Making parallel faces invisible

What I need to do is described below! I’m not very good with trignometry, so I don’t know how to apply this within the bge.

Monster:
Do you mean something as described in this video?

I have a demo somewhere. I will post it later.

Thank you Monster, I forgot to mention you on the quote.

@ torakunsama
I have set up such a material! It is not that complicated.
With the ColorRamp you can adjust when the plane starts to fade!

planeFade.blend (495 KB)

Here it is:
Prof. Monster’s Aberation (good for nebulas)

The funny thing is it is inspired by the video above.
I had to find out I’m not a great nebula designer ;).

@ Monster
why do you do it via python? A simple nodematerial will do the job perfectly! :slight_smile:

GLSL only!
I do not have GLSL on all of my laptops even if the GLSL method is more efficient :yes:

ah… ok. that makes sense :slight_smile:

Here is a second glsl version! For “add” planes. The first example was for alpha blending. this one blends to black! Looks kind of cool!

nebula.blend (582 KB)

@ ndee:
OK, thanks, your setup woks to a degree:
It’s very hard to have it work with alpha textures.
The setup only works on positive values for the normal. It means that the face will fade if it’s viewed from negative X, Y or Z.
I got it to work by adding another normal vector multiplied by -1, but I ot pop ups.
But this method is prefered!
@ Monster:
Yes, it works, but I need to play a little more with it to make sure it rally works. I saw some edges once I used GSLS with textures.

Is there any “Converter” that will turn a GLSL into a multitex etc?

You could bake ;).

But really if you can express the effects in multi-texture than you do not need GLSL. SO it would e nice if you create a new material to check how it look without GLSL.

The purpose of GLSL is to add “procedural” material (not to confuse with procedural textures of the renderer). This means the GPU runs a few simple algorithms over the render output before showing you.

So converting GLSL into Non-GLSL is like converting a movie clip into a still image. It is possible but you loose the animation.

How do you combine this technique with an PNG with alpha? I am trying to use this to create a couple of planes with a bush texture.

EDIT: Sorry made it work using the texture alpha inside the node. Later I will post a blend.

Ahh, so it is like an filter that is applied before the render on top of the texture?

more a filter that modifies the output

You have two different processors:

vertex shader -> modifies the mesh in the render pipeline before it gets rendered
pixel shader -> modifies the rendered pixel to a different value

But I think there are others with much more knowledge on this.

@ torakunsama
ok, here is a working example with a textured alpha plane! Hope this helps you out! :slight_smile:

nebula_02.blend (508 KB)

is this hard to do in blender?

http://www.atomontage.com/

I do not think you packed the image.

@martin.hedin
ups… you are right.
Here once again!

nebula_02.blend (513 KB)

Thats cool, I made an irregular cloud! Just hit P! :smiley:

nebula_03blend.blend (590 KB)