Making Armature Pickup Object

Hi All,

I have been playing around with Stickman and I have come to block.

I have stickman traversing several NLA strips then he comes to a halt at a cube.
The cube has a Copy Location constraint applied to it that is animated and timed with the stickman pickup pose. The influence is animated from 0.0 to 1.0 over a single frame. This does work, but cube does not parent to the hand, it parents to the base of the rig.

Is there a way around this?

I have attached the BLEND file.

Attachments

ras_stickman_walk_cycle_1e.blend (554 KB)

That’s strange. I think it should work the way you’re doing it, and I’m not sure why it’s not. There is a way around it though. Add an Empty and bone parent it to the hand bone. That’s Ctrl-P with the armature in pose mode and the hand bone selected. Have the copy location constraint on the cube target the empty. Go to the frame just before the influence is keyed up and snap the empty to the location of the cube to get the correct offset of the cube’s center from the hand. That works.

If BugMan2000 can not figure it out, I guess it is a bug.

Submitted, let’s see what the coders have to say…

Not a bug, just a typo. I had arm.IK.R for the bone name instead of armIK.R. I feel like such a fool for wasting Ton’s time!

Odd thing is, however, Blender will allow you type the name of a non-existant bone into the field.