Make your video game without spending any money

Hey guys, for those of you who want to make a great video game, but don’t have money for expensive software, I wrote this little article to help you out. Check it out, give it a thumbs up, and let me know what you think!
Thanks! :eyebrowlift:

what article?

No article linked therefore game creation actually cost some decent money. Is that your message, OP?

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn’t link the article correctly. Fixed now!

You skippex over the blender game engine,

If you are going for unity, you will have to pay to get good resources, that are free to the bge.

The bge is not directly marketable as you have to either
1.serve via burster online
2.use steam
3.use a free to play model(advertisment and server required)

Or make it free.

However the bge is amazingly powerfull, like a piece of raw iron you can shape it into almost any game type, some of its biggest drawbacks are slated for destruction, and more bugs have been killed in the last month then he last year before (not an actual statistic)

The bge has Bullet physics
Python script
Logic
A amazing community…

I made a snowboarding “shell” in 22 minutes last night, that could be made into a full game engine in less then a day…

Game is mit 3.0 cc

Attachments

BgeSnowboard (Rev3).blend (1.64 MB)

Free snowboarding template
:smiley:

Short article, but not much I can argue about in it. I especially appreciate the message that I think needs to be burned into every would-be indie game developers brain - give up the MMO dreams and start small. There is a reason why Blizzard, CCP, etc haire so many people - it takes that many to make something worthwhile and, it’s it’s not worthwhile, it’s going to sink like a rock when you launch.

Personally, I’d like to see a more in-depth article on the pros/cons of using certain software and game genres to look into, but that’s not a fault of your piece - just a personal desire :slight_smile:

Yeah, I skipped over the BGE. Why? Because I would not recommend it to anyone. It is one of the worst game engines there are. The BGE has very few features, there is a lot it cannot do. And there are more free assets for Unity than there are for BGE. Also just in the latest release of Unity over 450 bugs were killed.

Quick comparison of the two amazing communities:

BlenderArtists members: 197,348
Unity3D members: 531,506

so there are many free programs to create everything.
but you must know the working is the big cost, not the tools…

This is not true. BGE is good. Oh, you are a big amateur, I see.
And Blender is one of the words 3d app!
Hail to the amateurs!

+1

When I was learning to code I started in Blender, it was very difficult to find information. Once I switched to Unity I was able to get a game up and prototyped very quickly. LINK"not optimized"

The biggest difference between the way Blender and Unity offer code support is that the Unity API offers example code were as the Blender API often does not even give a meaningful description :frowning:

You hit the nail on the head! The BGE has its uses, but you’d hate yourself if you tried to use it in a real project. Sure there are lots of workarounds for a lot of BGE’s issues, but i assure you it’s not worth the effort when there’s an alternative.

@McHammond, yeah… Blender’s API is a lot of work.
When working with unity, i find that most questions i have are answered in the bundled manual. Not to mention the great examples, tutorials and tips that are included.

Also, the asset management in unity and the way assets are highly reusable is a dream in blender.

Ok, assets ib the bge are as portable as you code them,

Second off,
If you ask about anything in the BGE forum, people will help you, do impossible things for free.

@Blueprintrandom
I was talking about reusability of assets… you know, prefabs, animations, components, scripts, etc.

secondly, i hate to ask for help unless i absolutely have to. Isn’t that the whole point of good documentation? with unity, i still haven’t found any reason to ask for help… and i’ve come a really long way in my project.
and just to be clear, i’m not comparing the forums… just the documentation

I actually learned to code on these forums, (python) so I am a little biased, but from asking real people, you find there are many solutions, and methods , and you get links, and even assets.

I have been paid to code for the bge, I believe this will only be rare
until after a few crucial upgrades many more will be using the bge,

1. Render Batching(My team is paying for this with indeegogo money)

2.The new collision callbacks.thanks all involved(agoose?)

3.Bug fixes (thank you Moguri and the Blender Foundation)

4.more documentation,

and a few other minor patches.(tighter bullet integration wrapper) and particles?

I have many assets that are in the resource section for free, and add to them all the time.

Next up is getting wrectified done (all assets are Mit 3.0) and gathering ad revenue for the bge,

I have TorqueTrackTo and ForceMoveTo in the resource forum under lockstep,

TorqueTrackTo-applies torque to align an item to a orientation
ForceMoveTo -applies force to move an item to a target
ForceLean-apply torque or force with the mouse
Jackii’s rig- Rigdoll physical walking game actor

@esalberg - Hey. I’d like to give my opinion on your article.

To me, it’s not super well written, as you don’t provide facts for a lot of your information. It feels like you’re skipping a lot of information, and what information is there seems bias in one direction, like “Hey, Unity’s good for 3D games! You can find information about it around places. Okay, see ya!”

Why should I go with Unity, or Godot? What’s the advantages of either one? Godot is in Beta currently, so documentation is a bit scarce, and the community’s small - isn’t that something worth mentioning? Also, certain features might be missing, and might have to be worked around via code until an appropriate in-engine solution is crafted. On the other hand, even in its current state, Godot’s feature set might still be larger than Unity Free’s (the BGE’s is, I think) - isn’t that something worth mentioning? Not trying to be rude, but it seems like the article is bias toward someone who already uses Unity and knows and likes it already.

Your arguments here also aren’t very convincing. For example:

“It is one of the worst game engines there are. The BGE has very few features, there is a lot it cannot do.”

I’m a BGE user, so I’m well-aware of its flaws. I know it’s missing built-in particles and point-light shadows. Even still, it can do a lot that Unity Free can’t, like occlusion culling, LOD, code-based pre-made audio filtering, realtime spot and soft shadows, render-to-texture effects, and post-processing. Not saying the BGE’s perfect or doesn’t have issues, but it does a lot that Unity Free doesn’t offer. Someone’s also working on static batching for the BGE, which will be nice if it gets reviewed and committed.

"The Unity community is much larger. "

Even though the entirety of Blender’s forums aren’t as large as Unity’s, that’s no reason not to go with Blender. That’s not a valid reason not to go with Godot or any other smaller engine, either. If you ask a question on the BGE forums or Godot’s forums, you’ll get an answer sooner or later (very much “sooner” in BA’s GE section). So the size doesn’t matter; the quality of the community does. However, the community size or quality isn’t mentioned in your article.

There are other engines besides Unity, Blender, and Godot as well. JME3 is an open-source Java-based game engine, and Panda3D is an option as well. You could also go with 2D engines if you want to make something small and simpler, like Enigma (an open-source Game Maker clone), Lua and Love2D, Haxe and HaxePunk or HaxeFlixel, or Python and PyGame. Of course, this is posted in the Blender forums, so I’d figure it’s focused toward 3D games.

If you wanted to fudge it a bit, UDK and CryEngine are pretty cheap on a month-to-month basis now. UDK even allows you to subscribe for a single month to get the engine, and then cancel and continue to use it without updates; that’s only around $15. While not free, that’s certainly a low-cost solution.

Anyway, the article kinda feels like a general “guide”. If you use Unity and like it, that’s cool, but then you probably should write a Unity-specific article stating why you like it, what its advantages are, and how to use it, perhaps linking to specifically where people can find quality Unity tutorials or docs. If you want it to be more general, I think it might be nice to do some more research on the options and present them objectively.

Not trying to be rude, again.

@MCHammond - Your link is to your C drive.

Regarding the BGE, Moguri has actually been fixing bugs at the fastest rate in a while due to his part time contract with the foundation. There will be even more fixed once the GSoC student gets up to speed.

He fixed a number of bugs related to important functions such as LOD, libLoad/libNew, and animation. This is also along with extensive cleanup of the BGE codebase (to make it more friendly to new developers), and a major animation optimization which gives a massive FPS boost for large numbers of armatures.

So the BGE is seeing development, even though it’s at a slower pace than some other engines.

BGE will see development so long as there are people willing to work on it and so long as it doesn’t clash with the Blender Foundation’s vision for Blender. However, getting some development and getting enough to make it competitive compared to other game engine options are two very different things.

It is my understanding that, whilst getting fixes and whatnot, the plan is still for the BGE to become more of a “realtime view into Blender scenes” as opposed to a “game engine” as such. I’ll confess that I haven’t been following that side of things for a little while, but I distinctly recall there being commentary about the repurposing of the BGE coming from Ton prior to Gooseberry and there being a bit of backlash about it on the forums here. Has this changed or is it being quietly ignored at the moment?

FWIW, if you’re looking for power in a game engine you can get for free and are comparing only Unity Free & BGE - I personally think it’s a wash right up until you are looking to sell the game. Unity Free has things BGE cannot do (or cannot do reasonably well) as does BGE over Unity Free. However, when it comes to commercial licensing & distribution - Unity has a well-worn (and documented) path to get your there and beats BGE hands down in that regard. There are numerous threads about the issue (and expect Endi/abc123 to turn up trolling in almost all of them), so I won’t rehash old arguments. Fair or not, GPL is a hindrance to code being sold through many publishing outlets, and BGE is GPL. shrug

Also, I think limiting the debate to BGE & Unity (free or otherwise) is a disservice to indie developers at large. There is a wide range of free engines one can choose from (with varying levels of completion, documentation, and track record) and many of them would suit people far better than either BGE or Unity could.

On this, the GPL actually works for the BGE because it attracts developers who actually want to add major pieces of functionality to the engine itself rather than creating a commercial branch for all of their ideas.

The very nature of permissive licenses means that it becomes almost impossible for a good quality FOSS game engine to come to fruition, the branching off into a commercial product for big ideas has already happened at least once before for the GameKit project and will likely work to prevent massive development of any other engine if it does not have the GPL tag, simply because of a mix of human nature and the way development works. The BGE at least has an alternative player available from someone in the community which locks the GPL’ed .blend file in a box so no one can take your work if you sell it.

Also for Unity Free, I’ve heard that Unity makes the ‘90% of the time for the final 10% percent of the game’ especially pronounced (and that you need to do a lot of work and a few hundred dollars worth of addons to make it not look like the 90% percent of other Unity projects that use the same code for everything from walking to the GUI). Of course, there’s a lot of good games made with Unity as well, just like there is with the BGE (though there’s less of them due to the smaller community).