Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Interesting idea. I assume the idea would be that such a filter would cover the holes where the air gets sucked in? Or place the Mac Studio on a cut-out sheet of such filter material on top of a microwave grid stand?

yeah cover the holes I thought, not sure however how much it would keep out or not.

Seen some creative solutions.

If I was a hub maker I would create something like that for the studio with a filter.

1 Like

good work engineer life .

Out of curiosity, I’ve just downloaded the Blender benchmark, getting a GPU score, for my 2015 Xeon + RTX 2060 S. of 2173; as I see that there are a few Apple M1 Ultra scores on display here: https://opendata.blender.org/benchmarks/query/?compute_type=OPTIX&compute_type=CUDA&compute_type=HIP&compute_type=METAL&group_by=device_name&blender_version=3.1.0 around 1060 points, I’m curious if that’s representative of the reality, as in M1 Ultra (who knows how many cores) = half the rendering speed of a 2060 Super, currently?

(btw, my Xeon CPU score is around 67 points, abysmal :laughing: )

Should be representative, the exception is if you go out of VRAM memory in the 1060, but i don’t know what would the penalty in that case.

2060, but yes: at 8 GB of ram I had a few rendering fail on me in the past.

Apologies, yeah 2060. I have 3060 Laptop and do 13 sec in BMW, i think Studio is doing 35 sec. BMW is not the best representative but it is an indication.

1 Like

Could someone with an M1 - M1 Ultra, download the Ellie Pose Library for me and give me their opinion on performance? With my 2015 iMac it just beachballs (same under bootcamp) with 3.1.

I am interested in purchasing a Mac Studio for animation/rendering purposes. Thank you in advance, this thread has been great!

Apple what are you doing…

Rendering on the GPU on my 14 core.

64 core form the Mac tech video.

Lets make it even more interesting 32 core Max.

I still find something very weird about this.
Interestingly they all say 1296 MHz and 100%.

Also does not make sense to me that about 4,5 times the cores only uses about 2,7 times more power.

And if those are correct no surprise that is is that “slow” rendering with 14W combined package power lol a PC uses more in stand by.

Scene does not have an impact either if it is BMW or Monster under the bed, same 14 W.

Interestingly they all say 1296 MHz and 100%.

4 Likes

M1 Slow.
Linux, RTX 2080. Perfekt.

I can confirm, M1 Pro and Max both beachball like crazy in 3.1 and 3.2a seems no better.
Once loaded it seems fine and plays back in realtime.
However got the pink material bug on her head (Material Preview).

Note sure about the M1 architecture, but it looks like it’s using the E-cores instead of the P-core, isn’t it supposed to be the other way around ? E-cores for background tasks and P-core for active ones ?

:thinking:

1 Like

Well it is only rendering on the GPU so the CPU is bored and uses E cores :slight_smile:

I never render with both GPU and CPU as the benefits are not worth it in Blender at the moment.

Here when rendering with both if you are curious.

2 Likes

Very remarkable. It would be great if you’d want to post this over at the Devtalk Metal thread, where Apple engineers are reading along.

1 Like

Good idea I will post it here too see what they say.

Update:
Done, now lets see what Brecht or Jason for example say to that :wink:

2 Likes

Really looking forward to it - Sofar no reply.

If I get it right also other apps have the same Lower Power draw Render Time Score.

I am curious if Apple used an internal MacOS build

Perhaps, I don’t have redshift or I would have checked how that behaves.

Makes me also wonder if the 2x performance they had in some prototypes was only code optimization or perhaps a power draw change.

Shame on you Apple.

1 Like

It is possible that Apple has done that to keep people from running into issues with their Macs. Apple tends to fine-tune every part that goes into their computing devices.

The drawback then is Mac. users literally do not have any vendor choice other than Apple when it comes to upgrading their machines (which, while that may be a good thing for the computer illiterate who value not breaking anything over everything else, it also means Apple remaining a company where you spend more for the same specs compared to the world of PC’s).

1 Like

True we will see perhaps Apple will do official kits at some point.
After all they started the self repair program for some phones or they will soon not totally sure.

1 Like