Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Sorry, really don’t know what you mean by that… Never heard about it :slight_smile: Might you want to say he does not care much about the truth?

He doesn’t keep any promises.

I know :slight_smile: Like all marketing statements I tend not to believe everything to 100%. In the end we all have to wait to get our hands on this machines and check the performance they really can deliver.

so accessing 100gb of textures from a ssd is as fast as accessing them from graphics ram? yes, right. :joy: i didn’t read the article but it sounds like some kind of lossy texture compression to me. or does apple now use something like mram from the future instead of ssds? :slight_smile:

I never stated, that I think accessing 100gb of textures from an SSD would be as fast as from GPU RAM and neither did Jules – and I really don’t want to defend his statements :wink: It’s up to him to prove if his statement is true.

For me the main advantage of Apples SoC is the unified memory, which allows the GPU to access the data from SSD as soon as it is transferred to RAM. There is no need to send it to another RAM for the GPU. And that has some big advantages over the “conventional” methods. That’s all :wink:

What really is possible with this technology time will tell.

all integrated graphics uses unified memory. intel’s and amd’s too. apple claims theirs is faster. the disadvantage is that it has to be included on the cpu package so that’s why there is the 16gb limit. i guess the ps5 and xbox chips are a bit more similar to the m1 than the usual intel and amd apus.

2 Likes

Seems to me that talking Apple/Windows is just as polarized as discussing politics in America right now. One group states some information, the other screams “fake news”

1 Like

You are absolutely right. Everyone should simply use what ever they like. I use macOS, Linux and Windows on daily basis :smiley: So that kind of fights a really not my cup of tea :wink:

2 Likes

Yup…you don’t see carpenters argue about what brand of hammer to use!

…actually on second thought I get the feeling that happens a lot too.

1 Like

I can assure you they do… Once I was a CEO of a building company for several years :smiley: But I never really cared which tools my employees used. They could use whatever hammer/tool brand they liked. The only thing I cared about was that the job was done right and efficiently :wink:

Please explain the support for Optix/Cuda in blender then.

Edit: I know the “just because it’s popular” argument doesn’t apply here.

And I work in a company that completely prefers Microsoft Windows and nothing else. All Macs were shut down. :smiley:

If Blender Institute creates a Mac Blender version based on the MoltenVK, Apple will no longer want anything to do with such a Frankenstein.

Not sure about the Metal vs Molten since we have seen the either, but compared to OpenGL, on Macs at least, I’m assuming it would be quite significant since the current OpenGL version for Mac machines is getting more and more dated since the whole “depreciation” thing.

I think this is the first video interview I’ve seen with a true tech dive into the architecture of the M1.
It’s still not all revealing, but the two Apple VP’s do dive into what “Unified Memory” and other points really mean for the M1 and the developers who will be coding for it.

This posts made my morning - I am laughing so hard - sadly you are right too - in both.

True

but Metal is not just openGL it is also openCL - thats why If I am honest while the Vulcan argument makes sense for performance Metal would be better.

2 Likes

So has there any official word on Blender maybe possibly making the transition to the ARM Macs yet? I’m actually somewhat interested in grabbing a Mac Pro for myself next year, but if Blender ends up being a no show, I might have to forego it.

1 Like

Do you mean Metal would be better, because it could not only be used for the graphics API, but also for other computations?

technically speaking better yes.

yes people would complain about first this being an Apple own software but so is CUDA or Optixs
and second the mac user count for blender is small - true

however the fact is apple does make the hardware and the software.
that is why they made metal - they were simply tired of stuff not being done.

davinci resolve, octane, all those use metal API for UI display but also crunching data.

But I fully agree - it would be nice if Apple would lend BF a hand and help.