Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Wait a moment

Gpu rendering is not yet supported…

You guys already able to run gpu rendering? I wonder why…

We compiled from source and applied the GPU patch for Metal. It’s not out on the daily builds yet. There are instructions on the devtalk site here: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/opencl-on-apple-m1/18446/43

GPU rendering only works on Apple Silicon chips and I could only get it to work with the Rosetta 2 build on M1 Max. This is very early days. I get a Metal kernel error on an AMD GPU on an Intel Mac.

2 Likes

Ohh I see thanks

1 Like

Ooh I just noticed now I am curious to try that but it will have to wait till I get home… your classroom render is 150 samples mine is 300.

So 110 sec for 300 then?

1 Like

classroom - M1 Max GPU - 1m49 (109s) 300 samples - B31-alpha

2 Likes

Are these running with cycle x or cycles?

close guess :wink:

I wonder how much the difference would be if yours was not under rosetta2.

1 Like

They’re all Cycles X. Blender 3.0 and 3.1 have switched to Cycles X.

1 Like

Blender itself under Rosetta 2 feels very fast. Once Metal is running (so long as there isn’t much CPU needed to keep it fed) then Metal is native even in Rosetta 2 so I don’t think there will be much. Someone else thought there might be 10% improvement?

Has anyone confirmed that they got Metal rendering working with the ARM build?

1 Like

When I checked mine said Apple in the activity monitor.

I am however at work and don’t have my macbook with me so I cant make sure.

Mine says Intel in Activity Monitor. Did you do the compile on an M1 chip?

I still believe the default Blender source download is configured for X86 compile, not ARM.

Both Intel and AS chips can definitely cross compile Mac apps in Xcode.

1 Like

Do you have a moment to help out a fella in need? I’m trying to get it to compile following the instructions in the other thread, but I am getting errors like “MTLMotionKeyframeData” is undeclared, etc.

yes compiled it one the same machine I am testing it on.

I did try to compile an x86 version with xcode but did not work had some errors with some png missing or so.

Makes sense. I just didn’t want to mess up my shiny new M1 Mac!!

When you get home, if you can check if it did compile native Apple in Activity Monitor that would be great, thanks. If it did then I’ll re-do it all again on the M1.

1 Like

Is the MetalRT patch included in your testing? Does it mean ray tracing?

you cant mess up much… I did not even install the full Xcode on that one :wink:

The xcode compile was actually on an air.

But I can just share my compiled version later too.

However viewport render does not work in my compile :frowning:

I’ve got Xcode on both anyway for iOS dev. The Blender source and compiling of it was very clean indeed so it won’t mess anything up.

I’ve got an iCloud link with my X86 build. Wasn’t sure if it was okay to share it though and you’d have to trust it wasn’t infected with anything except Metal Cycles X! If it is okay to share the link I will.

Viewport rendering works really well on my build but selecting objects doesn’t!

Mmh good question…

I remember someone sharing an early self compiled arm version a while back, but I don’t know if there are any rules against it.

Just reading https://developer.blender.org/D13423 again now and quite a lot changed after I built my version on Dec 1st.

There’s a chance that downloading the latest Diff makes it better (or worse !).