Makehair and Aqsis help

I am having trouble with the Makehair script. When I export my hair object I get the .rib file and the folder but blender will not run aqsis.

All I keep getting is this error:

Saved rib in C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.rib
Saved image in C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.tif
C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.rib
‘aqsis’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I installed aqsis in the default directory and copied the hair.slx file to the shaders directory but nothing works. I can’t get anything from the MakeHuman site and I’m not very good at coding in Python yet. If someone could help me out that would be great.

Hi,

Have you ensured that the aqsis binaries directory is on your PATH? You can check this by running a command prompt and typing…

aqsis --help

If not, you need to go into the control panel, choose “System–>Advanced(tab)–>Environment Variables” then select the entry “Path” in your “System variables” list and make sure that the location of aqsis is included, normally something like “C:\Program Files\aqsis\bin”.

Hope this helps.

Paul Gregory

Thanks for the help, that was the problem. But! now I get this message.

Saved rib in C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.rib
Saved image in C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.tif
C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.rib
Warning: Cannot open file “C:\Torque\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\makehair\makehair.rib”

Any thoughts?

Could be because of the ‘space’ in the path. I don’t know exactly how MakeHuman calls Aqsis, if it doesn’t wrap the path in double quotes it will be a problem. Aqsis is perfectly capable of dealing with files in folders that have a space in them, but the Windows command system will have problems if they’re not properly wrapped.

If it’s easy, it might be worth trying it in a path without a space. Also, if there is any way to see exactly what command line MH is creating that might be useful in tracking down the problem.

Cheers

Paul Gregory

Thank you for your help pgregory. I should be able to take it from here. Thanks again.