Making Movie Posters?

I’m wondering what software would be best suited to making movie posters (a

GIMP

Scribus

or Inkscape?

And what are some of the differences/similarities of Scribus and Inkscape?

Thanks

LC

It depends on your skill. If you have no skill you can always make one and call it art.

Gimp is good enough.

Scribus and similar software (indesign) are for page layout rather than for designing graphics. As such, they are used in the final process before sending the product for print.

You would not design a brochure in photoshop / gimp and send that to your printer (though, it is possible).

You would use scribus to set up the document (size, dimensions, bleed allowances etc… etc…), typeset the type, add images designed in photoshop / illustrator (raster / vector). photoshop doesnt have the tool for proper page layout, neither do they have tools for specific print requirements, i.e. bleed allowances.

As such, scribus and indesign have the tools specifically aimed for making products for print (and similar). While photoshop has tool necessary for creating complex raster images, illustrator for vectors.

I see; I think. :stuck_out_tongue:

So are you saying that you would make the graphics themselves with the GIMP, then align everything with Scribus, that is, if you plan on printing it?

Now if you don’t plan on printing it, could you just use the GIMP?

Or the GIMP for graphics and then lay everything out with Scribus?

I’d make the image in GIMP and do the text layer in Inkscape.

If you are just making a poster for internet display, you’d just use GIMP. If it’s just to be printed on your home /school printer for fun / a general school project or similar then GIMP is still acceptable. If it’s to be printed at a proper printing press, scribus is the way to go.

Personally, depending on the image, i’d still use scribus to create the finial product. Keeps things tidy… You would have gimp files with edited photos and graphics anyway, then another one with them imported and arranged to create a poster, I’d would be using indesign (scribus) to arrange it all since its made to be better at that.

anything that can save in the cmyk color model for print…

basically they all work but if one of the apps doesn’t support cmyk you might have to use something like cinepaint to convert the color models later… :slight_smile:

Models? You mean like rendering an image from a model made in Blender? :smiley:

Well, I wasn’t necessarily thinking about doing it that way, although that would beviable, as my modeling skillzzz really are nill. :smiley:

I was hoping somehow I could figure out this 2D stuff. Yeah right…:rolleyes:

He said colour-models, not 3D models. Also known as colour spaces, since certain mediums can only display a limited number of colours (computers / monitors for example are limited to 16mill)

RGB and CYMK are considered differernt colour spaces / models. Addictive Vs subtractive.

I see…

I blame the wordwrap…:evilgrin: