Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

No correct but as a blender add-on, ideally where I can select object and go resample the texture maps for those that would be genius.

Ah. OK. Sorry.

This seems quite interesting, has anyone tested it ?

1 Like

Looks great to me.
(But again,Windows only)

Ooh yes did not check that but using both at the moment with some interesting discoveries.

Exchanging scenes can be tricky with some plugins that work even on both.
I agree it sucks when they only work on one platform however.

I need those M3s now Apple please.

It is harsh when your PC CPU renders faster then your Mac 14 core GPU (about 13 min vs 20 min) and Optix does it in 1:15 :rofl:

Perhaps I will try this, might work and is free.

Some more pretty interesting tidbits about the upcoming Mac Pro. I have no reason to doubt that these seem like fairly realistic expectations. One of the main questions of course is price, but I think it’s pretty safe to say that the entry point will be comparable to the current lineup. The other question of course is expandability, and more specifically – will they support 3rd party add-ons such as AMD GPU’s, 3rd party memory, additional storage, etc.?

My hunch is – no and limited. If Apple is double-backing on squeezing more GPU cores into the SoC, then it’s unlikely that they would allow for 3rd party GPU’s.

So that leaves one remaining question which is – what would an 128-GPU cores M2 compare to? An RTX3080? More? Less? And how will it stack up against the upcoming 40xx line from Nvidia?

A much better solution for me and many others would be to re-enable eGPU through TB4. If this was an option, I would already have bought a Mac Studio by now. Grrrr…how can Apple be simultaneously so enticing and so frustrating?!

2 Likes

Rumour:

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1555053945151975425?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1557182816630480896|twgr^5295e22d049f95b49c89bc11edd1120e72efb0ce|twcon^s2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvideocardz.com%2Fnewz%2Fnvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-gpu-rumored-to-boost-over-2-8-ghz-offering-the-same-compute-power-as-rtx-3090-ti

4090 is rumoured to be double or almost double 3090. But these are generic numbers not necessarily Blender.

Well at the moment my PC frustrates me more I had more crashes in the las 2 weeks then on Mac in 5 years or so.

Not sure yet who I blame, Nvidia or Windows 11.

Not that I could afford a Mac Pro with the prices I expect.

The rumor I find a lot more enticing is the M2 Pro Mini with 20 core GPU or the M2 Max with 40 core but not sure if either will be enough.

How knows is he is leaking info or just guessing

1 Like

What says the event viewer? I don’t think W11 is ready for prodution.

Nvlddmkm, which from my research seems common but hard to pinpoint.

Cleaned the drivers with DDU and edited the registry TDR values.
Ah yes and changed the power settings in the Driver and Windows to high performance.

Did not help so will do another DDU clean and install older Studio Drivers.

I am hoping it is just bad drivers as it feels blender was worse after I updated those :man_shrugging:

If the driver rollback does not work I guess I will install W10, trying to avoid Linux, no offense to those using it :wink:

1 Like

I got mine from the main site. 3.2.2 and have had one crash yesterday in the middle of Donut hell…. :sunglasses:

My nerd pride necessitates I say something snarky here.

2 Likes

that one has been fire for me on Mac. Ooh ok.
Saying perhaps I should try another blender version?

I actually would not mind trying but to lazy to bother :wine_glass: or so to get Affinity Products and other things to works.

You know, the Affinity programs ALMOST work in WINE now. I can actually get Photo to load up, and even drag and drop image files into it from the file browser. If it weren’t so flaky and crash prone, it’d be perfect!

Though in the end, no matter how good things get on the UI and stability fronts, Linux will forever be the Geeky OS. It will always expect you to out into the weeds on some things, and requires you have a high tolerance for the scrub work.

1 Like

Not blender related but I thought this is a good read

The devs of pixelator photo explain why they go subscription and they offer some statistical data.

1 Like

If this is true, it would make the recent release of the M2 laptops really puzzling. I think having both 5nm and 3nm CPU’s under the same name is bound to create user confusion in the marketplace. Sounds like the current M2 CPU is really then just a M1+ type of processor, with the 3nm CPU’s be the true M2 machines?

1 Like

I think it might be fine as most people who buy an Air or the 13” Pro probably wont know or care about 5nm vs 3 nm.

Also think that might be Apples logic or they will use it to differentiate the “real” Pro products :wink:

Personally I was hoping/betting that they would be 3 nm, however if they don’t add rays tracing I will be disappointed.

Also 3nm might give the M2 Pro and Mac another 10 % performance boost which might make them
worth considering :thinking:

So if the M2 Max gains 10% because of 3nm has 40 cores and RT, then I might think about it.

3 Likes

I don’t think Ray Tracing cores are coming.