Mac trackpad input in game engine

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with getting input from my mackbook’s trackpad into the game engine via python. I am trying to get the input for scrolling/zooming. The other inputs like mouse click and movement work fine. Scrolling/zooming also works in the 3D View, but not when i start the game engine. I have also tried the Wheel Up and Wheel Down logic bricks, but they do not register the mac’s trackpad.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried serching the forum and google, but could not find an answer… I will be very grateful if anybody can help me :slight_smile:

Scrolling should work properly, if it’s recognized by the driver rather than the operating system.
But things like pinch and rotate are probably at the operating system level rather than driver level, and blender won’t understand them.

I think edge scrolling works fine in the game engine on my laptop, though I can’t remember when I actually tried it!

Also, it is worth noting that blender does not support multitouch mice/trackpads/touchscreens

ah, it may be the multitouch doing it. But is it not strange that blender can recognize it in 3D View but not in the game engine? maybe because it is recorded as something other than mouse wheel scroll? but what do I know :stuck_out_tongue: probably more like getting the input from something like a gamepad or something… But thanks for your quick answer :slight_smile:

I think it’s fairly normal that blender 3D view can recognize it but not BGE.
Blender 3D can access it because it is a program built on top of the operating system. It relies on the operating system to pass it information about clicks, keyboard presses and so on. It doesn’t know where the mouse is at any given time, nor does it know that the user is using some fancy gesture, it only knows that it’s clicked here, and scrolled this much.

But in BGE, it uses a separate system of interaction. You don’t want your edge flick to bring up a menu from the side of the screen in the middle of the game (if you’re on Windows 8, dragging to the left from the very right of the keyboard brings up a menu), so it could be said it operates slightly below that level. It does access the mouses current position, and scans itself for the button clicks.

ah, i see… thanks for the info :slight_smile: