Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

That is very true and no.

With the trashcan mac apple tested the form factor but it back fired.
The iMacPro was kinda an evolution from it too but also there the GPU limits quickly were an issue for 3D.

For video people the machines were good.

But then with the current development in video editing and the volume of data formats like 4K and all that generate Apple presented the current MacPro.

I am quite sure with them having announced the full switch to Apple SoC they know that they can reach the need for CPU and GPU rendering at one point and started to release the M1 with the low end devices.

I would not be surprised if the Apple SoC MacPro would be smaller but has expansion slots for a render card, gpu or such.

MacOS does have its own GPU driver for AMD cards.

3 Likes

Although EEVEE performs amazing, its more of a game renderer then a proper photo-realistic renderer, so you lose a lot of visual fidelity. Its fine for most renders but shadows definitely take a hit.

Although they are putting intel out, I doubt the iPad Pro is eating into Wacomā€™s sales. Those two are entirely different price points and feature sets

Possible but with sidecar apple also shows wacom how much they are not needed anymore IF you are on the apple platform.

A lot of my students buy rather an edu ipad than spend the same money on a dumb wacom.

So I think there is actually a market area where Apple does in deed siphon off customers.

Not reallyā€¦ I can barely tell the difference between the Eevee and Cycles versions of those renders. Maybe if you do a crappy Eevee render itā€™s more noticeable.

Reflections are probably the main thing that separates the two renders at this point. If you adjust the light bias correctly, shadows in Eevee are extremely convincing now.
Too many people are posting incredible Eevee renders on social now, that I have an extremely hard time telling.

3 Likes

Wacom need to be hoked to a Pc or Mac for photoshop etc. iPad can be hooked to a power bank and a Bluetooth headset in a park/train/car/ couch/ you name it.
Only in how mobile is that device compared to a graphics tablet with no brain included is already putting not only Wacom out, but others tablets too.

I would like to see the frutarƩ and share the lottery ticket with all but at the moment just an Opinion.

Just imagine blender running in a fully capable iMac 27 or 32 inch/ with full capable brain/ native and supported softwares in a touch screen as the iPad have and in your SIDE, with mobile form the same but in mini version, an IPAD also Capable to move some softwares with a bit limitations of course.
Price range depending on how powerful they are.
That could be a creator dream.

Here is another example. This is an unfinished set for one of my scenesā€¦

The First/Top image is Eevee and the Second/Bottom image is Cycles. I only used 500 sample for cycles, thatā€™s why itā€™s really noisy, but that took me an hour to render, soā€¦
For Eevee I used the SSGI fork.

For the look Iā€™m going for Eevee is definitely what I want out of these shots, and the shows look like theyā€™re very close, even if I use higher samples with Cycles.
Even in the windows refections appear more accurate in this example with Eevee; including the two windows that have been slid open to double up in those ares.

Also the light coming in from the windows out of camera are lightly reflected in the widow near the dinning table in Eevee, and how it would look at this time of day.
In Cycles I think thereā€™s way too much reflection for my taste for the inside vs outside litigating ratio. It could be the light portal messing with the reflection though.

This isnā€™t a great example to compare because the lighting was coming directly from outside through the windows with either an Hdri, areas, portals, or a mix of all. So I couldnā€™t just flip the switch between the two to compare like I would on a more open scene. I did need to make several lighting adjustment before rendering in cycles, and it still isnā€™t the same look; not bad or good, just different.

Something funky is going on with the couchā€™s material which I need to resolve; prior materials looked identical to Cycles.

Eevee:

Cycles:

5 Likes

Well, Iā€™m curious, because the iMac Pro has a desktop-grade chipset, making it on par with desktop-class PCs, while iMacs have a laptop / notebook grade CPU and GPU.

So Iā€™d like to know if there will still be a separate desktop-class iMac, or if the new iMacs will simply have differently priced M1X configurations with less and more power, and a separate iMac Pro is not relevant anymore.

Thanks Tim!

I love the look of both Eevee and Cycles renderings. And as you wrote and showed, Eevee renderings can be impressively close to Cycles results. I really hope the SSGI approach will soon be adopted by the Eevee devs for inclusion in the regular Blender. Then Eevee will probably become my most-used renderer.

Iā€™m curious though: Eevee uses OpenGL if Iā€™m not mistaking, while Cycles used to work with OpenCL on macOS, but not anymore because OpenCL is not updated anymore (correct me if Iā€™m wrong). But OpenGL is also not updated anymore on macOS. So I hope the Metal wrapper for Vulkan will soon be realized, or the dated OpenGL for macOS might also start to cause problems for Eevee in time, like OpenCL did for Cycles.

Anyway, thereā€™s always Octane X to fall back upon if necessary. :slightly_smiling_face:

AFAIK, iMac always had desktop CPUs,
just the GPU were mobile versions.

OK, thanks for the info.

Theyā€™re nearing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I vote for a secret surprise online event tomorrow ā€¦

2 Likes

The iMacPro I wonā€™t come back. People want expandability for the pro area.
That message Apple understood. Hence the new MacPro.

yeah battery life and cost. compare that with a mobile wacom. Now Adobe also pushes out the adobe software for iOS too.

1 Like

You have a tutorial link for that? Iā€™ve been trying to get Eevee to match Cycles more closely, and the only way I can do it is to abuse point lights for falloff, which kills my framerate. Iā€™d love to hear about a more efficient way to light my scenes.

1 Like

If you look into the EEVEE version a little more, theres lots of little differences that really take away from the realism of the scene

Honestly 90% of my time in blender is creating the scene, not rendering, so the difference between eevee and cycles isnt really going to matter if its the last step.

1 Like

Youā€™re actually highlighting the awesomeness of the SSGI branch. :slight_smile:
The reflections on the floor and ceiling are more in line with an older cycles render that I took more time to set up the portals correctly; even more so on the windows frames.

You can see that the floor and ceiling bounces with the SSGI branch more accurately match the Cycles image minus that I had removed a lot of the saturation of the HDRI in the Cycles render, making the bounce more white. If it was the same saturation those floor and ceiling bounces would be yellow too.

Are the object reflections exact? No, thatā€™s one of the thing I agree that reflections across the entire image are better in Cycles.

Honestly none of the renders Eve or Cycles are accurate. this room would look completely different lite only by the sun at sunset :stuck_out_tongue:, but like I said Iā€™m not a lighting expert or an environment designer. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll re-post one more comparison, as to not take the tread off track, of the SSGI on and SSGI OFF along with an older Cycles render at a different angle, and then link to another thread.

Is Eevee, Cycles? No. But like I said itā€™s getting harder to tell, and usually it takes a 3D artist to point out the differences.
And Iā€™ve got to admit in Cycles that where the windows double up from sliding them open, itā€™s looks waaaaay better. :drooling_face:

Eevee SSGI OFF

Eevee SSGI ON

Cycles

2 Likes

No tuts on adjusting the lights, itā€™s mostly just trial and error. I have watched many on other aspects of Eevee though.

Contact shadows are almost always on for me with every light. And the bias is set from .03 to .003 in a lot of cases.
Falloff can be a tricky one and depended on the scene and the objects the lights are hitting. Changing the lights throw distance can help with that. Itā€™s right above the ā€œShadowā€ tab and marked as ā€œCustom Distance.ā€
If you have an Image in mind we can take the conversation to the thread I linked to above, and we can continue there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ah I was going off of the cycles renderer as the accurate one, but if thats the look your going for then its nice!

1 Like

Yeah sorry, that first Cycles render was pretty bad, glad I found the image from my original Cycles file that was set up for that render,