Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

IMO blender is not in use for more MAC users cos the limitations of IOS and what is supported. Stefan help is not known by many people, actually it took me some time to find all info I have now about this new Apple chip and whats capable to consider a purchase. And that Is related to BLENDER USE.
I am sure I am not the only one on the spot.
There is a lot of softwares out there that are paid, but Blender is getting to a level that those other softwares gonna need to bend over Blender. Cos is free and cos is pro artist, and cos is adding impressive updates.
Thatā€™s what I consider important. ATST, plug and play is more in need than ā€œgonna build a PCā€.
Is a lot of work, but is also lot of users waiting right info to become a blender user on an specific platform.
BTW thank you guys for answering, I am very glad I can use your knowledge to understands things

1 Like

Iā€™m curious which parts of Blender donā€™t work yet on M1 Macs. Are you referring to Cycles being restricted to CPU rendering, or is there more? Thanks.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/OTOY/status/1371307600592039944

Isnā€™t that amazing for such a niche product? Even if itā€™s only true for a while?
Big opportunities for Blender :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It has been mentioned that it would be very expensive. Do you think development fund supporters would be happy if a lot of money was spent (continuously) on something that might be an opportunity?

I believe Cycles being constrained to CPU rendering is the only issue when using Blender on a Mac. I also vaguely recall hearing about some random Eevee feature or another that maybe didnā€™t work properly, but itā€™s been awhile since Iā€™ve read about anyone complaining about anything on that front.

2 Likes

Could you explain what do you mean with ā€œvery expensiveā€? $100 per year?

I guess he meant expensive to develop.

You have a post from skw literally a few spins of your mouse above that explains that.

I think he was asking how expensive it is to develop, not what is expensive

I donā€™t mean to develop a Metal Blender version - this is completely unrealistic.
I mean e.g. final Blender 2.93 native M1 version - the same that will be available on blender.org.
People just love to put their finger on the reader and have the app installed from App Store. It is so simple.

1 Like

@skw Why isnā€™t your 2.92 M1 build on the Blender download page?

1 Like

Its unofficial, unsigned, and still has a fair share of Issues. Im not discrediting his work, but it still has while to go before its production ready

1 Like

In that case, I misunderstood your point. I didnā€™t realize that your idea was to ā€œonlyā€ place it in the app store. When I was registered, the fee was indeed 100$ per year.

I am talking about the coming final 2.93 version of course and not test builds.

1 Like

Yes, ā€œonlyā€ place Blender into App Store. It is huge and actually free app promotion and I donā€™t get why BF does not use it.

1 Like

The Mac App Store license is not compatible with the GPL. For the same reason itā€™s highly unlikely that there will be an iPad version.

It is signed, but signed with my free developer account. To ā€œnotariseā€ it and get rid of all the warnings that macOS throws, Iā€™d need a paid developer account.

I believe not all video codecs are there yet. And there are, I am sure, quite a number of bugs that Iā€™m just not aware of right now. I will not proclaim anything as complete and ready until I have thoroughly made sure that it is.

2 Likes

Also saw that some exports canā€™t be saved, donā€™t know if it was cycle or eeve export. Something about that I was reading or saw it in a YT review

ā€œonlyā€ because I know it can easily be problematic. The GPL was already mentioned (though there have been GPL applications in the store), but there have also been restrictions with dynamic code executions in the past (not sure about the current state). They also tend to periodically change things in their approval process which is pretty annoying and time consuming.
You also need to submit it from Apple hardware and jump through a bunch of hoops to do so. That process takes a lot of time.

1 Like

It sucks. Weā€™re doomed.

1 Like