Mac OS X?

I know that Blender is fully compatible with OS X, is there any way of exporting a mac-compatible binary from the game engine? It seems like the built-in exporter only supports Windows .exe files.

I tried http://sites.google.com/site/wwwblender/blendstarter, but it didn’t really work. I ended up with an extremely gimped version of the game (no textures or shading, many objects missing, most of the logic brick programming was gone, no physics, etc). Does anybody have any experience with this, and know how to make it work? :confused:

When you Save Game as Runtime from the mac version of blender it creates a .app

You can’t create binaries for another OS. To make a mac runtime, you have to make it from OSX, same with windows and linux.

Ok, I see that it should be making a .app, not a .exe, my mistake.

However, I get an error when I try it, “unable to make runtime: unable to find runtime”. Any idea what that means?

Actually, that’s not true.

To understand why, you need to understand what happens when you press “Save as Runtime”. In this case, blender only adds the blend file to the end of the blenderplayer (since the blend file isn’t actually “compiled”, it’s not OS specific and therefore can be created on any OS). This also makes it very easy to extract blend files from your standalone games.

However, Gomer’s statement holds true if you compile blender’s source code (C/C++) into assembly (which is OS specific).

You need the Mac version of the blenderplayer. If your using Blender 2.5, you might need to compile it from svn.

Did you pack all your data in the blend file first? Did you update all the blenderplayers in blendstarter? If I remember correctly, the blendstarter uses 2.42a blenderplayers by default (which are outdated).

I’m using Blender 2.49b. How do I go about updating the blenderplayers in blendstarter to 2.49b-compatible ones?

How do I go about updating the blenderplayers in blendstarter to 2.49b-compatible ones?
Normally, you would need to download all the blenderplayers from here. Then you would need to update the Windows, Linux, and Mac folders (found under .blender\scripts\bpydata\game_export…) and replace them with up-to-date blenderplayers.

However to make things simpler, I’ve updated the blendstarter for you. You can download it from here (link).

Oh, I understand now, blenderplayer is distributed with blender. I thought it was a separate download :smiley:

I have it working now, thanks for your help!

Oops. The second link in my post wasn’t working. It should be fixed now (link).

I figured I would add to this thread instead of starting a new one because of this line. I am having a problem in Mac OSX Blender 2.5 alpha2. I do not see a save as runtime anywhere. I could do it in 2.49, but I see nothing under the file menu nor in the “render” panel in 2.5. I have searched everywhere for a solution with no luck. Probably should have checked before making the game proto. Is there a way to do what I’m trying to do now? Thank you!

I figured I would add to this thread instead of starting a new one because of this line. I am having a problem in Mac OSX Blender 2.5 alpha2. I do not see a save as runtime anywhere. I could do it in 2.49, but I see nothing under the file menu nor in the “render” panel in 2.5. I have searched everywhere for a solution with no luck. Probably should have checked before making the game proto. Is there a way to do what I’m trying to do now? Thank you!
Blender 2.5 alpha2 does not have a blenderplayer by default. Plus, I don’t believe the “Save as runtime” feature has been included in 2.5 yet. The only way to make a Mac OSX standalone game in Blender 2.5 would be to use the blendstarter with a 2.5 blenderplayer (which you would need to compile yourself from svn). Unfortunately, I don’t a Mac so I can’t compile it for you. However, you “might” be able to find a 2.5 blenderplayer on Graphicall.org if your lucky.