Make the Viewport bright without using any lamp during Blender Render except AO

Hi, I’m new to blenderartists then I don’t know where is the exact forum.
My aim is to not using any lamp except the Ambient Occlusion (in Blender Render Engine), but when I do it then everything in Material Viewport Shading becomes dark, so I tried to use a Point Lamp that is disabled during render because I want that the Viewport becomes bright, but when I disabled it during render then it’s disabled in the viewport too.
I think that it’s a limitation of Blender because it’s important to me and the most of my scenes are without any lamp except the AO and I frequently have that problem with Blender Render.

Here is a screenshot (click on the image to see it full size).

Does anyone know an idea how to make the Viewport bright without using any lamp during render (Blender Render) except the Ambient Occlusion?

Here is my .blend file:
AO_only.blend (77.5 KB)

This is the render result I want to have without using any lamp in render except the Ambient Occlusion, but I want that the lamp is enabled in viewport only:

Material Viewport Shading was introduced with the idea to obtain a display in Viewport close to a blender render for BGE.
Material Viewport Shading is final render for a game made with Blender Game Engine.
So when you disable a lamp for render for this display, viewport is black. And when you do it for viewport, lamp is hidden but it is still illuminating the scene.

In other words, what you want to do is not possible.
In 2.8, EEVEE will correspond to a kind of WYSIWYG workflow. What you will see in Viewport will be what will be rendered.

But you have to wait and adopt another workflow in 2.79.

You can just build your scene in solid mode and do quick checks with Rendered Viewport display.
You can give up to use AO using an Add blend mode and instead use an Hemi Lamp (no shadow, so all scene is bright) with AO using Multiply mode to continue to use Material Shading display.
In both kind of display (Solid or Material), you can enable an AO overlay in viewport. It is different from rendered AO but it can helps to improve your scene look.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/3dview/properties/shading.html#shading-panel

Or you can bake render into maps, and then, use shadeless materials using these maps to obtain same result in render and viewport.
This way , almost any kind of look obtained by a render can be displayed in Viewport.
The converse is also possible.
If you are satisfied by what you see in viewport ; you may obtain a render with same look by using OpenGL render.

In 2.8, EEVEE will correspond to a kind of WYSIWYG workflow. What you will see in Viewport will be what will be rendered.

Thank you for the reply, Blender 2.8 is not yet released, I tried it a couple months ago but there still was some bugs.

You can just build your scene in solid mode and do quick checks with Rendered Viewport display.

I want to use Material Viewport Shading to animate my scene by displaying some movie textures (Movie), that’s the reason I need the Material Viewport Shading because checking if the animation is correct, but the solid view doesn’t show the textures.
Half solution: Maybe sometimes I can use Texture Viewport Shading (which is bright without problem) to show the texture but Material Viewport Shading is more beautiful, and it supports advanced materials such as Node Editor.

You can give up to use AO using an Add blend mode and instead use an Hemi Lamp (no shadow, so all scene is bright) with AO using Multiply mode to continue to use Material Shading display.

This image is what you mean:

The top is AO only which is … … I can’t say it … it’s realistic … but the bottom is method for games, right!

Or you can bake render into maps, and then, use shadeless materials using these maps to obtain same result in render and viewport.

UV Mapping is sometimes difficult because of the seams.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Lighting and Rendering”

Not for baking. The only UV requirement for baking is that the UV islands don’t overlap. Automatic unwrap methods can be used, and Texture Atlas addon could be used to consolidate UV’s from multiple objects to one image:

Since you’re new, a bit of feedback about posting:

Using images to help explain and especially including a .blend file is very good. Most don’t know to do the latter.

What isn’t good is highlighting everything and adding text in images. You’re wasting your time doing that and annoying everyone else. Only highlight things that aren’t obvious in the image and important to your explanation.

When you explain something and use an image to help you do it, the ones who view your post are required to have the gift of eyesight and be able to read, and they’re required to know something about Blender you don’t when they provide suggestions or answers. So don’t assume they’re idiots. When you include full interface screenshot that has everything you want to show and explain the issue without annotating. people know what to look for, and also get the information you don’t write, such as the Blender version you’re using. The included .blend contains the rest.

Same goes for text. If you have to use highlight methods, that means you’re not doing good enough job in describing or explaining things. Uppercased normal words, underlining, repeated parenthesis, none of those makes it any clearer, just harder to read. People understand words and if they’re not enough to make it clear, use images to provide context.