Making a custom budget pc build for blender 2019 - advice needed

Hello,

I’m currently planning to upgrade my years-old PC to a budget friendly build.

What I will be working in mostly:

1. Cycles still renders (GPU)
  2. Evee.
  3. Video editing in Blender/other software.
  4. Moderate to Hi-res Modelling/Sculpting in Blender.
  5. Simple physics simulations in Blender(occasionally).
  6. 2D Graphics- Krita & GIMP.
  7. 3D scanning.

I am not planning to use it for any gaming purposes. And I do not care about how the PC Case looks (neither the trending LED lights).

My budget ~1000 USD

Here is a custom build recommended by CGDirector

Parts List:
CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 2700 ($224.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 AM4 ($88.09)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX1060 - Asus Turbo ($299.60)
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit DDR4-2666, CL16-18-18-35 ($57.99)
Storage SSD: ADATA 120GB SATA ($19.99)
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 ($134.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX550 550W ATX 2.4 ($54.99)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ($59.98)

Total: $940.62

I’m in India so the prices differ here and there, but I still feel this is a pretty decent build for the price. I’m not sure whether all the parts are compatible. It’s my first time trying to build a PC rig. I have done a bit of research but I am really a novice in this context.

Is this a reliable build with respect to the list of things I will be doing on it?
Any specific advice on building a PC for Blender?
And my biggest concern, are these parts compatible?

Thanks a lot for reading the whole thing. Any advice/suggestion will really help me out.

-Sayan.

1 Like

Can’t help with the overall compatibility question, but a couple comments: If possible make sure the GTX1060 is a 6GB version rather than 3GB. Is this Linux or Windows? That 120GB SSD is going to feel really tiny!

for compatibility, you can put your build at https://pcpartpicker.com/ and it will flag any incompatibilities and give you hints on performance.

Yeah i would definitely recommend the 6gb GTX1060 over the 3gb. And 120GB is indeed very small. Maybe add a 500gb - 1tb HDD. I have both and quite happy with the SSD performance and HDD for a lot of resource material and backups/older files i’m not currently working on. (and not to expensive to add!)

I might go for a Dual boot with Windows and Linux if required for certain applications but currently I plan to solely use Linux. Will you elaborate on this? Do I need to make any changes in the build relative to which one I choose?

Thanks for the GPU and SSD advice. I will make a change there! :smiley:

Thanks a lot! Do you recommend that I use a combination of both? What SSD and HDD combo are you using?

Thanks!! :wink:

I don’t know that much about hardware, so for compatibility make sure you do your research online. I currently work on a store-bought MSI laptop. But i work with a 250gb SSD and 1tb HDD (both usually around 75% full, every month i clean some stuff up and back it up to a external drive). I have around 100gb alone for system files and programs. (windows 10, programs consist of mainly Adobe package, Blender(s), substance painter and designer, unity, maya.

So 120gb gets full very fast :slight_smile:

Okay I have a better idea now! Cheers :wink:

would also recommand 128GO or 250GO SSD with a 1TO HDD at least, make sure you have the 6 go 1060 and that’s all

I would go cheaper on the cpu and put more money on the gpu and RAM of course. Something like this:
PCPartPicker part list
A 128gb ssd should be out of the question. 240gb is an absolute minimum imo.

1 Like

You want todo video editing with 8gb of ram? …
… hmmmm

1 Like

Facts. I’m thinking of throwing in 2x8 GB ram-sticks. Won’t be beyond my budget and 16 GB should be good for basic editing right?

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys! I have made a list of items after taking the suggestions and this is what I got. Please take a final look and anything to add/remove from this?

It exceeds my budget a little but I hope it is worth it.

1. AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  2. CRYORIG - H7 Plus 59 CFM CPU Cooler
  3. Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
  4. Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  5. Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  6. Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  7. Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Turbo Video Card
  8. Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
  9. Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
3 Likes

I think that should be a great system for you.

Thnx for all the recommendations ! :smiley:

SSD drivers sound nice, but ti’s really not necessary. I new hard drive with about 1.5GB space is fast enough. You might consider, that you might using the cpu for rendering rather than the GPU. This is because of ram limits.

That is looking better, I was going to say that if you are going to be rendering mostly on the gpu then ditching the 8 core cpu for a 6 or even 4 core cpu might be better if that allows you to get a better gpu. But then the difference in price between 6 and 8 core cpus isn’t that great anymore thanks to AMD I guess.

1 Like

SSD drives have gotten pretty inexpensive, and the most noticeable performance upgrades I’ve ever done have been replacing spinning disks with SSDs. It’s an affordable luxury in most cases.

In the US you can buy a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD for $150 now. Just to put this in perspective, that’s more than twice the disk storage for all the computers in the cluster of Sun servers used to render the original Toy Story movie plus the entire frame-store used to hold all the finished renders for the complete movie.

And the 6GB of memory in the Nvidia 1060 is 16 times the system memory of the largest of those Sun rendering servers as well.

It’s nice to have to worry less about such things these days, but there’s always a point where what you want to do won’t fit in the resources you have, so you have to adapt and figure out how to make do with what you have.

1 Like

So true and it’s nice that you brought this up. I have been working with a rig which dates back to 2009. And yeah it takes a lot of patience and tweaking to get high quality work out of it, but it was worth it. I learnt a lot in the process about memory management and rendering speeds.

But now blender 2.8 doesn’t support the GPU I have anymore, so I have to change the whole setup coz the 2009 motherboard isn’t compatible with the latest GPUs.

I plan to stick to this system, for as long as I did with my current one. So squeezing the most out of my budget won’t hurt I guess. :wink: