Make Renders look like early CGI in blender?

How can I make my renders look like
early CGI like toy story, or tin toy, etc.
like lambert shading??
perfectly in real-time in eevee if possible
I can get a fairly good result by changing the film
to none and adjusting the contrast

I heard the Toy Story models made with NURBS
I think you may be right about the Filmic transform
Would maybe not use EEVEE because it was all about raytracing
(disable advanced features of cycles?)
One main light source seems like
Materials seem to have specular

is there any way to bring blenders default render or a
lambert shader??

The internal renderer and Lambert shader were last seen in 2.79.

The first link is down :confused:

I guess you can do it with eevee.Just use simple “plastic materials”.The key is the lighting to get the final look.

here you should find every information you need at Pixar

I’ve had fairly successful tests in Blender Internal render, from 2.79. Phong, Cook-Torr, and Lambert shading are all good options.

How about POVray? It is a classic raytracer with radiosity and stuff. Definitely oozes that early CGI feeling.

You may try that : https://blendernpr.org/beer/
I’m not quite sure but maybe you can do simple phong shader.

Or , use Eevee without HDRI and screenspace reflections,

Indeed these old school renders aren’t that straightfoward to get nowadays :smiley:

disable bounce lights in cycles, use a 2nd sun pointing the other direction and without shadows to fake bounce lights

1 Like

Agree eevee is probably the better way to go. Early CGI lacked nearly all, if not completely lacked global illumination, which eevee has a leg up there since (AFAIK) there is no built in GI. As @thinsoldier suggested, use another sun going the other direction. The way this was done once upon a time ago was actually not with a sun but they used a constant light or a directional light which evenly emits light from one direction and had an umbra, penumbra, strength, and color setting. by increasing the umbra and penumbra drastically and using a low strength in the complementary color to your key light you could simulate GI pretty well. This kind of light is very similar to the sun lamp, but the umbra and penumbra features have been replaced with light angle, which follows the PBR standard a little more closely. The other thing is use of the specularity slider. In PBR rendering the correct value for this is typically generated using a short equation, or in most cases can be left at 0.5 and close enough is close enough for most applicaitons, but back in the old days, making something glossy did zilch for it’s specularity, and there was a somewhat arbitrary element to the meaning of the specularity slider. Back in the early 90s, specularity could sometimes have a size value, a roughness value, and an intensity value, which were independant of those relating to glossyness or how intense the reflections were of the glossyness which could be worked in more like a mix node. (woh, ok, thats a lot)

Long story short, With your materials, spend more time on the specular value than the glossy and roughness value, and that will get you really close. Then, fake your GI with a little bit of blue on a sun lamp which you can constrain or parent in the inverse direction to your main sun lamp. Then as you move your sun, you will have ambient light coming from the other side. There is actually a more industry standard setup for this kind of light rig that involved 3 or 5 lights for the GI that would get you even closer to the look you are going for, but that would be another paragraph and a half trying to explain and I don’t think it is relaly relevant given how far we have come with all this anyway and the fact that there are just certain things you will not be able to control in cycles or eevee that lead to that look.

As for your color grading… I think you are on the right track. Color grading method will just depend on your results so it would be easier to answer that question once we see your raw results so we can tinker with it.