / UX and the warm community are great.

I still think Blender’s NURBS tools should get a big upgrade. As versatile as Blender is, NURBS modeling is one of the few areas where Blender is really lagging far behind.

Yeah I agree - as cool as all those SubD hard edge models are including all the add-one to speed up that workflow they cannot over am the limitations of SubD modeling.

Even at a basic level it would help a lot !

Blenders curve / nurbs tools cannot even make straight crown molding - the profiles are distorted !

1 Like

You nailed it precisely. It’s incredible how much they trust their supposed knowledge…

2 Likes

I’m convinced most of the bobbleheads on Youtube are well aware that they’re spouting loads of BS. They continue to do it not because they believe it, but because they know there’s an audience out there for it, and are more than happy to pander to them for the kickbacks.

2 Likes
1 Like

yeah what I mean, happy Apple is as power efficient as it is, even if it is the fastest.

Even if they make a M1 Max duo or whatever they call it and it uses 180- 200 watts with full load on both cpu and gpu it is noting compared to some others.

2 Likes

its quite amazing how little power these things sip when in low-power mode and just browsing the web and watching youtube. I am currently discharging at 7 watts…42 deg temps and no fans. This is the 14in m1 max 32 with 32gb ram
overall im pretty happy with the 14in…it will get slightly warm when doing intensive stuff and when charging the battery. When gaming it will get pretty toasty if you leave the system to control its own fan curve. I noticed if I turn the fans on max manually ( they are very quiet even on full blast) then the machine doesnt get too hot gaming

5 Likes

I’m bouncing between getting the 14 and 16 inch right now. I know I said I was going for the smaller of the two previously, but, well, I’m flaky at the best of times.

2 Likes