Making some side money with Blender.

Does anyone hit a point in time where they want to freelance with Blender to make some extra money? The prospect has been eating me up for some time and I"m not sure where to start.
I’ve got some experince, about 3 years worth and before that I played(err, umm… used) with Maya for 2 years when I was around 13.

yeah, im at that point now. Had a lot of stuff with 3Ds Max…then I started useing blender and never went back…officially Ive made about a thousand dollars off of blender…unofficially (as in not using it at my old job) Ive made 1,599.

EMM, me too did some money with blender, but hey what approach did you follow?
did you go to Odesk and looked for jobs there for example?

You can always make models and sell them on turbo-squid. Best thing is that your models will always be there, and you will get commissions up to years in advance.

The issue is that for some weird reason (maybe since I was legally blind for a dozen years) I can’t model very well, concepts fall apart, and I’m bad at visualizing things. I’m into compositing, lighting, materials, simulations and the like.

I can do some basic modeling(not complex stuff), you average car, and other non organic stuff. But not organics or anything within that realm.
What I’d kill for would be some commercials for products, compositing work, lighting and the like.
Basically I’d like to fund(make it slightly less painful) my college, justify my hobby, make at least $10 an hour or so and have an excuse to build a sweet computer to further my hobby.

That’s pretty much what i’m thinking as well.

Since your good at texturing make texture packs and sell them off and at the same time you can make basic models with high quality materials and textures to sell off as well.

That’s about where I’m going with it.
I’m not “good” making textures but I can use say stuff from CG textures to make rather nice materials.
I’m learning GIMP so perhaps sooner then later I can market stuff.
Perhaps my mini tutorial series on composting that I’m working on could give me a bit of revenue. It will be (very) non invasive adsense ads. BlenderGuru is very good but he doesn’t go that deep or complex, I might be able to exceed those two things and create a niche.

I don’t think you can sell texture packs from modified versions of textures from CG Textures. Here’s a bit from their About page:

CONDITIONS OF USE

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:

• Private or commercial use
  • Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
  • Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
  • Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

It is NOT permitted to:

• Sell or distribute any of these textures in an unmodified form, or where the derived product you are selling or distributing is a Texture or a collection of Textures. IN OTHER WORDS: Do not sell or distribute any of these textures (modified or not) by itself or in a texture, material, clipart, website theme or scrapbooking pack!
  • Bundle the images with software such as paint programs, 3D programs, photo-kiosk software.
  • Reselling or redistributing the images at ‘print on demand’ services (mugs, t-shirts, mouse mats, etc)
  • Use the textures in graphic design themes or templates sold to multiple customers on digital market places (this includes templates of websites and business cards).
  • Selling or redistributing skins for laptops, phones and other devices, created with images from CGTextures.
  • Stockpile images with the goal of making a local copy of all textures on the site.
  • Using a special program (spider, leecher) or script to automatically download all Textures on the CGTextures website. Users who try to mass download will be banned from the website automatically.
  • Interfere with the security or otherwise abuse, disrupt, place excessive loads on, or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the CGTextures website or any system resources or networks connected to this website.
  • Release the Textures or derivative products under Open Source Licences

I read their licensing around a year ago,
I don’t plan on doing texture work(especially packs of them), and I will definitely have to use/purchase/etc the textures with proper licensing. I was using CG texture’s as an example of what I’ve done with their textures for my own personal work.

The best way to tackle commercial textures is to get a digital camera (an 8 MP compact is more than enough) and then get Genetica (Basic Edition is enough) to create procedural textures and tileable textures from your photographs.

This way, your stuff is yours without any issue about licences.

Why would u use blender instead of max ? max 2 or max 12 ?
poser sites like renderosity don’t think ya can make much.
turbo only a very few really killer artist makes anything there.mostly max files.
theres a lot of texture makeing apps n stores.
i like gimp but it’s not what i would use for making textures.
photos r always at odd angles so ya need apps to fix theam alot of work to make textures.
contract work ifie n depends what app thay use mostly max.
been a CGI artist sence 1998.
best bet to make real money
own sites like turbo ,daz
work for ilm ,ea sports

I see your point and it was a thought of mine as much of the models with textures are everything but .blend/.obj.
With format conversions you lose a lot of information most of the time, such as materials, lighting and such.
I don’t know, I make money as it is from other things and have a lot of irons in the fire.
However the idea of using to Blender to keep my Starbucks, aquarium/reef, coffee roasting, and electronics addiction going would be nice.
If anything I’d like to use Maya, I used it when I was 13(I wish I had some of my first work, it would cause laughter) and learned it quickly enough. There is an ad for an internship on another island out here.
They use Autodesk(maya, Nuke, etc) software and can give you college credit.
I’d do that if I could, even though my degree I am going for is totally unrelated to CG. I think I could use some extra credit.

The trouble is, most people aren’t very good at modelling, so they go to sites like turobsquid. The way to make decent money is to become good at something most people aren’t good at :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re into still images etc. maybe look at some stock image sites or ask bands or whatnot if they need art / posters / graphics for some reason, make yourself known.

I think I might spend $1000 or so on a CNC machine to create nice wood work.
Reliefs, scenes and such. To add to this possibility I have lots experience working with local and exotic woods as my father does a lot of work with wood. Where I live there is a ton of tourism and it seems that many people want nice work without shelling out hundreds for it.
Unfortunately I am not great at modeling so I am going to work on some prospective work and more then likely buy/build a cnc machine :slight_smile: