Hi, derivated from the setup using dependencies that I built some time ago for long trucks with trailers, I have created this setup that I call “Magic Ropes”.
Download the blend file below (for Blender 2.49b).
This setup allows to create all kind of ropes, garlands and chains, including cartridges chains for machine guns or whatever you can imagine.
Just select Layers from 1 to 6 and play with the Empty attached to the tip of the rope/chain.
No curve used, no IK chain, no bone. All the trick is in a very simple tracking constraint repeated for each segment :
1- A segment is parented to an empty.
2- An empty is parented to the segment.
3- The segment is tracking the empty parented to it.
4 - The following segment is parented to the previous last empty… and so on.
Nothing more, repeated as many times you need it !
The ropes and chains are on layer 1,2,3,4,5,6 and their empties are on layers 11,12,13,14,15,16.
- Only one Empty is required to move the tip of the rope.
- You can animate a snake really easilly !
- You can move the rope in any of the 3 directions.
- You can cut the rope by selecting and moving any part of it,
and if you want it to be free, just unparent the first empty
from the previous objects in the chain.
- You can pull objects with the ropes and chains : on Layer 6,
the chain pulls a cannon ball.
- You can attach your rope to an arrow, and an archer will be
able to throw it.
- Almost infinite effects can be achieved by scaling the Empty
along various directions. You can shorten or increase the length
of the rope and get all kind of other effects.
- You can also edit the first segment of the rope and modify the
whole rope in a breeze.
- Try to make a knot !
The current rope is made of segments, like a chain. But it is possible
to create a slave object (made of one unique mesh)and animate it by
using the empties as hooks. It requires more efforts,but allows very interesting
effects. One of them : animate and render a long plane supporting an UV texture used
to create animated waves trails for boats, following smoothly the curves of the trajectory. This texture with displacement mapping will allow to achieve great effects without fluid simulation.
The blend file is here :
Have fun !