Making a Cube Move In a Circle (ie Follow Path Constraint)

Hi All,
I have tried and tried, and wonder how to do this…
I have the default scene of a cube.
I create a curve bezier circle and scale it up a bit.
I select the cube and add a follow path constraint.
I type in the name of the curve into the follow path constraint.
I select the curve and turn on the CurvePath button.
The cube does jumps to the edge of the circle, but now what?:confused:

How do I actually make the cube move in along the circle?

Thanks

The cube should move when you change the current frame / scrub the time line / press ALT-A.

MIke

Alt-A in the 3D window, or Ctrl-F12 to see a rendered animation.

Ok,

Got it!
I set my path length to 50.
My cube goes in a circle and stops at frame 50.
How do I make my cube repeat the path?
I assume there are out of range type controls for ping-pong loop and constant (etc…)

How do I make my cube repeat the path?

Calvin answered this in this thread.

That was an accident I bumped an old thread, take a look here for a more updated answer:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86766

I was hoping for a more “automatic” soution, I don’t want to plot points manually.
Isn’t there a repeat checkbox somewhere?
Shouldn’t this be a feature of the constraint itself?

Unless I’m missing something (very possible), that “plot points” solution doesn’t seem to work.

Not totally automatic, but :

Create a one bone armature, parent the camera to the bone, position the camera on the end of the bone, keyframe the rotation of the bone, select all the bone’s rotation curves (POSE), change the extrapolation to cyclic.

Mike

hello atom,

• select the path in the 3D view
  • open the ipo editor window
  • in the ipo editor window: select ‘path’ as ipo type (usually there is the ipo type ‘object’ selected)
  • you will see a more or less blank window with two small black lines going horizontally one at 0.0 and the other at 1.0
  • now click two CTRL + LMB clicks, the first near the coordinates 0.0 / 0.0 and the second directly on or above the second black line at 1.0 and a way more on the right
  • now open the ‘curve’* menu (still in the ipo editor window) (be sure you still have the ipo curve selected)
  • click ‘extend mode’ and chose ‘cyclic’
  • run the animation

*if you are in ‘edit’ mode of the ipo curve (‘tab’ button) then the menu is named ‘point’

Thanks lax,
That is just what I needed!

Is there anyway to move the points once I have created them?
I tried right-clicking and left-clicking on on the points, but they seem unmovable in the IPO.

Click “Tab”, this will take you to edit mode. Once you select the dot you want to edit, you can click “n” to get a transformation panel, where you can enter exact values!

the same interaction sheme you use to manipulate vertices of e.g. a bezier curve in the 3d view window applies to the ipo curve in the ipo editor window.

in other words, like CALVIN said:

with selected ipo curve, hitting ‘tab’ button moves you in (and out by hitting again) edit mode of the curve.

there you can select the ipo curve points and move them by hitting ‘g’ button just like moving and hanling vertices in 3d view window and edit mode e.g. of a cube.

most of the commands you use to manipulate vertices in edit mode of the 3d view apply to the edit mode in the ipo curve editor , like ‘s’ for scaling (with two points selected) or ‘n’ like CALVIN said

to get a transformation panel

and so on.

the ‘Blender Guide 2.3’ is worth a look, its still very useful:
http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/ch14s03.html

Great!
I knew it was possible, I had done it before, but it has been a while.