Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Then Parallels includes an up-to-date OpenGL library. Thanks for the info.

Ha what ? How ? I just did that yesterday and it does not start !

Win11 ARM ?

Same here I just checked, noting happens when I try to run it.

Normal too as Parallels only does OpenGL 3.3

Magica Voxel works however.

Ah, sorry, my bad. I could run MagicaVoxel, not MagicaCSG.

ah ok ā€¦ sad face ā€¦

i was trying out 3.3 metal optimizations on a project, and i was seeing render times drop from ~40s to ~25s which ainā€™t bad. its a huge scene though and iā€™m really wishing iā€™d gotten 64 rather than 32 gb ram.

some observations:
-when i downloaded 3.3, i had to reselect the gpu in preferences (even though it was already selected) or it would just use the cpu, but after that the setting seemed to stick.

-first run had a rather lengthy compile, around 5 minutes or so. i had seem some mention of that in the notes so it wasnā€™t entirely unexpected, and it seems to be ok once it gets over that initial hurdle.

-might not be metal, but 3.3 seemed to be rendering alpha differently. what looked ok as ā€˜premultipliedā€™ in 3.2 now has white fringes unless i select ā€˜channel packedā€™ in the texture node.

4 Likes

How much effort do you think itā€™d require to try and convince ephtracy on Apple silicon native versions of MagicaCSG and Voxel? It may not be as large as what he gets from the Windows scene, but I imagine a substantial demand for such is there.

2 Likes

Ram limitations have really been biting me. I have the same regret. And annoyingly, I canceled a 64gb for a 32gbā€¦ but Iā€™m just thinking of it as what to get next time (which Iā€™m waiting until dedicated RT cores or 5yrs, whicheverā€™s sooner).

1 Like

Heā€™s getting a fair amount of macOS requests on Twitter, and every once in a while Iā€™m trying to use my Patreon supporter status to tickle his conscience by kindly reminding him how happy heā€™d make me. :wink:

I also think it would attract more Patreon donators for his development if he would support macOS. Mac owners are usually not reluctant to spend something on their software.

MagicaVoxel was available for macOS for a number of versions, but itā€™s the OpenGL bottleneck that killed macOS version progress. Also, at the moment Ephtracy doesnā€™t have a Mac for development and testing.

2 Likes

Knowing my luck I nearly want to bet as I just build a Pc that the next M SOCs will have RT cores :no_mouth:

1 Like

Haha, same feeling here. But Iā€™m prepared to sell my PC again to make the switch.

1 Like

I can stay a bit on PC it is fine, there are still some feature parity problems in terms of software that I wanted to try / explore a bit.

Ideally I hope RT will only come with M3, perhaps the software situation is better till then.

One example that comes to mind for example, Adobe Sampler is Apple silicon native however the AI bitmap to material is not available on Mac.

Then again other software donā€™t have certain features as Apple has no RT cores.

I guess it is a bit of a chicken / egg problem.

However if only M3 will be 3nm, then I guess we will not see RT before that.

2 Likes

And when that day comes, Iā€™ll be there. $20 in hand.

3 Likes

yeah thats exactly my plan as well. iā€™m curious to see how the recent optimizations translate to the m1 ultra. it didnā€™t seem have particularly impressive gpu performance scaling relative to the m1 max, but hopefully they can open that up more. iā€™ll happily take it a wider gulf with the ultra if it means my next machine seeā€™s even more boost :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I tested it I had not the issue that I did need to reset the GPU but I have been trying 3.3 from time to time.

As for the compile yes it is usually 5-6 min for me too.

I canā€™t say that I checked for the alpha.

Well, my PC stays there.

But if you switched from Nvidia to AMD RX6800 - there is not much better
App compatibility than on Macs :slight_smile:
E.g. Redshift works on my M1 but still will not work on my AMD in GPU mode.
I had crashes with Twinmotionā€™s new features because of AMD GPU, ā€¦

I will wait for the new rumored Mac Pros announcement - and finally buy
an outdated Studio - after Apple reveals the Mac Pro prices :slight_smile:
(or or upgrade my M1 Mini for a M2 Mini in the worst case)

2 Likes

ah ok ā€¦ sad face ā€¦

:cry:

I only just read this. Well, if anyone happens to get MagicaCSG running without the Bootcamp route, Iā€™ll be eager to read it.

Perhaps Crossover from Codeweavers will be an option once version 22 is out. I know they announced DX12 and better Vulkan support, not sure about opengl however.

1 Like

Can this not be done via Amazon servers? They also have M1 macs.

I read somewhere that this way you can develop code and run it on machines online

1 Like