Macs

What are macs capabilities compared to microsoft, such as compatibility and being upgradable? I’ve been thinking about getting a new computer and with the new os, leopard, it seems like it would be a much better choice than microsoft.

Well, I have an Intel iMac at the moment, which I’m just about to upgrade to Mac OS X Leopard, as it looks awesome. I love Macs, and so does everyone else I know who uses one. Macs are easy to upgrade the RAM, but when you buy the Mac, if you buy online at the Apple store, you can click customise, and set up how much Memory, RAM, stuff like that you want, or what type of graphics card.

I think you’re on the right track, and I definitely wouldn’t choose anything else.

Good luck
Cuby

well before i start this i want to warn you that im not saying this to bash on macs or anything like that im stating what i have observed and that is that if you are going to buy a mac expect to pay a lot of money for the initial computer and then a lot of money for any hardware because as i have observed macs and mac hardware is outrageously overpriced and if you plan on playing games macs are no go but as for design purposes and other such aplications there is no doubt that stock a mac is the best but for windows you can buy most of the same programs so in all reality it just depends on what you want your computer to do

Macs are good, even if they cost more. The cost comes from the extra effort Apple puts into quality testing and ensuring hardware compatibility so your system doesn’t screw up quite as much. Past that, the OS is significantly more stable than Windows, and much more efficient with your resources (although not as efficient as Linux).

On upgrading ram/other things, I would advise you not to do so through Apple (except for things like the processor which if I remember correctly are actually soldered to your motherboard, so you can’t upgrade them, not sure about graphics card here), just go through Newegg or somewhere else to buy Ram and install it yourself. Its not that hard. I’m not sure about hard drive upgrades. I think they may be a little more involved, but not terribly so.

The whole thing about not being able to play games is no longer true either, since mac has the ability for bootcamp, you can dual boot to windows (assuming you go intel), and past that there are some really good paralleling software and even Wine can run on OSX (since it is based on BSD, you just have to jump through some hurdles to get it though). I suppose it still isn’t native, and no native support for DirectX either, so there is still some merit to the no Mac games argument. Most general software worth its name will have Mac versions available including that from Adobe, Autodesk, etc. and most Open Source things have Mac versions as well (even if you have to compile it, its not that hard with Xcode).

Mac is good for design as well because it is stable (it has some trouble with Blender Sculpt Mode though, not sure if this was fixed through Leopard or not). And if you wanted you could dual/triple boot to linux as well with very little hassle.

Overall, I went to Mac to avoid Vista, and I’ve never been happier. I don’t really miss Windows at all, especially hearing all the people with Vista I know complain about it.

My keyboard glows when its dark. This is the type of stuff Apple does.

Apple has a video on their site that outlines all the new features of 10.5 - definitely worth checking out.

Macs in general are more expensive, I just bout one about 8 hours ago and it set me back $2700.00. As steep as that sounds, they are very nice machines. Expect a cost difference from 10% on the low end to about 25% more than a PC of equivalent hardware.

Added:
Out of box you can do more with a Mac than your typical PC. I was able to run wxPython demos that were on the machine with out adding a thing - And Xcode is awesome.

Blender - make sure you pick up a mouse with your Mac if you get one of their laptops.

My notebook’s keyboard glows in the dark from the light that comes from my notebook’s screen. This is the type of stuff Microsoft does.

Sry, couldn’t help it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have used Macs quite little, but I prefer them over Windows. Mostly because its a UNIX-like system, which means it’s more efficient and all that.

My problem with Mac is that it’s too expensive. I’ll probably get one eventually, since it’s better for most things, but for now, I’ll stay with Ubuntu on my good ol’ PC.

Right now, I’m seeing Macs as a great alternative to Windows, as its been around for a while and has better support than Linux as far as software goes. However, I don’t use Macs because I have Linux, which meets all my needs without the expensive hardware. And, as was also already said, many programs that are on the Mac are also available for the PC, so if you go the Linux/Windows dual-boot way, you can have stability for the majority of tasks, and compromise a bit of stability for games/win-only apps.

As someone who owns both PCs and Macs (and does have/has had a number of other computer architectures)… Mac OS X is great, but the Mac hardware is below average in terms of price/performance. It´s above average in terms of style, but the commodity PC hardware is a much better deal overall, I think, given the competition in that arena. As someone else said, if you´re going to buy a Mac PC, you should expect to pay through the nose for it. Also… I´m no windows fan (at all), but bear in mind that on ANY other platform, you´re going to experience being a minority. Sometimes it´s fun, being part of a subculture. Other times, you really can feel ostracised for choosing better products.

Personally, I run Linux (with KDE, not GNOME!) on both my macs and my PCs. I´m a Debian person, but I´d recommend Kubuntu for Linux beginners. I find it a much better platform than either windows OR OS X, but then I prefer free software like Blender over other options.

Hahaha, I liked that one.

If you’re going to be doing hardcore 3D I think that Mac desktops are definitely not worthwhile.

They are meant to be quiet, stylish easy to use machines and they rarely have the raw power required. The only model that does is a Xeon workstation with server chips and that’s not ideal as you can buy much cheaper PC hardware for grunt work like gaming and rendering.

I think Mr Rage’s setup is pretty ideal. A Mac laptop and a Core 2 Quad PC with 8800GTX. This way you get a good cheap gaming box and render node and a stable, easy to use mobile platform. If you don’t need a laptop, I’d probably go with a quad PC alone.

Apple seems to be moving more and more towards mobile computing throughout their lineup and it makes sense in a way for future growth. Laptops are going quad core in February or something so most consumers don’t even need a desktop any more.

As for additional “Mac hardware” being more expensive, that’s largely no longer the case. It certainly was the case when Mac ports were different to PC ports but since USB most general hardware just plugs into a Mac.

My Mac is now over 4 years old running an OS that was outdated over a year ago (10.3.9 Panther)…

I bought a cheap Wacom tablet, plugged it in and it worked. I downloaded the latest driver and it worked even better, with full access to Wacom preferences.

Cheap Canon printer and cheap Canon scanner: plugged them in (USB), installed the drivers and everything’s fine.

I bought a Microsoft USB headphone/microphone set, plugged it in, set one system preference and it worked. No drivers or installs of any kind.

I’ve used a 3-button MS USB mouse - no drivers, just plug and play.

Cheap ADSL Modem/Router - plugged it in (Ethernet), entered my ISP specs and it worked. No drivers or other software.

Card readers, external hard-drives, thumb drives, MP3 players - just plug them in and use them. iPod even better, for obvious reasons.

At work we have cheap LCD monitors running on two Macs. Plug and play.

I can’t comment on 3D grunt though.

From a hardware standpoint, for the price of a good mac, you can build a pc with a quad core processor and a considerably more powerful graphics card. You can also upgrade said processor and graphics card yourself later. Ram is also cheaper for a pc.

From a software standpoint, OSX is a superior operating system compared to Microsoft’s offerings. When it comes to compatibility, things will ‘just work’. Which is not necessarily the case with Linux, however, Linux is getting there.

I would say there are 3 things to consider.

1. Your budget. If you can easily afford a good mac, then you may as well go for a mac. Their desktops have great quality screens too.
  2. Your needs. If you like to play lots of games or use software that will only run on Windows, then you may need to stick with Windows for the time being.
  3. Whether you may have the time or the ability to build a machine and put an operating system like Ubuntu on it. Again, depending on your needs, there is a good chance that a Linux based OS such as Ubuntu will ‘just work’ and do everything you need it to. You may have to deal with one or two issues, but if you choose your hardware well, then you should have no problems. Generally, you will even have a better chance of running games or other Windows apps on Linux than you will on OSX, using the compatibility layer called WINE. As far as I know, WINE is not available for OSX. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone.

One option would be to try some linux distributions on a machine that you already have using a LiveCD, and see what you think of it. If it’s too much for you, then you can rule it out.

I guess macs can go either way. I know some people who have used windows all their life that “converted” and love macs, but other people like me who hate macs (not out of ignorance - I have used macs at school for years).

As far as Dan was talking about, using Ubuntu, I would recommend it. Ubuntu has “just worked” for me. The only problems I have had are using a science app called Graphical Analysis (for displaying lab data), and getting my US-122 to function as a microphone in audacity (it takes multiple microphone or 1/4 jack inputs, and then converts all t usb). Luckily, I still have XP, so I can reboot every time I really need these features (once or twice per month).

You get WINE for OS X:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

but Crossover (based on WINE) is easier to configure. I wouldn’t use either as they aren’t nearly as compatible as virtualization software like Parallels or VMWare and I’ve found Wine etc. to be a bit slow to launch software.

I find dual booting best and the burden of rebooting helps diminish the dependence on Windows. When I first got Windows, I booted into it every couple of days to play some game or other. I haven’t booted it for months now.

i like the fact that the author hasn’t responded once to the topic and well here is a link that i think will explain perfectly to you what you should get either that or it will piss you off incredibly to the point of never talking to me again

For design/graphics/media macs are superior.

for games, get windows.

as for upgrading, the new mac pros are a lot more customizable then the towers used to be, but yeah, mac = pricey.

it really comes down to which OS you like more though, in my
opinion, as both macs and PCs are prety much on-par now with hardware.

just my 2cents.

Well, I haven’t responded because I haven’t been home… simply as that. But thanks for the advice everybody. It helps alot. By the way that website is halarious. I’m the kinda’ person that laughs at people like that. I was just wondering which might be better. I’ve tried linux and I like it but it’s not what i’m looking for unless I’m mistaken. I want something with a fairly large amount power. I’m a gammer, which include alot of microsoft only games… leider… I’ve tried WINE with no sucess, and it wouldn’t matter with high power games, and I often use blender but microsoft has it’s limitations with that too…

Since you’re a gamer, seems like an easy answer. You’ll need Windows for now. Go for XP unless you really want DX10.

You can always dual boot and run linux as well.

Well now that I know, is vista useable now or will it ever be useable to the point xp is.

Not for a while. And a long time. XP has much more support as of now than Vista, and Vista is fairly new, so developers are still getting used to it.

Maybe when there’s a Vista Service Pack 2. For now, stick with XP.