Making Eyes?

I’ve been trying to follow this tutorial but to be honest it’s just a bit confusing:http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Creating_Pixar-looking_eyes_in_Blender

is there a better one out there? From step 5 I get confused!

The Pixar eye design is a sort of “industry standard” for realistic looking eyes, but it’s not really a beginning tutorial. You might want to try Calvin’s cartoon eye, on Calvin’s Simple Page. I’d help but I’m not sure what “step 5” is in the wiki tutorial, since the steps aren’t numbered.

hey! i followed the link you gave me and i nearly have the whole thing done.My only problem is my constraint thing doesn’t seem to be working. He says my eye should follow the empty but it’s not. I’m using 2.45 and the screenshot he has looks a lil different! Any ideas that can help me?

The usual reason Track To constraints don’t work is the axes are set up wrong. Is the name of the constraint (Default: const) highlighted in red? If so, then the constrain set up has a problem.

Easiest thing to do is to switch the target axis buttons until you find one that works.

Proper thing to do is to turn on the axis display (in the Draw panel) and check out which direction the object’s axes are pointing, then figure out which one points “up” and which one you want to point toward the target.

ah i get what you mean there. Can you look at this screenshot,this is how I think it should be setup based on what you said above. In this shot I have the eyeball selected!

i really wanna get this to work! :spin:

I see. You have the Align to X axis and Up is Z axis selected. Good, that will probably work. You also need to specify which object Sphere.010 is supposed to track.

In the Constraint Panel, in the Target OB: box, enter the name of the empty in front of the eyeball. Spelling and Capitalization count. If you spell it wrong, when you press Return, whatever you typed in will disappear. If it doesn’t disappear, then there is some object, somewhere in your scene, with that name. (Hopefully it is the empty in front of the eye. This is why naming objects becomes important when models start to get complex)

You can use Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v to cut and paste names within Blender. Hover the mouse over the text box you want to copy or paste into and press the appropriate keys. Of course, you have to select the empty to get its name to appear somewhere. Then you have to reselect the sphere to get back to where you were to do the pasting.

Hey - My favorite topic!

Here’s a reasonable tutorial…
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85722
(If I do say so myself!)

ugh.this one seems a lot longer and harder to be honest! i’ve gotten to terms with the cartoon eyes and i can make them move etc. But to be honest it’s when these tutorials get the explaining the texture sections that it gets jumbled and more presumptuous. whats needed is a clear video tutorial.Everything was going fine until I got to the “white material” section and then it just got a bit daft for me.i was gonna leave out the veins just to keep pressing on with the actual eye but i can’t figure it out! :mad:

I actually linked to the eyeball tute before I realised that you already had the eyeballs made and were having tracking problems. My apologies.

Carry on with the cartoon ones if it’s not too late!

Regarding tracking, something to note is that every object has it’s own X,Y and Z direction and it’s initially set according to the angle you were viewing the 3D window when it was created.

You can change the object’s axis to match the global X,Y, and Z before tracking by selecting the object and hitting CTRL-A.

If you turn on “View Axis” in the object buttons and experiment with a cube you’ll see what I mean.