Making a commercial and relative big game with BGE

Lasd words: I think Blender’s death is the amateurism and the noobs who does nothing but wants everything.

Now it is the time to ban Endi from the Blender forum… (I will come back of course to write questions in the BGE section - but without face: with a new nick.)

Oh and yes: I want to make Crysis 3 with BGE at home. Yes.

Sorry! Rude. Took my meds…

Wow Endi, you need to scale back a bit.

As it may be read for others, I think it can be useful to share my recent experience regarding the licensing issue:

I recently finished a commercial project with BGE to be published for thousands of people (no details since the work is still under some NDA before its release).

Given the amount of copies and the fact that publishers like to have things 100% assured we gave a lot of thought in the licensing problem. The final solution we came up with was:

To have a main file with a “Welcome to my game/interactive project. Loading …” and call a game actuator to load the actual game file. This game file can have any name (e.g. copyrighted.xyza) and can have any license.

That way you don’t have to patch Blender (and if you did you would have to share the patch anyways so it’s kind of pointless in my opinion), and the only content that has to be GPL is the one bundled with the blenderplayer (the load scene).

Also on top of that we used some .pyc instead of .py files (be aware that compiled python - pyc - are cross-plataform but not cross-version) and we were ready to go.

We packed the project for the 3 plataforms (Linux, Windows and Mac) having only a few problems (different python version used for the official binaries in blender.org required for the pyc to be generated per plataform).

I hope that helps more people to not be afraid of using BGE for real.

@dfelinto

Thanks for the simple solution. I hadn’t realized that there was a logic brick that allowed you to open a separate .blend file.

One Question, did you compile your python scripts because they may be infringing on the GPL license? If so, how do you link a compiled python script into the blend file?

The whole thing I dont get with the GPL and the BGE Python thing.

If I create an image and store it inside a .Blend and distribute that .Blend along with the player im all good.

If I create a text file containing a story I wrote and store it inside a .Blend and distribute that .Blend along with the player im all good.

If I create a text file containing a python Script and store it inside a .Blend and distribute that .Blend along with the player I have problems?

Confusing!

MCHammond, the reality is that the legal situation is unclear regarding scripts.

No, not at all (that would be just as illegal if not worse). I compiled because of specific terms of my contract (they were paying me not so much for the first job, but we would keep doing variations of it later, so this was an agreed way to provide me job-security).
A compiled python file works just as a non-compiled one. Blender will first try to find a .py and if it can’t be found it will look for a .pyc.

Haha my old topic. My dream is true: I am working on a relatively big game with BGE…

@abc123: Nice to hear that the bge project is off the ground and running. :slight_smile:

I always believed that it was possible, it just needs to be proved.

Edit: It’s nice to see those great Boom assets being put to good use. I’ll be downloading/donating. :wink:

Read it all and I have no clue about how to make my game sellable!, and abc you where sutch a bag those days!

second link in his signature that is the game he made. the game is free but if you like it you make a donation, so that is how he want about get some money of it I guess.