Mac vs. PC

You’re not up to date, pal.

Apple’s MightyMouse

I’ve already thought about that, and if the price permits, I’ll go for it.

You’re not up to date, pal.

Apple’s MightyMouse[/quote]
Oh well, I’m still more into PC and bananas. Just my cup of tea.

blendermax called me ‘pal’…

Macs are based on BSD Unix, and they actually do support a two- or three-button mouse if you attach one.

I think that they are very fine, well-thought-out machines for video work, although they are not the least expensive. Generally speaking, I think that “Mac right now” is where “Windows 20XX” will eventually be. By embracing the Unix architecture very abruptly but completely, Macintosh positioned itself squarely where it needs to be. All of the fundamental advantages of “a Unix-based platform” are immediately present.

Hardware-wise, you can also be pretty confident that what you’re buying is a high performance system that will give you good color-rendition and so on. These are just basic customer requirements for Apple. And I’m sure that this will continue to be true with the x86 machines.

And, it’s sexy. :slight_smile:

The smartness of Apple’s approach might be borne out most by the upcoming “x86 architecture machines.” Whereas all of Microsoft-land simply cannot run on any architecture other than x86, period, for Apple it will amount to very little more than a cross-compile of their existing source code. Their base platform … BSD … already supports several architectures. Instead of “rendering your existing stuff obsolete,” it wil be an almost invisible change. (And when it happens, Microsoft had better be watching its back, because they simply cannot match it. They could “pull an iPod” on MS’s “no-nopoly” very fast. A nimble, street-smart competitor that is in full control of both its software and its hardware could put the hurt on Redmond really ba-a-a-ad.)

In every large area of life there seems to be a division of two choices to which men create conflicts over. Left verse right, Liberal verse conservative, Mac verse PC, PS2 verse XBox and an entire universe and a half saturated with these parallels. Let us make it easier on ourselves and go back to using the Mark I. Sure it has 2 kb of ram and 3 kb of Memory, but it will render peace to all mankind.

http://www.thegalleryofoldiron.com/MARK1_1.JPG

-Thor

i didn’t real all of the stuff preceding this, but my beef with macs are this:

-WHY the HELL do they need a sepperate “apple key” ? its annoying as hell having to switch back and forth between macs and pcs at my school and needing to do “apple”-C as apposed to ctrl-C. it just doesn’t made a damned bit of sense to me.

-The mouse. one button sucks, you cant scroll down a page without having to move your arm back and forth (from scroll bar back to page).

-no right mouse button? its just more convenient having more that ONE button an a freakin’ mouse.

EDIT: haha, its about time they made a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel. the “touch sensitive top” is fancy and all, but why is it so hard to just make a seperate button? >_> ah well…

its like they went the extra 52 miles just to be different from PCs, its really not that big of a deal to have one extra mouse button to make stuff more convenient, is it? and the extra “apple key” ?

-not able to upgrade internals. yeah, you can buy all that crap already in the monitor/tower thing, but a few years down the road its not going to be of any use. your going to have to get a new one, and be stuch with an old p.o.s. that you cant really use. and what if a component breaks down? eh?

-compatibility: i know it doesn’t bother some people, and a lot of things are already compatable with them, but i like to download on a whim (yes, i am very carefull about viruses and crap). but this does mean that there is a lot less virii and adware.

the few good things that they have going for them though are:
-small
-looks nice
-easy to use

its probably just that im a born and raised windows guy, for some reason macs just pi$$ me off (and everyone at my school will agree). just seems to conformist to me because you dont have much say about the internals or accessories after you get it.

thats my $.02, whether you liked it or not :wink:

EDIT: OnGodsGreen: i agree :slight_smile: , we should go back to a time when you could practically retrace the circuits in a computer by hand, none of this DIMM or whatever crap, there was only one type of RAM, and it was just called “RAM”. :smiley:

Mac vs. PC

This is an argument for fanboys, both can work just as well depending on how much money you spend. PC’s that are equivalent to a Mac will end up being bout the same price.

Although Macs are better for Video Editing, but so can PC’s be for the same price.

Sure mac have Dual proccessers but so do PC’s with the Dual-Core proccesser and well dual procceser mobo.

So it doesn’t really matter except most software is designed for PC’s, but if you are just going to be blending then it doesn’t matter.

Also about interface, well you can get that with windows and Linux, and actual working enviorments such has PS and Blender, they will be exactly the same.

Just a quick random note about macs: after installing the dev tools (on panther) blender built right out of the box. All that was necessary was an ln -s darwin-6.2-powerpc darwin-7.9.0-powerpc in the bf-blender/lib/ directory and a make in the bf-blender/blender directory (and a little bit of ranlibing at the end, but it’s easy to write a little script to do that).

Which means that it’s easy to keep up with the latest cvs builds of blender.

b01c

Old Macs were that way but for things like networking these days, they don’t have much trouble. Software incompatibility is not Apple’s fault, it’s the fault of developers. When you see it done well like in Blender, you know other people are just doing it wrong.

But stores cost money. There used to be Time/Tiny PC stores all over the UK but the company has gone bust thanks to Dell. Do Dell have stores btw? What I find is that it’s 3rd party stores who sell PCs not always the manufacturer and these stores actually sell Macs too. PCWorld does, as well as John Lewis in the UK. There are also Apple stores but much fewer because people don’t buy Macs. Why open more stores if people don’t buy them?

Have you seen the inside of a G5? Apple hardware is not perfect but the internal layout is usually much cleaner than a PC.

The same thing happens if you go into a car dealers. They’re not going to selll you the cheap, reliable car that’s 1/10th the average price they keep hidden round the back are they? That’s why you don’t listen to the advice of salesmen. I buy cheap stuff for my Mac too but sometimes cheap isn’t good. My cheap external firewire hard drive enclosure was broken the first time I got it, so I took it back after 1 week of annoyance and got it replaced. It is now OK but it is large, noisy and still has dodgy power connections. Now the drive that a Mac dealer sold me was a more expensive Lacie drive but it works perfectly.

Open source usually is crap if you look at it as a whole. Out of the thousands of projects available, there are only maybe 10-20 usable products (Linux, Azureus, Blender, Inkscape, GIMP and some IM programs) and they are not all better than their commercial counterparts. But the good thing about Mac is that it combines both open source and commercial software, like the other systems do really.

But you don’t need to. Pre-built Macs are not like PCs that come with all sorts of rubbish 3rd party stuff that needs upgraded. The lowest end G5 is dual 2GHz with 3 PCI-X slots, SATA HD and an NVidia 6600. Most people who are building their own PCs are using those components but at least with paying Apple, you get it well designed and no chance of blowing your components.

Click where to buy what? If you mean Quicktime Pro, then you could say the same about Office trials that get bundled with Windows. Quicktime is the only piece of software on OS X like that and it does the same thing under Windows.

Tough decision. I had to make that choice too and I went for the desktop based on price. The advantage with a laptop is it has a display so you don’t have to pay more for an LCD and you can use a CRT if you like.

They are also good in power cuts and they are portable.

However, they are expensive to repair and more easily damaged. I also think you might be disappointed with the laptop performance after spending so much money on it. It’s capable enough but it’s not worth £1400. The big difference for me is that the G4 has a 133MHz fsb. The G5 has a 1GHz fsb.

When the Intels come out, I think an Intel laptop will hurt the G4 laptop more than an Intel desktop will hurt a G5. But I don’t know because laptops retain their price quite well.

I’m sure they mean desktop publishing. Saying that is like saying Windows is better for gaming. It doesn’t mean performance, it just means there is a larger support base. Some plug-ins and stuff for Photoshop etc. are still Mac-only. My brother is a graphics designer and the company’s design department only use Macs. They just have better support for certain things like printing, pdf etc. It’s more integrated. One example is taking screenshots. You may notice that a lot of ads even for PC desktops have Mac screens. The reaon is because it’s just a key combo and you can capture any part of any application. It’s also easier to use and designers just want to get the job done:

Those are personal preferences, it doesn’t mean to say they are better or worse than PC apps. Apple pretty much owns the compositing and audio industry with Logic, Shake and Final Cut Pro.

Yeah, Macs are for grown ups, PCs are for kids. :wink:

More and more apps on Mac you drag the app off a compressed disk image to install like Blender. The installers that you get, you can open them up and copy the internal bit and do the same. I try to avoid installers to be extra cautious. Uninstall is largely the same, jst drag to trash. The thing I like is that there is no such thing as the registry so it doesn’t need cleaned.

I like the 3rd, 4th and 5th too ;).

Because it’s an extra modifier. We can use ctrl and command so we get twice the key combos. It’s not as if the PC has one or anything:

http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/tips/windows-key.htm

Actually, it’s a 4 button mouse and the reason the made it touch sensitive is because you can make it act like a 1 button mouse if you prefer. Some people (crazy I admit) prefer it that way. The wheel is actually a ball so you can scroll sideways or diagonally too.

I actually find that buying a new machine is cheaper in the long run because you get all new components. People do the same with cars. You do get components for Macs and you can upgrade the internals of the high end Macs even with PC parts. For low end Macs, peripherals are usually all you need. I do wish I could upgrade my graphics card in My Mac Mini but I’m mostly content.

Yeah, it was the same at my school and university. Those people never used Macs and still hated them. People are raised to hate things just like black people or religion without making informed decisions. The same goes for the Mac side btw.

This is just my opinion but mac desktops are very nice - mac notebooks look pretty damn sad. If you want a computer to do nothing but graphic editing you should get something with a nice monitor.

in my country this is not true…

What I find is that it’s 3rd party stores who sell PCs not always the manufacturer and these stores actually sell Macs too.

Apple has for some reason refused to let any company in NZ sell Macs if they also sell PC’s

we have NO computer stores that sell both, (Disclaimer… that i have ever seen or heard of).

Alltaken

Lot of silly things being said in this thread by people who obviously know nothing about macs. It would be nice if people would get their facts correcct before going off on half cocked tirades and spreading misinformation as if they are experts. In reality they are just showing their own disregard for accuracy and the truth. Then again the truth wouldnt be so conducive to the health of their prejeduices.

Regards,
Xarf

would be nice if you quoted these mistruths instead of just starting another flamewar zarf.

you have been known in the past to argue the man not the statement, this is another example.

yeah i agree some people are getting facts wrong but you don’t need to resort to attacking them.

Alltaken

have you seen the length of the mighty mouse? its like six inches long, its pathetic. ( and yeah i know the mouses hook to the keyboard but still…)
Whoever thought of two buttons is a genius.

:stuck_out_tongue:

and man, that itard is awesome :smiley:

Microsoft Vista is coming around, looks like its catching up the the Mac OSx
well looks better obviously.

The mac population is still falling…

Damn, I thought I was being reserved this time by not going off on a long winded rant about how ‘everyones got it wrong’. I couldn’t have been anymore brief unless I had said ‘Dont say shit thats not true’. Regardless I am now being attacked for not wasting my time and everyone elses by writing another one of my famous 8 paragraph long bitch fests.

I tell you what, why dont you write down exactly how you think I should behave on a peice of paper. Make 2 columns, one labeled ‘Do’s’ and ‘Don’ts’. Draw a smiley face over the ‘Do’s’ column and a frowny face over the ‘Don’ts’ column, this way I wont get confused. Then when I inevitably fail to follow these simple instructions you can swat me on the nose with a rolled up 2.3 guide, mmmkay?

Back in reality where I dont really give a crap, anyone similarly interested in the truth could simlply read the thread and compare the crap being spread around about various platforms with anything resembling reality. I’m not into spoon feeding people today.

Awww cupcake, I’m sure gosh sorry you feel this way, would you like to cuddle while daddy makes it all right?

Wait, does anyone see how funny it is that I tried NOT to attack anyone specifically and I’m getting slammed personally for that?

People named ‘Alltaken’ sure are funny, I like funny people.

Cheers,
Xarf

Zarf is more of a question like this.

Did you first post “add” anything to the thread. from reading it i know it was very reserved, but it still added nothing to the thread, it didn’t highlight anything that was wrong about peoples statements, it didn’t inform anyone of who was spreading mistruths.

infact it put information into doubt from people who might know their stuff about macs, as you just blanket insulted anyone.

its not really about what you were trying to say, but the fact that how it was said seems to me to be a bit pointless.

Alltaken

guys calm down… :smiley:

It is all about personal preferences… What good for one is not necessery good for the other, no mather how highly priced (not in term of many :smiley: ) or technical superior it is.

Personaly I can work on both, and as OS I prefer Linux but it is only bacause I am purist and more familier with it.

Whould I recomend it for evryone? No absolutly not! Cause not everybody would be happy with it, especially the people who have allready experience with a OS but are not interested in the technical side of computers and dont have time or willing to learn something new or are happy enough with the knowlidge/OS they allready have/use.

And for this tread…
Every OS/hardware can be a pain in ass if you are not used to it and you have not the time or experienced help at hand, to get used to it.

That’s what your boyfriend said before he met me :P. No wait :-?.

I agree that they make pretty short mouse cables. It’s especially bad for laptops if they have usb ports on the left. I think the cable on mighty mouse is 24 inches long but it could be longer. I actually often find my Microsoft mouse gets tangled an awful lot but mostly I find having a longer cable is better :).

Replace ‘catching up’ with ‘blatantly ripping off’ and you’re there:

http://applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/stop_me_if_youve_heard_this_one_before1/

I know. Where did Alltaken get that sniper rifle anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, it might not be true. It’s hard to judge statistics like that:

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macsimum_musings_the_fuss_about_marketshare/

well threads like this seem to turn up on every forum I’m a member of. Same arguments and misinformation put about by both sides. with the odd person having the sense to accept that both systems have strenghts and weaknesses and neither is a great as the stalwarts of their particular side would make them out to be. Personally I choose PC’s. Partly cos thats what I use for my work so it makes sense to have the same systems at home as I’m freelance and partly becuase of price. I’ve considered getting a mac just to try it out and such, to see whats good and bad about them. The trouble is from my point of view I want a decent one otherwise it’s not a fair test and a decent one cost so damn much compared to a PC. Thats my only gripe really and with the advent of Intel MACs the excuse for the overpricing will be totally gone. so will they drop the prices ? if they do they may get at least one extra customer here.

what are you talking about, i have no issues with OSX, i just don’t like OSX fanboys, :stuck_out_tongue: they give the OS a bad rep.

Alltaken