making bones visible in rendering?

Is this possible? =/
How?

Regards,
Chris

if you want to animate what’s in the 3D window, set your frames, then press Ctrl plus the little button that is identical to the reder buttons button. ( the one that looks like a little picture ) However, if you want to make the armature visible in a regular render, you will have to make an object/objects, that resemble/s the armature, and parent that to your armature. also, if you just want to be able to see your bones while in solid mode, click the ‘x-ray’ button.

hm…so it isn’t possible to display the bones as a wire or a solid in a regular rendering without making new objects which “replace” them visually?

I like to make the bones of my model visible to show in a small video what happens while the model moves his leg t.e.

Regards,
Chris

Like a screenshot?

You could make a 3d Window render as Modron suggested above (set the 3d Window background to black and show only the bones).
Then do a regular render and combine the two in the sequence editor.

GreyBeard

but I got 520 frames to render… isn’t it a bit difficult to render each frame in window-mode?

Regards,
Chris

Hold down the control and press the little window icon button and it will render a movie of your 3d window as per the settings in your anim buttons (I would use avi raw for this - no compression). You can load your 3d window movie into the sequence editor and combine with your final render (don’t forget to change the file name or it will overwrite your other movie).

GreyBeard

Forget it, my idea doesn’t work :-|. I forgot that the 3d window render doesn’t use the camera but rather the view (aslo aways renders a grey background but chromakey plugin could solve this). It would be difficult though not impossible to match the two views. Looks like the easiest way is to add modelled bones parented to the real bones as suggested above.

GreyBeard

actually, 3d window render will follow the camera if you are in camera mode AFAIK. Not sure about the other problems mentioned.

actually, 3d window render will follow the camera if you are in camera mode AFAIK

Yes it does but you have to make the two rectangles that show the extents of the camera view exactly the same size as your viewport. Perhaps by splitting the window (smacks self on head). I’ll give it a try and repost if it works.

Yes it works :smiley: The only thing I found is that I had to set the background to black and save with that default and then reopen otherwise the background rendered in the 3d window used my old background colour.

So vertically split your 3d window. Go into camera mode and zoom so that the camera extents are just inside your viewport. then adjust the viewport size (where you split it) so that it is the same as the camera extents. Render just your bones. Do a regular render and then combine in sequence editor (add)

gingerbread man sample, low quality jpeg avi (save as):
http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/vbone.avi

GreyBeard

Seriously cool approach to a video tutorial. Can’t wait to see it.

Hey! Thanks! :slight_smile:
Unfortunately… I alredy rendered my video (watch turtle-trachemys in finished projects)

But this is one more thing we discovered in blender - so it’s kinda good to know.

Thanks!
Regards,
Chris

Hmm… I decided to update the movie with the bones. It works great. Except of the grey background. I tried to set it white over the theme colors…but didnt work. Also not after restarting blender… What did you say about the chroma plugin?

Regards.
Chris

The chroma plugin sets a particular color to transparent/black. So all your grey background parts become invisible.

Determine the rgb values of the grey background:

1. render a frame
  2. in the render window left click and hold and the rgb values under the cursor are displayed.

Load your bone movie in sequence editor and then with the movie selected add->effect->plugin and select the chroma_rgb plugin (google Blender plugin repository if you don’t have it).
With the strip for the plugin selected press the “n” key and input the rgb value from above and possibly adjust the tolerance.

Then add your regular rendering movie and add the two strips together.

I just tried the above and it does work so just ask again if you have problems.

GreyBeard

Hi! I want to render the 3D window as said above, but nothing happen…

I use CTRL and click on the render icon…

Philippe.

Its the little icon beside the lock icon in the 3d window header. Tooltip says “Render the Window (Hold CTRL for Anim)”.

GreyBeard

Thanks GreyBeard !

I didn’t click on the right icon ! It was the right icon… in the wrong window !

Now, it works. Thanks ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Philippe.