Making a game tileset using procedural textures and troubleshooting a square gradient

Hey guys, was wondering if I could get some help regarding procedural textures and tiling.

I’m trying to make a procedural tileset. A tileset usually has a set number of unique tiles to make it usable in a game.

I’m having trouble with the four convex corners. The concave ones I have no problem with and I’ve already finished making them.

The trouble is when I get to add the noise to randomize the transition between black and white, it’s not working the way I hoped. The added noise texture (named as a Tileable-noise Group Node ) is ever so slightly different and I think it’s because of my lack of knowledge in dealing with texture coordinates and a bunch of trigonometry and all that. It’s really close to getting seamless but I don’t know what else to do to make it so

I can’t attach a video so I’ll just link to it. https://imgur.com/a/cpEebV4

The base square gradient I made (named edges inside) for the convex corners are also slightly brighter (I just eyeballed it in a color ramp/map range, I’m not really sure what the proper way would be) And I think that’s whats causing the slightly different texture when I add in the noise.

So what can I do to make the convex corner square gradient look as consistent as the concave square gradient?

If you have any other solution in mind that’s in an entirely different approach, I’ll still be happy to hear about it. Also since I’m a new user I’m limited to only 1 image embed and 2 links :frowning: Happy to share more details if anyone is confused.

Here’s the blend file I’m working on.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-scsrVzfmTOoUBZXV7-Fy73E8JMVvP5/view?usp=sharing

Objects are in edit these please collection. And they have the active material ready for editing

Here’s what I meant by the convex corners being slightly brighter

And also here’s the square gradient node layout that I’m using

I haven’t gone through the whole node tree, but it seem to me that this here:

is a far simpler way of creating those corners, but of course, I could me missing something.

Oh yes. It tock me a while to understand the tile mapping trick and i got to the same conclusion as @LordoftheFleas . Here i show the different settings in one node setup but this are two materials for inner and outer edge tiles…

Great! Thanks @Okidoki and @LordoftheFleas I’ve tested it out myself, and it mostly solved my main problem in this thread. But I instead used a map range so when I input that into a color ramp, I’ll have pos 0.5 mapped to the middle of those outer tiles while pos 1 will be mapped to the very edge (everything’s black). I’ll be testing out if what I did needs more optimizations and it currently has a messy UV system lol. Your node setup @Okidoki looks very clean and the inversion is very simple so I might integrate that to what I did :smiley:

1 Like